Art Series - The Cullen
    US$77
    US$73
    Hotels.com
    Average 3/5
    St. Kilda Junction Accommodation(St Kilda)(Great Value!)
    US$160
    US$130
    • Fitness centre
    US$114
    US$84
    • Restaurant
    Pullman Melbourne Albert Park(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
    US$153
    Hotel Claremont(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
    US$54
    US$49
    • Breakfast included
    Mantra St Kilda Road(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
    US$118
    US$115
    • Bar/Lounge
    1,274 results
    All reviewsfrosted glassprahran marketacross the roadchapel streetroom servicerestaurant downstairsjunior penthousefunky hotelfantastic hoteldumplingschinese restaurantcomfortable bedsgreat showersmall kitchenettecafes and restaurantsned kellyyour doorstep
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 23 October 2010

The bed was so comfortable, pillows like sleeping on clouds, high quality everything, and excellent service. We will be back, after trying many 4.5 star motels in Melbourne, the art series is a clear winner.

• Stayed: October 2010
    1  Thank meeks_meeks
    Reviewed 20 October 2010

Lovely quiet room. Beds like sleeping on "Cloud 9". It was a shame that the hotel's customer service let them down.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
    2  Thank Devine1Auckland
    Reviewed 15 October 2010

The hottest great vibe hotel out!!! A shot of the most outrageous, fantastic artwork ,invigorating stuff.Top service from hip happening staff .Loved it from the moment our feet hit the floor.Staff recommended the Fog restaurant around the corner awesome food ask for a French martini sensational.Rooms outstanding funky well appointed.This is the place to stay its what we would expect from Melbourne.

Have to come back to recharge Chris and Andrea Deane.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank crdbunbury
    Reviewed 14 October 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at The Cullen. I was here for several nights. Prahran is a lovely suburb and the hotel is very well located. My favourite was Greville St for cool cafes and shops. The Cullen is also very close to the train station. Staff are very friendly here. However, I did notice that for a hotel that is less than a year old, there are signs that either the fittings and fixtures were hastily put in and not of the usual high standard or that wear and tear has been unusually high. In my room on the 5th floor, this is what I noticed during my stay:

- lights above the stove was not working
    - one cupboard door above the kitchenette was falling off one hinge and not sitting flush when it is closed
    - towel rack in the bathroom has become unstuck from the shower glass to which it had been glued. Thankfully the towel rack seemed to be fitted well into the ceiling above.
    - the little glass shelf above the toilet cistern is tilting at an angle (making any objects you place there slide down to the bottom and possibly into the toilet) because it has become loose from where it is fitted to the wall

I also had some minor issues with housekeeping oversights, which does make you realise that The Cullen, whilst very good and different to stay in, is perhaps not on the same service level as 5 star hotels in Melbourne.

- my bathmat was taken away and not replaced on my second day of my stay
    - the daily newspaper I had requested for the duration of my stay was not delivered on my second day. I had to ring reception to ask for a copy to be sent up.

I think housekeeping in general need to be more observant about what needs fixing when they are cleaning the rooms. After all, they are the ones who should be looking at all the surfaces, fixtures and appliances carefully when they clean or make up each room every day.

I still really enjoyed my stay here because I love Adam Cullen's art and I believe the ArtSeries hotels are a fantastic addition to the Melbourne hotel scene. I do think though that things could be improved and more detailed attention given to making sure that all rooms are in good shape for each guest.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
    2  Thank quevara
    JoshoMelbourne, General Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2010

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I am really pleased that you have brought to our attention what you experienced during your stay with us.
    In regards to the maintenance of the Hotel; whilst we are brand new, the Hotel has an extremely high routine maintenance program in place. I apologise for the issues you experienced on your recent stay – and can assure you these have been addressed and rectified.
    Whilst we normally receive fantastic reviews about our housekeeping staff, on this occasion I notice the attention to detail was not to our normal practice. Our executive housekeeper and team have been briefed about your review.

We are very happy though that you did enjoy your stay with us, and look forward to having you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Josh O’Brien

Reviewed 10 October 2010

This hotel met and exceeded our expectations. From the first contact with the staff at reception where we felt immeadiately welcomed, to our room which was spacious, modern & very comfortable - we just fell in love with Melbourne (and the Cullen was a great part of that love affair). We enjoyed exploring the area around the hotel - Prahran Markets, Chapel Street and all the quirky side streets - we could have just stayed in the area (though we didn't!). The Cullen is in an excellent transport area - the city is a short train or tram ride away, Bridge Street (our favourite shopping area) and St Kilda likewise. Even though we spent every day out & about - we began each day at the Cullen with an excellent breakfast at the Terrace followed by a chat with the front desk staff, using their suggestions and local knowledge to plan our days exploration and after a full on day, returned for our ritual nightcap (thanks for introducing me to the Espresso Martini!!!)
    We will definitely stay at the Cullen again and plan to very soon.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank GCtogo

Thanks for sharing your experience!

We are very happy that for first time to Melbourne you stayed with us. We are even happier that you had an amazing time!
    The team on the desk know most of the hidden nooks in and around our area, so we can offer a true Melbourne experience.

I have to admit, the Espresso Martini’s are pretty amazing!

Kind Regards,