“Not Happy Customers”

Hiigh Apartments
Charters Towers, Queensland, Australia
“Not Happy Customers”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

On the Thursday before the Melbourne Grand Prix weekend , ,after having been told that we would be able to book in early ,book in was 2pm and we arrived an hour early ,upon collecting the keys we went up to our room ,it was like nothing Ive ever seen before , the room had not been cleaned it actually looked like a pack of wild animals had spent the night there ,the walls were filthy as we're the floors and most of the flat surfaces , the toilet was full of god only knows what .we rang the woman who owns,manages/caretakes this property and told her that we probably wouldn't be staying ,she told us it would be cleaned in an hour ,but wasn't really interested in the state of the room or in speaking / meeting with us ,the cleaner told us where to find her ,so when we got to her apartment ,she was doing our refund up ,there was no apology for the state of the room and was quite rude ,wishing us the best of luck getting another room ,we had booked for 4 nights and it was costing us $900. Their rules on no parties etc ,I would say are non exist ant judging the state of the room we walked into ,I would never consider staying here at all .

Room Tip: Ask to see it before you move into it ,to be sure your getting what you paid for.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaveNSher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Wodonga, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Booked here for 1 night as it is walking distance for an early admission to The Avenue Hospital.
Having read some of the previous reviews I was a bit unsure what to expect, I'm so glad that I decided to stay here anyway.
I found my one bedroom queen apartment was perfect for my requirements. It was lovely and clean, had everything I could possibly need and in a great location. The balcony was added bonus.The size was perfectly ok for a couple. I had a great nights sleep and have no complaints at all. I would recommend this accommodation to anyone needing to stay in this area of Melbourne. Good value all round.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Clearclearclear
foreign
Reviewed 13 March 2013

It had been 30+ degrees for 10 days straight and there was no air con in any of the lobbies.
Front of house was untidy and not welcoming.
The rooms are like shoeboxes.
Location good and fittings and fixtures all very contemporary.
For the price I think there is much better value in Melbourne elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms are too small for the money - better value elsewhere in Melbourne.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Adelaide
Reviewed 25 January 2013

The rooms were clean but very small. Quite happily took our booking knowing that 4 individuals were staying in the room 2 adults and 2 teenagers, but not enough room to swing a cat. I had to ask twice for a blanket for the girls bed but still didn't get one. Gave up trying. No face washers available had to go out and purchase. Kept setting off smoke detector when we used the toaster which was rather annoying. Balcony was good - blinds were broken so couldn't put up or down to stop sun coming into room. Great location for shopping and restaurants plus access to public transport. Couldn't give us clear directions on where to park car in carpark because had run out of photocopies. As a second thought offered us a 2nd key only when we were asking about a blanket for the sofa bed. It was indicated that stays of 7 nights and over the room would be serviced 1/2 way through the stay. This did not happen. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Stayed in a Queen Deluxe Apartment for 3 nights in January 2013. We were very pleasantly surprised!

Pros:
I had read a few reviews complaining about the (small) size of the apartments but it was more than big enough for two people. The kitchen/leaving room area was comfortable and well appointed, with all the equipment you need should you wish to eat in. There’s also a nice large balcony for taking your breakfast in the morning. A large screen TV and free wireless Internet (although a bit slow) were also much appreciated. The bedroom is small, but there are cupboards in the main leaving area, large enough to fit several suitcases and all our clothing so we didn't mind. I wish they would provide softer pillows though. The bathroom is also small but nothing claustrophobic! Not much privacy though… The Hiigh Apartments are located just 50 metres from Chapel St in Prahran, the hipster capital of Australia. Lots of interesting bars and shops around, but not sure were cool enough to really fit in…! For transport, there are several tram lines to choose from and the Prahran train station is just a 5 min walk down High St. Very convenient to go to the city or the tennis, only two stops away (South Yarra and Richmond).

Cons:
You can hear everything that’s going on in the hallway. And I mean everything. However, our apartment was in the back of the building so we had almost no noise from the street, which was nice. The pillows were very hard. We had a rather annoying shower that would turn cold every two minutes, for about 30 seconds, before getting hot again. That happened every time! Finally, there is a rather unpleasant smell in the lobby coming from the bin room.

But all in all, we really enjoyed our stay at the Hiigh Apartments, would recommend it to friends and will probably book there again next time we come to Melbourne.

Room Tip: Queen Deluxe Apartment was the perfect size for a couple.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tonton2602
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I read the reviews on these apartments before booking so I knew that the rooms were small. The apartment itself wasn't a bad size, more so the bedroom. The apartment was very clean and had everything you would need. Balcony was fantastic. We happened to stay on New Years eve and could see the city fireworks from the balcony. Location is perfect, a minute walk to Chapel Street. No problems aside from the fact that we never received a confirmation email after we booked over the phone and had to call that morning to confirm. Would happily stay again, price was fantastic compared to others in area.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AustThomas
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This room was the smallest apartment known to man, we arrived at 4:45pm and were unable to access the keys because they were not there, I then called a number on the door to be told "sorry it was only booked yesterday, give me a minute I'll come down and give you you're key" 12 minutes of waiting on the street later she arrived to tell me "the room won't be ready for another hour, just go get a coffee or something" at 4:45pm!!!!
An hour later we dropped our bags off to find a stinky little jail cell that I can only assume was built for the oompa loompas
The smell was so bad that my pregnant partner preferred to drive home instead of stay the night there, how they charge $180 (that's a discounted wotif.com price) for that dump completely amazed me! STAY AWAY UNLESS YOUR 100% DESPERATE OR ENJOY SITTING ON A COUCH SO SMALL YOU COULD PACK IT IN YOUR SUITCASE!!

• Stayed October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Prahran
Quest Windsor
Toorak Manor
#1 of 1 in Toorak
Punthill South Yarra Grand
#77 of 159 in Melbourne

Been to Hiigh Apartments? Share your experiences!