“Good honest country accommodation”
Review of Dog Rock Motel

Dog Rock Motel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Albany
Sydney, Australia
“Good honest country accommodation”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Great hotel, set back on the hill behind Dog Rock, with rows of rooms as far as they eye can see. Both the exterior design of the motel and, indeed, the decor of our room was distinctly 70s - you know, all expoed bricks and floral bathroom tiles! - but in a kinda 'retro cool' way. It looks like the exterior of the place has had something of a makeover sometime quite recently (it was definitely very neatly presented fro mthe outside) and I read in an earlier review that they're in the process of renovating the rooms - no small process Iimagine, since I think I recall seeing room 80-something! Kind of a shame in a way... I really came to like tohe retro look of the place :)

Our room was really big, more than enough space to comfortably house for three adults in seperate beds. There was a cool retro table and chairs, great air-con and a good quality flatscreen tele. Also had a little kitchenette-type space with all the usual hotel room accoutrement, plus a little breakfast bar, some funky retro tiles and a giant closet with the most hilarious brass-painted bricks inside. I can just imagine what it must've looked like back in the day - the whole room would've been plastered from one end to the other with brass-coloured exposed bricks and cream shag-pile carpet!

Everything about the place was ultra-clean - includin the cleanest bathroom I've ever seen in any hotel anywhere! Serious, even though it was clearly no a new bathroom, it was so very very clean. The room, the grounds, the reception, the breakfast room, everything about the place was as neat as a pin.

We had breakfast in the Lime 303 dining room - a huge bain-marie shin dig with a whopping great selection of virtually anything you could want to include in your Full English. At $18.50 I initially thought it was a tad on the pricey side but when I saw how much food there was, and given the lush surrounds, I figured my first world problems were nothing to moan about! :)

Check-in and check-out were as easy as they could possibly be and the staff were all very efficient. The chap in the morning wasn't quite as bubly as the lady who'd checked us in the night before, but still nothing for us to grumble about.

The hotel had (what I think was) a free laundry too - I didn't use it coz it was too late, but it didn't look like it required coins. Could be wrong on that, but either way - I've actually not found too many hotels in Australia with a guest laundry. Small things amuse small minds :)

One of Albany's top restaurants, Lime 303, is attached to the hotel. Didn't eat there as we were kinda aiming for a "holiday on a budget", but the menu looked awesome. Apparently they're almost always booked out and I spoke to a local who said the restaurant has a great rep in Albany.

Great location too - right opposite the actual Dog Rock (oddly enough) and only a minute or two on foot to the top of York Street, the main street of Albany. Loads of local amenities at your doorstep and a small shopping centre with a Woolworths supermarket right across the street.

Next time I'm in Albany, I'll definitely be staying at the Dog Rock again!

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies. If you want a balcony, you'll need to be in a room facing the back of...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank md3474

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

Urban environment close to the city centre. We got the deluxe room, and it was newly refurbished, and clean. We book last minute around new years time, so we could not find a more rural location, which would have preferred.

• Stayed January 2013
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Comfortable, quiet and clean place to stay. Fully refurbished rooms with nice pictures on the wall & having all usual facilities. Our room had a good view to city as well.
Thanks to friendly staff. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished rooms when booking, better to ask for a room with city & hills view
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Starcross, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 December 2012

nice big room clean and tidy close to town and shops staff are very helpful the only down side was the the restaurant was closed because it was Austrlia day so we went and got a pizza very good eagle boys and they dont mind if you eat it in your room.

Mother and Son

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Albany, Australia
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Booked over the internet, rooms looked great but when I arrived was given a room that had not been upgraded since the 70's. Was told that I needed to request an executive room to get the ones that had been refurbished. (they did move me for an additional charge).

When I arrived I was told that the restaurant was full for the evening (4.30pm check in). Went and spoke to the restaurant manager to see if they could squeeze me in early, say 6.00pm and was told no. Could not even eat at the bar. They suggested I order room service instead, which had a $5.00 surcharge. Average cost of a meal is $40-45, so to suggest that someone pay that type of money to eat in their room is insulting. Especially having driven 5 hours to get there from Perth.

I would only stay here again as a last resort. They clearly don't know how to treat customers who are paying top dollar for a room. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Make sure you book an executive room, otherwise you will be disappointed.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gerard G
Gymea, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Stayed here as part of a group for 2 nights. Rooms were large, clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was also very spacious and clean. The location of the motel is great - just a short walk across the road to the shopping centre. We had our meals here in an adjacent area to the main restaurant. Our meals were set out buffet style in another room which made it easy for us to help ourselves. The food was good and plentiful. I did however feel the staff in the bar area were not overly friendly towards not only our group but also other diners in the main restaurant area. Some of them seemed like they really didnt want to be there. The housekeeping staff however were very friendly and obliging. Would recommend the motel as it is convenient to shopping and there is a laundromat across the road.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Wonthaggi, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Dog Rock Motel is a great place to stay whilst in Albany. We stayed for a couple of nights in a twin room and were very happy with the comfort and decor. Spacious rooms with very tasteful artwork, comfy beds and upgraded bathrooms which were clean and modern.

The motel is in a great location at the top of the CBD and close to the majority of the shops. The motel is easy to access and close to the road to Perth as well as the port and Middleton's beach is a very short drive further East.

The restaurant was booked out for the two nights that we were there (which is indicative of its popularlty) however we had breakfast in the resaurant and it had a fantastic ambiance and has won a number of awards.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family