“Quirky, but still elegant”

Art Series - The Cullen
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Prahran
Melbourne, Australia
“Quirky, but still elegant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2010

I have been back & forth between Sydney and Melbourne for the past few months, living in hotels, and this is by far the best one of the lot.

The service is excellent, the staff are wonderful, the location is prime, the rooms are amazing & the clientele is young & cool.

This place has a lot of character - it's very quirky, but still remains elegant.

I have lived here on & off for the past two months and it's been an absolute pleasure. I am sad to be leaving.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
JoshoMelbourne, General Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Fantastic to hear you have been enjoying your stay over the past couple of months with us. As a return guest of the Hotel your feedback is invaluable, and we really appreciate it.
We are sad to see you go, but hopefully you can drop back by the hotel and say hi when your next in town.

Kind regards,

Josh O’Brien

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Greek first
sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

the hotel itself was o.k but the staff at the front desk wear over the top rude to me and gave out wrong information taking me off course to wear i needed to travel and took no blame for there mistake

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank nospam7676
JoshoMelbourne, General Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
Thanks for letting us know about your experience.

It’s disappointing to read that our service was not up to par. We always receive such great comments about the team at the Hotel, and I apologise that you didn’t get to experience this during your stay.

I would be happy to discuss this further with you if you would like to contact us.

Kind regards,

Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2010

We were super-impressed with the staff at The Cullen. From the folk at the front desk to the housemaids, the maintenance gal and staff we encountered in the carpark, all were friendly, courteous, relaxed and helpful. What a delight. The north facing deluxe studio room we had for 3 nights was very comfortable, well equipped and funky in design and decor. Wall mirrors enhance a sense of space in these modest sized rooms. Mostly our stay was very quiet, the windows are well glazed but designed so a small side window can be opened for fresh air. All in all, loved it here.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
JoshoMelbourne, General Manager at Art Series - The Cullen, responded to this review, 14 December 2010
Thanks for sharing your experience!

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s great to read that not only the reception staff but the back of house team (housekeeping and maintenance) took great care of you.
We are really pleased you loved the features and design of the property.

Love to have you back with us again soon.

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

I stayed here with high expectations. For the most part, these expectations were met. The rooms were nice, they were quiet, they were clean, the beds were nice, the tvs were good and there is all the 5 star things you would expect (ironing board, bathing cap, tv, fridge etc etc). The art theme was also quite nice.

Where it fell down for me was on three fronts which is why I am generously giving it a 3 star review.

Firstly, I think the sheets were itchy which to me is indicative of one of two things - cheap sheets or more likely, cheap laundry detergent. If the sheets irritate your skin, something is wrong regardless.

What really got me though was the credit card surcharge...on ALL CARDS. This is the first time I have seen this; I expect it on occassion with an Amex but then you whip out your Visa/MC and you can avoid the 'fee'. Well not here you can't. So, your advertised room rate is actualy 2-3% too low because unless you carry around loads of cash you ARE going to get hit with this.

The other 'gotcha' that I hate - charging for internet access. If you really care about your guests and are a 'premium boutique' hotel, you give people internet access; especially for what this place charges. Those internet charges and the credit card hits are just two little but very annoying 'screw yous' that pushed me over the edge to write this review. And yes, other hotels try to charge for internet and hit you on Amex and for the same reason, they should get some heat in the reviews on it as well (I will be doing one for the next worst offender shortly).

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Fantastic to read that for the majority you enjoyed your visit with us.
We pride ourselves on fantastic facilities & more importantly down to earth service.

Thanks for also letting me know about the sheets in your room. This is very unusual as our sheets are extremely high quality and thread count. I have informed our laundry about your experience as we have only ever received positive remarks about our beds and linen. I would like to offer my sincere apologies that this was the case during your stay.
Majority of Hotels will now either recover their costs for credit cards, or build this into their price. We prefer to give our guests the option of not paying this surcharge.
In regards to internet access, we provide a high speed wireless system with 24hour phone support for our guest. This unfortunately does come at a cost.
We did evaluate our costs compared to the majority of Melbourne 5 star hotels a few months ago and found our $9.95 a day was about two thirds less expensive.

Thank you very much for giving us your feedback, we hope you enjoyed your visit to Melbourne.

Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2010

As had a meeting in Prahan area - decided to stay here rather than city. Loved the decor and setup of cullen, Dined at Hutong their chinese restaurant as well and it was truly wonderful. The room was spacious and loved the quirky touches and lots of mirrors. Huge plasma tv too. only thing with the sleep quality that i gave 3 stars was because of teh aircon - noisy humming noise and so had to use earplugs - didnt sleep well although bed was comfortable. am sure this can be fixed up by maintenance but i was too tired to call and only stayed for 1 night anyway, LOVED the hotel though and would definitely return or try the other art series hotels. great for someone who definitely want something different rather than the usual hotel business rooms.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Thanks for sharing your experience!

We have quite a number of business guests now stay with us due to our location. Whilst we are just a few minutes out of the city, the local area is a fantastic place to entertain, relax and enjoy the time away from the office!

Look forward to seeing you return back to Art Series - The Cullen

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

This is my second trip to the Cullen and stayed 6 nights. When I got there, I got held up a little because the person staying in my original room extended their stay, so I was kindly upgraded by the friendly Matt, but I had to wait a little at the Terrace with a few beers.

I loved the room... rooftop 602 with a great balcony that had a wonderful view of Prahran and beyond. As always, liked the kitchenette. There was an issue with some of the fittings in the bathroom, but not a huge deal. Also, so the housekeeping for the kitchenette wasn't consistent with each day (didn't end up with a dish towel from day 2... and no plate scrubber).

The reception staff, especially Jessica, were accommodating and friendly with hellos every time i walked past reception. I had a little get together that involved booking 603 as well for a bigger balcony and reception were great with bringing extra plates and glasses for us, as well as sending guests up.

Room service and housekeeping isn't 24 hours, but that's not a huge deal. The gym is a bit small for my liking, but it is a boutique hotel, so no complaints.

I highly recommend this hotel to young travellers who want great access to the heart of the city and awesome bars, along with a friendly reception and well set-out rooms.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank JauiPop
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

What a stay! We spent 5 nights at the Cullen in Prahan as a long weekend away. The hotel is a real delight!

First and foremost, the principal purpose of a hotel is to sleep. And boy do they get the bed right! A king size bed that is possibly the most comfortable I have ever slept in. And really big pillows too! It is a pet peeve when hotels put three pillows on a king bed - apart from my wife, who else am I sleeping with?

The decor is really well thought out, and very stylish. It makes you want to live here. One minor issue - the coffee machine in the room is awful (Lavazza). It's so hard to use, and no instructions at all. We gave up and went downstairs for our coffee. A Nespresso machine is much easier to use!

The room features a nice dining table, and a balcony overlooking Commercial Road. It was nice to step outside, but the noise was very well insulated when closed. The bathroom was very well laid out, with a great oversized shower and nice amenities. The sofa was comfortable and a lovely occasional chair.

I had two minor issues - no-one offered to help with our bags when we arrived (although when we left, they did - the reception staff were very friendly) and the room service. It comes from the restaurant downstairs, and they seem very disorganised. Our breakfast was served incorrectly, without cutlery, napkins, salt & pepper, tomato sauce, jam or butter. By the time these basic items were delivered, our food had gone cold.

Now - this is an Art Hotel. I have read some of the reviews here where people complained about the art. What fool goes to an Art Hotel and complains about the art??? Yes, some of the works are confronting - that is what art is about. If you don't want to see the art, go stay somewhere else!

All in all, a great hotel. We loved it and will be back.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Chapel Street
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,244 reviews
Melbourne Parkview Hotel
#27 of 158 in Melbourne
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,606 reviews

Been to Art Series - The Cullen? Share your experiences!