“Top Class Motel”
Review of Dog Rock Motel

Dog Rock Motel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I had to go to Albany on business with am associate and stay the night, I chose the motel on advice from a friend who runs the local Southwest Regional tourism office.
It is exactly opposite the Famous tourist site "Dog Rock" which for those who don,t know, is a large natural lump of rock siting along in the centre of town and looks like a Labrador Dog'shead head.
It was miserable, cold wet, windy night, and it was pleasant to be greeted by typical country town hospitality.
The there are about 4 double storey buildings so plenty of rooms, the place has obviously been renovated and the work is of high standard and the room are well appointed, large, clean and comfortable. The pillows could be a bit softer and the shower rose although large has a low pressure system which doesn't make for a luscious hot shower on a cold winter' s night.
Apart from that it is a very nice place for either the business traveller or tourist, and if you haven't read my report on the motels's restaurant "Lime 303" then please do so, it is a hidden gem. Breakfast was nice, easy buffet style continental, or your choice of hot cooks to order.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level room with balcony, great views over Albany. The rear rooms can be a bit noisy...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rod Y

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Last minute booking Anzac Day ,night we had been travelling a lot only one room available. We took it arrived found a well appointed suite 2 rooms, all mod cons extremely comfortable.
Decided to relax and have a spa, then chill in the lush surroundings, up the rear of the complex, with balconies. Booked dinner in the restaurant excellent service and meal, impressed then brekky next morning before checking out. Well priced good choices, overall would recommend a experience in this establishment.

Room Tip: all great chatting to others
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I'm reviewing from a trip in Feb 14, but I always stay at the Dog Rock Motel when in Albany, which is usually for work purposes. It's central and close to everything, and has a great atmosphere. I usually stay in a deluxe room - all these types have been refurbished. A recent innovation at the Dog Rock is free wifi, which is a little patchy and unreliable, but it's available. The restaurant is good, but the prices are crazy, especially for breakfast. And don't forget Dog Rock itself - it's an iconic Albany landmark!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mollingaround
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The motel is a little dated but there is an ongoing modernisation programme being undertaken we believe. The rooms were clean and reasonably well furnished. The attached restaurant Lime 303 is exceptional but be prepared to pay for the quality.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2014

have heard mixed reviews about this place but was glad i checked in, only stayed for the one night but it was great, i must have been given one of the refurbished rooms?
fantastic bathroom, large room, balcony with a bit of a view of the top end of town.
highly recommend the restaurant and bar, a few cocktails is always good, there is a room service menu too choose from which is a change from most places in albany.
ill be back for sure

Room Tip: dress standards apply in the bar and restaurant, check before you go
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night over the Labour Day weekend. The room was spacious and we had an ok view of Albany.
The thing I found the most peculiar was booking. I booked online and did not receive a confirmation email so we tried calling the next day but there was no answer. We arrived in Albany and did some shopping. At 1pm I received a call from reception asking where we were. I said we were having lunch but we were in town. She asked how long we would be and told me they would be shutting at 8.30. I am sure check in was at 2.00 pm and I remember choosing our arrive time at 2.00pm. I felt like I had done something wrong when I was quizzed to see how long more we would be. We had a quick lunch and then went to check in. Surely considering I had prepaid for the room, it wouldn't matter what time we arrived as long as it was before 8.30?
The pillows were a bit lumpy and the internet was slow but it was ok for Albany; the location is good and there was hot water! The last time we stayed at another Albany hotel we had no hot water!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed for two nights in a basic room on our way through from Esperance to Margaret River thinking this was a good spot to stay. The room was depressing, old fashioned (60's) and unsuitable and looked like a hostel room. The bathroom was disgraceful. The staff didn't seem at all interested in enquiring if we enjoyed our stay, even though I had enquired about upgrading. The extra cost of over $70 per night to do this was not an option for us. The bed and pillows were hard and uncomfortable. The view from the room was concrete and the back of the row of rooms in front. The web site is quite misleading with picture of the renovated rooms and the new restaurant, giving the impression this is an updated and modern motel. The cost of the room was expensive as there was no kitchenette or pool. The restaurant demanded that my husband had to wear long trousers!! In temperatures of 25+ he thought that tailored shorts would be acceptable. I find it hard to understand how this motel gets a rating of **** from Trip Advisor. I would give it *.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple