“Nicely modernised motel with superb restaurant”
Review of Dog Rock Motel

Dog Rock Motel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Our Executive room was very spacious. Although there were the tell-tale signs that the motel is older than it looks, our room had been refurbished to a very high standard, bringing it up to 21st century standards. The Lime 303 Restaurant at the motel is absolutely outstanding for dinner but it is very popular, so if you want to eat there you would be well advised to book a table when you book you motel room. The hot buffet breakfast in Lime 303 is good rather than outstanding. We found the desk staff very helpful, they gave us plenty of ideas about what to see in Albany together with detailed directions.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 January 2013

I travel to Albany for work every 3 months so have stayed in a few different places. So far the Dog Rock Motel is the best I've found. It's pretty basic, but staff were nice and it is right in the centre of town.

The shower was very pitiful with no power at all, but the bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

They boast that they have the best buffet breakfast which I would definitely disagree with. I asked for freshly cooked eggs and was told that the eggs had only been cooked "about 5 mins ago". When I tried to eat them they were cold and tasted awful. Next time I would definitely pop just down the road to Dome and have my breakfast there.

Room Tip: The Executive Rooms aren't that much more expensive so I would pay the difference
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Our first night in Albany was spent at the Best Western Motel & Apartments in an executive room. The following night we booked in at the Dog Rock in a deluxe room and it proved to be a much better option - although both reasonably expensive. The rooms are nice and refurbed, everything worked, good comfy bed but air con a little noisy when the compressor cuts in and out. It appeared to be a quiet location and we didn't hear any noise from the neighbours. We had a room with city views, although I wouldn't spend extra $$ for the view but certainly would for the refurb. We ate dinner in Lime 303 (see review) and had breakfast in the restaurant the following morning. Loved Breakfast! A nice selection to choose from - continental and cooked. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for the refurbished rooms unless on a tight budget.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank freya691
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We had a newly refurbished Deluxe room, which was spacious, very clean, modern and well equipped. The location is nice and central. The exterior is rather uninspiring, but the comfortable room was all that mattered to us. They still use old fashioned blankets. . a bit surprising. Minor complaints include thin walls, but fortunately the neighbours were well behaved. The shower hot water disappears when the neighbours use water at the same time (pressure balancing valves are not so expensive!) The aircon has a clack sound when the compressor kicks in and may keep light sleepers awake. Otherwise it was all excellent. Remember to switch the bar fridge on by the internal switch and don't assume it is on when you arrive!

Room Tip: Refurbished rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2013

i enjoyed my self at the hotel the bed was very nice to sleep in so i would go there again and also breakfast was nice at the Lime 303.It was at Albany that we stayed and it was central to where ever we wanted to go and you could just relax in your room after you had come back from where ever you had gone to,.

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Great hotel, set back on the hill behind Dog Rock, with rows of rooms as far as they eye can see. Both the exterior design of the motel and, indeed, the decor of our room was distinctly 70s - you know, all expoed bricks and floral bathroom tiles! - but in a kinda 'retro cool' way. It looks like the exterior of the place has had something of a makeover sometime quite recently (it was definitely very neatly presented fro mthe outside) and I read in an earlier review that they're in the process of renovating the rooms - no small process Iimagine, since I think I recall seeing room 80-something! Kind of a shame in a way... I really came to like tohe retro look of the place :)

Our room was really big, more than enough space to comfortably house for three adults in seperate beds. There was a cool retro table and chairs, great air-con and a good quality flatscreen tele. Also had a little kitchenette-type space with all the usual hotel room accoutrement, plus a little breakfast bar, some funky retro tiles and a giant closet with the most hilarious brass-painted bricks inside. I can just imagine what it must've looked like back in the day - the whole room would've been plastered from one end to the other with brass-coloured exposed bricks and cream shag-pile carpet!

Everything about the place was ultra-clean - includin the cleanest bathroom I've ever seen in any hotel anywhere! Serious, even though it was clearly no a new bathroom, it was so very very clean. The room, the grounds, the reception, the breakfast room, everything about the place was as neat as a pin.

We had breakfast in the Lime 303 dining room - a huge bain-marie shin dig with a whopping great selection of virtually anything you could want to include in your Full English. At $18.50 I initially thought it was a tad on the pricey side but when I saw how much food there was, and given the lush surrounds, I figured my first world problems were nothing to moan about! :)

Check-in and check-out were as easy as they could possibly be and the staff were all very efficient. The chap in the morning wasn't quite as bubly as the lady who'd checked us in the night before, but still nothing for us to grumble about.

The hotel had (what I think was) a free laundry too - I didn't use it coz it was too late, but it didn't look like it required coins. Could be wrong on that, but either way - I've actually not found too many hotels in Australia with a guest laundry. Small things amuse small minds :)

One of Albany's top restaurants, Lime 303, is attached to the hotel. Didn't eat there as we were kinda aiming for a "holiday on a budget", but the menu looked awesome. Apparently they're almost always booked out and I spoke to a local who said the restaurant has a great rep in Albany.

Great location too - right opposite the actual Dog Rock (oddly enough) and only a minute or two on foot to the top of York Street, the main street of Albany. Loads of local amenities at your doorstep and a small shopping centre with a Woolworths supermarket right across the street.

Next time I'm in Albany, I'll definitely be staying at the Dog Rock again!

Room Tip: Some rooms have balconies. If you want a balcony, you'll need to be in a room facing the back of...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank md3474
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

Urban environment close to the city centre. We got the deluxe room, and it was newly refurbished, and clean. We book last minute around new years time, so we could not find a more rural location, which would have preferred.

• Stayed: January 2013