“never again”

Ranked #10 of 38 Speciality Lodging in Albany
Perth, Australia
“never again”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed there in December 2013, I had booked a spa room through hotel club, When we arrived there was no-one at reception there was a white board with a list of names and room numbers and a bunch of keys in a tub below it.....sort yourself out....initially the room seemed ok, I filled the spa and discovered mould coming from jets once it was turned on, there is a curfew time on the use of the spa so emptying it and starting again was not an option, the following morning when I went to use the shower the shower head was covered in mould, my husband went to reception a lovely lady kindly offered us another room for a shower but this was mouldy too, the lovely lady at reception then bleached the shower head and returned it for use, she tried hard to help us but was limited as management was away, I have an severe allergy to mould, if I have contact I require an epi pen as my throat rapidly swells shut and my face swells up, I thought after the bleach cleaning I would be ok, I was not, I required my epi pen and further treatment in hospital. I did contact management to raise the issue over the mould and the lack of care in cleaning, in particular the bathroom as there was mould in other areas and both bathroom and kitchen had not had its corners on benches and floors cleaned, this could have been fatal for me but the response was "it was the water corps fault as they had made them change to water saver heads", also the second response was"they didn't make enough money off me" I booked a spa room but hotel club booked it as a room upgrade which gave me a good price, not once did this man enquire about my health. NEVER AGAIN

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank dilligaf6733
Albanydolphin, Owner at Dolphin Lodge, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
The staff at Dolphin Lodge take pride in the presentation and cleanliness of our apartments.Unfortunately due to your health issues we could not meet your requirements..Dolphin Lodge Albany has been confirmed by Booking.com based on customer satisfaction over a period of not less than 12 months as a "great place to stay".Booking.com has advised Dolphin Lodge and I quote"Less than 10%of properties working with Booking.com all over the world will be awarded and you are one of them! Your property met all requirements to receive an award.Congratulations".In closing we always listen to criticism and address issues raised.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Our family of five recently stayed in a three-bedroom apartment for two nights, on our way to Esperance. We found the Dolphin Lodge clean, tidy, well-maintained and in a great location - a few minutes walk to Middleton Beach and a block from a number of cafes/bars. Despite staying in peak season (between Christmas and New Year), we thought the room rates were good value for money, especially as it is very difficult to find hotel/motel family accommodation in Albany. Recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I booked a 2 bedroom apartment by calling this establishment directly, for 3 nights 6 weeks in advance of a stay. My credit card was charged for the first night as agreed. I received no confirmation email or letter.

I rang 2 weeks before my stay to amend the booking, as travelling from the east coast we decided not to bring the children and therefore wanted to change to a smaller room, and cut back a night.

I was told in no uncertain terms that this was not allowed as there is a 28 day booking change only, and that regardless of what we did or how many nights our credit card would be charged the balance of the stay. This is despite the fact I called and never received any 'policy' or warning! The excuse was 'peak time', and the person I spoke to also added that 'wotif wouldn't let you change if you booked through them'.

This is not good enough and consequently am not looking forward to our stay and dealing with the unpleasant owner.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gb145
Albanydolphin, Owner at Dolphin Lodge, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dolphin Lodge Albany is an accredited tourism business with an industry accepted cancellation/amendment policy.The cancellation policy is stated on many pages of our website-www.dolphinlodge.com.au .I would like to ask the question-"Would Qantas airlines give a refund for 2 airline tickets 2 weeks before you are due to fly- with the reason-My children decided not to fly??"
Dunsborough, Australia
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We were in town for a family function, and looking for a place just for the night.

I’d booked a 2 bedroom apartment, as I thought that another couple might be staying with us. We arrived to find we’d been allocated Apartment 7 – which as it turns out happens to be a fully fitted out 3 bedroom house – I guess the original building on the site.

We didn't really do it justice – we arrived, we got changed, we went to our function, we came home, we slept, we got up, we checked out!! So we rather missed out on the delightful accommodation. If I was staying in Albany for 2 or 3 nights or more, I would definitely stay here again, on the proviso I could get Apartment 7.

How we managed to score this remains a mystery. The proprietor told my wife that we were that last people to book for that night, and it was the last left, so we got it. That doesn't entirely make sense to me, but, hey, we struck it lucky!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Albanydolphin, Owner at Dolphin Lodge, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thankyou for the positive feed back.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We were allocated an inferior apartment to the one we had pre booked and paid for. We were looking forward to a good nights rest after a long day driving but ended up with single beds instead of queen beds(not good if you are 6'4" tall). Self contained apartment didn't even have a dishwasher. Kitchen floor was not even. Host rude and couldn't have cared less. Nice position but unfortunately very poor hotel. Would never stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Lillian2010
Albanydolphin, Owner at Dolphin Lodge, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
We do apologize that we could not allocate 2 queen beds-I did explain the following-
1. we were fully booked
2.we could not allocate another apartment
3. you arrived around 6 pm to stay in a 2 bedroom apartment , bedding provided was- 1 queen and 2 large single beds .
4.the rest of your review is simply false.
Melbourne Vic
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We could only get one night here but that one night was excellent. Room great, plenty of room disappointed we could not stay the extra night nor meet the owners. Great place. A very quite part of Albany and a clean part of town. Very handy to all places.

Room Tip: Any room is great
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Busselton, Australia
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We have just come back from a 4 day break at this fantastic place. We had so much room and were charged just the basic rate. There was nothing that we did without as everything was provided. This was a real luxurious stay for us as we usually have to stay in a place that caters for dogs – but not this time. Attention to details was excellent there was nothing was missed, from tissues, salt and pepper (not usually found), needle and sewing kit and I was even able to polish my shoes (something I have never found anywhere I have been), soap, shampoo and conditioner.

We had two bedrooms, a kitchen a lounge room and a balcony. Just a shame that we could not use that more but with the horrid weather a storm front every night!!! We were up stairs at the end of the accommodation and it was really very quiet and there was no one to bother us and lucky for us there was no one underneath us either as they were doing renovations at the time. It was really clean and neat and very comfortable. My only gripe was that the shower dripped no matter how hard I tried to turn it off. As there were so many doors we did not hear the constant drips. We did everything online, one of the easiest ways of doing accommodation, we arrived, collected our key and from then on came and went as we pleased.

If you are looking for a delightful place to stay in Albany area – or Middleton beach area then Dolphin Lodge is the only place to stay. It is very close to the beach and some of the best walks are so very close. We were able to get a couple of 10klm walks in and of course at present the wildflowers are spectacular. Just a fantastic time and I am sure that the people I have already told about this will be coming and booking Dolphin Lodge. Thanks very much.

Room Tip: Anywhere there is a balcony nice breezes and fun to watch everyone go by.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keza_WA
Albanydolphin, Manager at Dolphin Lodge, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thank you for your review- sorry we were fully booked and could not accommadate you for the extra night-thanks again .