“Outstanding Country Acommodation”
Review of Dog Rock Motel

Dog Rock Motel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 11 November 2008

I stayed at the Dock Rock Motel for a Conference in Albany. The Motel has been upgraded and renovated and was a delightful place to stay in this unique destination in Western Australia. The service was at all excellent, friendly and accommodating, and the food at the Motel, during the conference was outstanding. I would thoroughly recommend this property to anyone visiting Albany.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Nevermannsetal

Reviewed 24 September 2008

This little motel looks pretty dodgy from the outside, but we got a refurbed Deluxe room and it was quite lovely on the inside, no complaints at all. Decor was pleasant and modern and the bed was very comfortable!

Deluxe room came with a small fridge and tea and coffee facilities, clean and modern bathroom, air conditioning (heating and cooling). The only complaint we would have was that the building seemed very noisy - needs some additional soundproofing. It seemed that when other guests closed the doors to their room, flushed the toilet, or even spoke above a conversational level you could hear every detail. Not sure if we just had exceptionally noisy neighbours on this occasion?

Albany is a lovely place to visit, we were a little disappointed with the local restaurant choices. We asked the Reception desk for a recommendation for dinner as the motel restaurant was fully booked. We took their advice and it ended up be absolutely terrible. When I mentioned our experience upon checking out, the guy on the desk admitted they'd had some bad reviews come back from other guests. If that were the case, why recommend it to us?! Thought that was an odd thing to do.

Overall, a nice little motel if you can ignore the way it looks on the outside. I'd recommend taking a wander around town to work out where you might like to eat rather than taking the recommendation of the motel staff.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michelle_moo
Reviewed 27 August 2008

don't be fooled by the outside, it looks a little grotty but the hotel is really rather good.

We stayed in an executive room (169 AUS dollars) which had recently been refurbished, the facilities in the room were great - tea and coffee making facilities, fridge, nice toiletries.

room was comfortable with air con (although we didn't need it in august!)

we ate in their restaurant since the choice in albany is quite limited and were pleasantly suprised, it has a nice modern decor and great staff. Food was of excellent quality and not too bad on price. Breakfast buffet was of good quality with some choice.

Would definately stay again...

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katv
Reviewed 13 May 2008

well i stayed at the dog rock motel for aprox 3 to 4 months while working down there and found it great the owners and staff very helpful and friendly who cant help you enough beds were very comfortable and every thing was extremly clean . i have no problem in recomending the motel to any one .

reguards glenn adams

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bigbear7Kwinana
Reviewed 11 May 2008

This place was recommended by the local Tourist Information office in Albany. They called and secured the room booking for us but I noted that they were insistent that we were given one of the recently refurbed rooms.

We paid AU$135 for the room which is about $15 more than we've paid in other similar establishements around this part of WA.

The room was very nice and worth the extra I would say. There is plenty of space and the 1st floor rooms have a balcony with a view of Albany over Dog Rock. The shops are within easy walk if needed too.

All of the furnishings are brand new and the decor would be described as modern and crisp. A nice new suede sofa in front of the flatscreen tv and new kingsize bed are included. There is a small kitchin type area equiped with a fridge, toaster, coffee cups but bizarrely, no plates or cutlery!

All in all, a good choice of place to stay, if you can get one of the refurbished rooms that are upstairs with balcony.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank rtwexplorer
Reviewed 30 April 2008

Recently travelled to Albany on business Dog Rock Motel was great. We stayed in the deluxe rooms which have been recently renovated. Beds very comfortable. Restaurant was of a high standard. I would recommend to the business traveller

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Brenda99
Reviewed 8 January 2008

I stayed at the Hotel for two nights and had originally booked longer but my back was telling me “Get out!”
It was reminiscent of the film “Poltergeist” it wanted me to save it! The double bed was an absolute shocker!

I understand that this hotel is undergoing some refurbishment although I do not see any evidence of it during my stay. Ironically at dinner one night, at a local restaurant, I spotted a brochure advertising the hotel. I thought to myself, ”what room is that? I need to be in that one!” The brochure showed this great looking room..
Alas I never found "that room" and left the facility as soon as I could.

The room I stayed in was very generous in size, similarly in 70’s kitsch décor.
Three types of brown tiles in the bathroom each more ugly than the other!
A window in the bathroom was never bricked over when construction had undated the facility long ago. So the window looks into blackness.

Paintwork, carpet and general cleanliness was very good. New carpet was nice ..but please.. I did not need the flickering fluoro fittings on mass or the very loud A/C.

I think ultimately the thing that I did not like was the price. At AUD$128.00 it was far to high, even for peak season.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business