“Popping The Question | Trip Of A Lifetime”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Atlanta, Georgia
“Popping The Question | Trip Of A Lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2010

My recent trip to Melbourne from Atlanta, GA in the USA with my fiancee, Candis, was based around my plans to 'pop the question' in a most memorable way. After reading about The Cullen Hotel, I decided with our love for art and design this would be a perfect fit for the occasion as well as an excellent place to stay for a few nights.

I was able to get in touch with the Sales Coordinator at the Art Series Hotel Group, Beckie Mitchell, who works with the company that owns the hotel. Beckie went to great lengths in helping me come up with a plan to make sure this surprise would be one that neither I nor Candis would ever forget! With it's wonderful panoramic view of Melbourne, located in the Prahran district, we decided that the rooftop and it's gorgeous view would be the perfect setting, followed by a wonderful and romantic dinner at a restaurant that she suggested.

When the big day came, Candis and I were doing some 'shopping' in the Prahran area when I suggested we 'pop in' to see this great new boutique hotel I had read so much about, based around Australian artist Adam Cullen. Beckie (who mind you made a special journey to The Cullen from her office across town) was there to greet us, as we had secretly arranged, and take us on what Candis thought would be a casual tour of the hotel. The attention to design, layout, color and of course the vibrant artwork is striking throughout The Cullen, from approaching the entrance through the hotel lobby and throughout the rooms. After describing some of the details about the various original and print pieces by Adam Cullen adorning the walls of the hotel, Beckie lead us up to the top floor and the rooftop. As she slid open the opaque glass door to the outer balcony there was a single table with 2 chairs, 2 glasses and a bottle of bubbly chilling on ice! Since Candis had no clue this was for us we turned our attention to the gorgeous view, just as the sun was setting, of the city of Melbourne. In my many trips visiting this wonderful city, this was the first time I had been able to see the entire city from such a perfect vantage point! Candis looked out from the corner of the balcony and just as she turned around there I was with her ring in my hand! She was in utter astonishment, and had no idea this was all for her, so once she said 'Yes' and we got a grip on ourselves we turned our attention to each other and the excellent bottle of champagne, drinking as we took in all that had just happened amidst a sunset overlooking Melbourne. We then checked into our room (the staff at the hotel had already arranged for our bags to be taken upstairs earlier that day to maintain the full surprise) before heading downstairs where a driver was waiting for us arranged by the hotel. After a spectacular meal at a restaurant recommended and reserved by Beckie we returned to the hotel and settled into our room - a most perfect fit for our tastes.

Our room had a long layout, with some wonderful key features worth mentioning:
Bed/Bedding - incredibly comfy, and to be honest the best sleep I've had in recent memory
Kitchenette - came in very handy over our stay complete with fridge, electric range, bar sink, dishwasher and minibar snacks that were organic and healthy - a quality we always look for
TV - large flat-screen and networked into the main hotel with interactive menus about the hotel amenities and other info
Shower/Bathroom - sleek and clean, motion-sensor fan, and a nice big shower!
Storage Space/Cabinets - lots and lots of space, even enough for women ;)
And of course stunning Adam Cullen prints and literature in the room

Beckie had even left us a lovely card to say congratulations and offering any further assistance on our bedside table!

All in all I can honestly say this is one of the most memorable hotel experiences I/we've had. The attention to detail and caring about the little things both in customer service and the hotel's layout really made such a lasting impression. Becky and the entire staff were so accommodating, especially with consideration to my special plans. The quality of service was second to none and members of the staff genuinely went out of their way on many occasions to see that we had all our needs met. While we mainly ate our breakfast meals in the restaurant, the food was always excellent and freshly made to order alongside wonderful service and modern decor.

I highly recommend this 5-star boutique hotel, whether on a business stay, an interested artist's getaway or for a romantic break just minutes from the CBD of Melbourne and the waterfront of St Kilda.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank damonf82
JoshoMelbourne, Hotel Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 18 February 2010
Thank you to the author for your review.

On behalf of The Cullen team “Wow & congratulations!!”
I have spoken with Beckie and passed on your thanks and appreciation. We are all so pleased you stayed with us and that we could make this special occasion a very memorable one.
We wish you all the very best for the future.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2010

so this was a business trip, and therefore I wasn't paying, but let me just leave a review nevertheless. This hotel is simply stunning, there are very few faults I could find with it.
Good things:
Location: hotel is in the young, trendy and bustling part of Melbourne, is awash with great places to eat, shop and be seen. Try Fog for amazing food on Chapel Street (2mins from hotel)
Rooms: On the small side, but perfect for me on my own. Great showers, and I know it has been said before on this site, but the beds at the Cullen are simply to die for! I wish I could have had a lie in!
Gym: not really a gym, a few light weights and a running machine or bike or 2 are okay but not enough for someone who likes a full gym
Reception: staff were charming, helpful and friendly, what more could you want.
Bar/restaurant: great food, breakfast was lovely, staff a little fond of themselves, but the menu is large enough to accommodate all tastes
Wifi: is expensive, and I believe in this day and age it should be free in most hotels like this.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2010

Over and above the industry standard for service... Friendly and generous staff in all areas of the Hotel.
Rooms are small, but if all you really want is a good bed and shower - then you're all set!
Beds and pillows are fantastic - as are the bathroom products and shower.
Ideal location - stones throw to chapel street shopping, restaurants and bars.
Highlights are... the Artwork by Adam Cullen, the Service (a special mention for Ben, Matt and Emma), and the Creme Brulee!
Thanks for the bike Ben!!!

sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2010

We stayed at this new hotel recently. The hotel staff were very friendly & in particular some when out of their way to help out.
The rooms are very funky & modern. For people sharing a twin room note that the Bathrooms are seperated from the room by frosted glass therefore some people might find it weired but it was fine for us, we actually thought it was very clever!
The hotel is a few streets away from Chapel st, close to supermarkets which is great as the roooms have kitchenettes, close to public transport & across the rd from the Praham markets. I would stay there again.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

My husband and I stayed here pre Christmas for a shopping trip to Melbourne - from check in onwards the service was seamless and charming. The room was great with lots of different unique touches. I agree that the beds were amazing....
We loved the location having previously stayed at The Hatton found it so much better for shopping etc.
My only criticisms and this is because I do think it helps a new property to list them are - the bath/shower had a metallic, ladder style towel holder which was broken and quite precarious and there needs to be more hangers... now really if thats all I can find wrong.
Have already recommended the hotel to so many people and hope to return next weekend with work!
love it

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Carlton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2010

The interior of this hotel is fantastic, with the art, and a lot of nice touches in the interior design reflecting one of Australia's best contemporary artists, Adam Cullen. The room we had (balcony deluxe) was also great, with probably the best hotel bed I've slept in, so much so that I asked them to forward me details of the bed (which they did).

Service was excellent, we were welcomed by Jessica when we arrived, and she couldn't do enough for us. We were there for my girlfriends birthday weekend, and the staff did everything to make this a special one for us.

Thank you to the author for your review.

I appreciate the time you have taken to write about us! We have had a number of guests contact us about our “Art of Sleep” beds which were especially made for us. Thank you also for mentioning Jessica, who is one of fabulous Guest Experience Agents.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kind Regards,

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2010

The hotel is located practically in the center of a very nice neighborhood with good restaurants and chic shops, as well as those catering to more basic needs, such as pharmacies and grocery stores. Yet, the location is strategically insulated from the hustle and bustle of a town center. The room is well appointed and clean. The front office staff is friendly and helpful. The cafe offers a decent menu of good food and the waiting staff is courteous. The Chinese restaurant is the only place of the hotel that I do not recommend. The service staff is inattentive and the manager (the man in suit, I think) impolite. As much as I like the artist's work, I would love to see a selection that better suits a hotel environoment.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
JoshoMelbourne, Hotel Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 28 January 2010
Thank you to the author for your review.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! We are very lucky with our location, and that our guests can have a unique Melbourne experience just out of the city.
Thank you for trying our restaurants, the Terrace is a great place for relaxing and dining. It has become a very popular place for our Hotel guests and locals alike.
I am disappointed to hear the experience and service you received in Hu Tong dumpling bar, this is not characteristic of the high standard we strive to achieve and I have passed your feedback through to the food and beverage team for review.

I appreciate the time you took to up-load the photo of our Hotel smart car (which a lot of our guests hire out to zip around town!)

We look forward to having you back next time you visit Melbourne.

Regards,
Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Chapel Street
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,252 reviews
Melbourne Parkview Hotel
#27 of 158 in Melbourne
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,607 reviews

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!