“Great hotel, terrific art, professional staff”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the [The Cullen] in Melbourne for a week and it was great. From cow in the entrance, to the art by Adam Cullen, to the very knowledgeable staff the whole experience was enjoyable.

As some one who spends to many nights in hotels, to find one as unique as [The Cullen] was great.

Highly recommended

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank JamesSC
JoshoMelbourne, Hotel Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2010

Thank you to the author for your review.

I appreciate that you took the time to upload some photos of our place on your review. The guest experience team at The Cullen are truly locals, and are always willing to help our guests. I have passed your kind comments onto them.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,201)

Reviewed 22 March 2010

What an amazing hotel. Definately made our holiday that much better staying at the Cullen first up. Freindly and very efficient staff. Will be staying again no doubt.

Thank you to the author for your review.

Great to hear that we made your holiday a special one!
All of us look forward to having you back.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 21 March 2010

We did not expect anything unusual. The Cullen is great. We loved the room, the restaurants, the convenience and most of all the art. While we did not know Adam Cullen, we loved his playful depiction of Ned Kelley. The staff was extremely friendly, caring and helpful. We would gladly stay there the next time we visit, which we hope to be soon. This is a great hotel and I can't wait till the additional Art Series hotels open.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you to the author for your review.

I am really pleased that you had a great time with us at The Cullen. We look forward to welcoming you back with us soon!

Reviewed 14 March 2010

Close to public transport, shops along Chapel Street, Restaurants, nightclubs, Prahran Market & supermarkets
Beautiful decor everywhere inside Cullen Hotel.
Magnificient city views from the balcony.

The Cullen Hotel is highly recommended and worth staying.
Please make a booking with this hotel

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
JoshoMelbourne, Hotel Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2010

Thank you to the author for your review.

We are very lucky to be in such a great area of Melbourne, and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Our best review is when someone will recommend us to their friends and family, and I would like to thank you for offering this.

Reviewed 14 March 2010

Adam Cullen is an Australian artist whose bold “in your face” style polarises people – you either love his art, or hate it.
As unorthodox as it might be to start a hotel review with an artistic critique, The Cullen Hotel (named after the artist) houses enough of his striking works to qualify as a gallery and appears to have adopted a similarly bold approach to the boutique hotel experience.

The hotel is not huge, it has an intimate feel. Hallway lighting, fixtures and coverings on the accommodation levels is muted with well lit framed Cullen prints adding a sense of drama and bold colour as you wander down the corridor to your room. The room, a deluxe suite, is immaculate. Soft tones, furniture and ambient lighting all combine to create a funky, understated style without a hint of pretension. It’s the little things you notice as you explore your room that make all the difference – the i-pod dock on the bedside table, the quality flat screen television mounted on the wall. There are quality provisions in the kitchenette area, plump pillows on the bed (the most comfortable I’ve slept on in years), quality linen and drapes and blinds on the windows that actually succeed in blocking out the all too early morning sun.

Nowhere was the boldness of the Cullen more evident than in our bathroom. I won’t describe for fear of robbing you of the amazement felt upon seeing it for the first time.
I wish I could do that with my own bathroom !!

Downstairs, a well stocked bar and bistro serving a wide range of quality dishes with attentive and genuinely helpful staff. An attached dumpling restaurant completes the picture.

If you can drag yourself away from the Cullen, you need not travel far for a taste of everything that makes Melbourne a destination of choice. Chapel Street, Prahran, with its large collection of boutiques, cafes, restaurants and shops, is literally around the corner and a great place to grab a famous Melbourne flat white and watch people, trams, and time, go by – that is, if you can drag yourself away from that bed in your room.

In my opinion, The Cullen has done for the boutique hotel experience what Monet did for painting.

My advice is book now and experience it before you ring and get told there’s a year’s wait.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you to the author for your review.

What a fantastic and very much appreciated review. I have spoken to all our team members and read through your review with them.
All of us at The Cullen like to ensure that our guest receive a genuine and somewhat inspiring experience, even if you are not an art lover. We like to think that our guests can have an appreciation of Adam’s work – in a relaxing and comfortable environment.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 March 2010

I only managed to stay in the Cullen for one night, but I do have to say that I am glad that I did manage even just one night! The room was very well appointed and very functional - especially the kitchenette!! The large kingsize bed was so comfortable and the television was big enough to enjoy movies. My one complaint about the TV is that there weren't enough channels. No MTV, Channel V...

I love the little balcony that looked out onto Commercial Road and the fact that it lit up at night. The cafe downstairs is amazing and the breakfast that was sent up was very good (and I have to say that the waiters are quite hot :p )

The only problem i encountered is that I turned up to check in at 12noon and was told that my room wasn't ready yet and there were no other available rooms for me to be in. The girl at reception said that it would be best to wait till 2pm or that she would call me if it was ready earlier. I waited in the cafe until 2.15pm with no call and when i went to reception, i was given another room. It would have been nice to get a call (was really craving a shower and a nap after a long long weekend at a wedding in Rye). Also, when I got a call that the car that I booked for the airport was ready, there was no offer to take my bags down. Plus there was no room service available at 2am (well, no one picked up the phone).

Other than that, the reception staff were fairly courteous and efficient.

I'll be back in November for a longer stay and am looking forward to fully utilising the kitchen with some fresh produce from Prahran market.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo

Thank you to the author for your review.

Your review was very constructive and I can appreciate your comments regarding check-in time. I have spoken with our team, and we apologise that your room was not made available before 2pm and that a phone call was not given. I am pleased that you enjoyed our specially made “Art of Sleep” beds; these seem to be very popular with all our guests!

We look forward to having you back in November!

Reviewed 3 March 2010

I loved staying at The Cullen. From the moment I walked into reception, tired after a long day at work, and was met by such a friendly and welcoming receptionist through to my checkout the following day I was delighted at every turn. The hotel is fresh and bright, colourful and inviting. Doesn't try too hard to be hip yet is incredibly stylish and completely unique. I stayed in a Junior suite which featured a balcony overlooking Commercial Rd. I didn't really need the balcony but enjoyed the vista and being able to have the doors open for fresh air. The room had a kitchenette which I didn't use but was perfect for a self sufficient traveller. The bed was so comfy and the pillows were divine. Nice products too - Sanctum. The Adam Cullen art work in the room was playful and bright and really enhanced the positive feeling in the room. Oh and food: great dumplings for dinner downstairs at the upmarket dumpling den and a delicious croissant for breakfast via room service. I didn't want to leave and can't wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business

Thank you to the author for your review.

All of us at The Cullen are thrilled that you enjoyed your recent visit! It is feedback like yours that encourages all our staff to continually strive to make the best experiences for our guests.

I truly hope to see you back with us in the future.

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Art Series - The Blackman
Chinatown
Ovolo Laneways
Ovolo Laneways
#13 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!