“YHA Albany”

Ranked #17 of 38 Speciality Lodging in Albany
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“YHA Albany”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I spent 2 nights here whilst taking a trip around the southwest. Most of the people staying were working, most were out early with was great for me as it many no queues for the bathroom!
It was comfortable and due to it being quiet I had whole dorm to myself for the first night and only share with one other on night two.
It was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful plus there is free WiFi. The room got a bit chilly but I warmed up in the lounge/dining area. Each guest has their own set of pans, plates and cutlery which I found to be a brilliant idea and worked very well.
Great location in town close to pretty much everything you could need, even has car parking.

I will be recommending Albany to everyone.

Room Tip: I took the 6 bed mixed dorm...it was fine. Apparently the doubles are nice
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Tartu, Estonia
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I stayed here for ten days and really didn't wanna leave. I met many new friends here. The pool room is great! This place made me feel like home. I love all the wallpaintings.

Good atmosphere , comfortable and warm bedroom, lovely and cosy living room, free Wifi and tea, friendly and helpful staff, clean and tidy kitchen......Highly recommended!

Will definitely come back here next time and watch whale !

• Stayed August 2013
Geraldton
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I went to Albany for a short trip (4 Nights) and chose to spend my nights at the YHA since I had good experiences with YHA Hostels. When you check-in the people from reception show you around and tell you everything you need to know. You even get a full set of dishes and cutlery and free wi-fi. The atmosphere in general is nice, there are nice wallpaintings throughout the hostel (Especially the big mural in front of the entrance). Kitchen and rooms were clean. The staff seemed to know the area very well and were always at hand with advice about how and where to spend the days (e.g. hire bikes for a daytrip). Last but not least I got a discount for my whale watching ticket which was the reason for my trip to Albany.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Andy S
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I am glad i chose to stay here while i was in Albany, i met some great people and had a pretty good time getting to know the place! I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in Albany! The garden is nice and it's generally a nice relaxed place to stay!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank plantslovewater
Bentley, Australia
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I've done a trip to Albany with my other 5 friends, staying for 2 nights.

Like: free wifi password (if you are fast enough to get one from reception) but cannot connect from bedroom. Hostel provided us a set of eating cutlery, dish, fork, spoon , cup

Dislike: Number of bathrooms are quite too small comparing to the size of hostel. No heater in shared bedroom, but blanket provided is good enough to keep warmth in the winter night. Kitchen cutlery were not varied, and most of them were not in good shape. Security was one issued I'm worried since most of the time the door accessed after office hours usually kept unlock.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Everyone is really friendly and helpful. They show you everything in the hostel, you have to know about and answer all your questions.
You can get some concession on tours (for example: whalewatching) if you stay at this hostel.
Clean facilities and rooms.

You have free internet for as long as you like.

Room Tip: Take warm clothes with you, if you are travelling at winter.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2013

On a recent trip to Albany Three of us needed a bed for the night and checked in here, it being the cheapest place we could find. For the price, I guess it was OK. I personally, didn't sleep a wink. There seemed to be a nightclub directly under my bed. Due to there no rails on the top bunk (mine) I moved the mattress onto the floor. I got horizontal, but no sleep. The other two guys sharing the room, one was in and out all night getting beers from the cupboard and the other snored like a freight train. Look, you get what you pay for. It was better than sleeping in the car. The showers were clean and hot and the sheets clean. Even got YHA discount and I'm not a member. I would stay there again but I would take ear plugs.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one !
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family