“What a fantastic place to stay”
Review of The Sebel Mandurah

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Mandurah
Perth, Australia
“What a fantastic place to stay”
Reviewed 6 February 2013

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment with a water view it was fantastic. The hotel is close to everything so you can walk everywhere. The staff at the hotel were friendly and very helpful. I would recommend the hotel to anyone stopping in Mandurah as the rooms are fantastic and very clean. The pool area is small but the kids had a great time and there is Dolphin Quay close by to walk to and a great little beach for small kids to swim in and build sand castles. I cannot say enough about the hotel I just loved it and will be returning in the near future. the restaurant below the hotel has great music and the food is excellent but close by you Havana a great selection of eating places.

Room Tip: We stayed in a two bedroom apartment which was fantastic. Water view room I would recommend as you...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Leighton Y, General Manager at The Sebel Mandurah, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Dear Sherron M,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback regarding your short stay in our 2-bedroom apartment. It is always pleasing to read when a guest has such a lovely stay with us.

The Sebel Mandurah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 February 2013

brilliant spot in Mandurah, friendly staff member but couple of things that can be improve; in the third floor (where I was) there is constant smell of kitchen cooking! unbelievable! It has to be fix. second which is much less important is that I had to wait for near 40 minutes for 2 fried egg for breakfast in the restaurant while there was just a few people there!
Hope it get better as I had a fantastic time there otherwise.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Dear Accorhotels.com traveller,

Thank you for your feedback as posted on TripAdvisor.

We are currently investigating the cooking smell that was filtering through the corridors as another guest also raised this to our attention. Our Maintenance Manager is looking into and will resolve.

I will be sure to advise the management of M on the Point as they are owned and operated indepenandly to the hotel; however we work very closely with them to ensure a memorable stay for our guests.

Thank you for your feedback.

Terrigal,Australia
Reviewed 3 February 2013

The Sebel is in a great position for walking into Mandurah town centre. Two complaints we had were,firstly, the housekeeping was very poor and the rooms weren't cleaned properly. Carpets and floors had dust and hair lying for days as they didn't appear to be vacuumed.
Second complaint was that the "plated breakfast" was limited to three options which is very inflexible and doesn't give the customer much choice. No fruit was on offer. Most 3 star hotels do better than this.

Dear valed47,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that your stay was marred by the shortcomings in Housekeeping and the breakfast options at M on the Point. I have since provided our Executive Housekeeper with this review so that he may raise within their daily briefings. As M on the Point is not owned nor operated by The Sebel, we have since communicated to their management of your feedback so that we may review the options provided to our in-house guests.

Thank you once again for providing your feedback.

Switzerland
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We stayed here for four nights. The rooms are spacious and have all the amenities you need. Breakfast at the M-point was good and you have a choice of three menues. The service here was excellent. We did not go to the swimming pool. Only minus factor was the kitchen smell on the corridor which, however, did not seep into the rooms, so that was not a big problem. We find the price of internet in the room quite high when compared to European charges (mostly free of charge). It is free of charge in the reception area. The staff were all pleasant and cheerful.
All in all a pleasant stay at a lovely place.

Dear Ursula P,

Thank you very much for you review on The Sebel Mandurah; I am very pleased that overall you enjoyed your 4-day stay with us.

As a group, Accor are currently reviewing our internet packages and this should hopefully provide guests with a fantastic offering. Until then, we will continue to provide free internet in the lobby area.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

As my partner’s Christmas gift to me, we stayed at The Sebel, Mandurah from 29th December to 2nd January, or for 5 days/4 nights. She wanted me to see the New Year’s Eve fireworks from the balcony of our waterfront room.

Though we paid an average of $350 per day ($300 for the first 2 nights and $385 for 31st Dec and 1st Jan), for a supposed 4.5 star hotel, customer service was lacking and housekeeping standards were even lower than a shabby backpacker’s hostel. Our experience was so disappointing and aggravating that writing this and reminiscing about our trip makes my blood pressure go up, which my doctor definitely would not be happy about.

Day 1 – 29th Jan – Saturday: Our room on the 3rd floor smelt of second-hand smoke. Only one side of the glass doors to the balcony could be opened. So we went down to reception and told the Assistant Manager that the glass doors would not open properly. She said it was normal that it could only be partially opened. Then we asked about the breakfast included in our stay and she said to just go down at the M or the restaurant. Note: we did not complain about tiny details like the toilet rolls were both half-used and the bath tub had bits of hair. We cleaned the bath tub ourselves as we’d like to do each time we stayed in a hotel.

Day 2 – 30th Jan – Sunday: We were at the restaurant for breakfast and the Duty Manager asked for our vouchers. What vouchers indeed! Thank god that the restaurant is separately owned because they have better customer service. I told the Duty Manager that the hotel’s Assistant Manager did not give us any and I would get the vouchers myself, but she said not to worry and she’d organise it herself, which she did. It escapes us up to now how the Assistant Manager did not tell us about the breakfast vouchers twice – when she checked us in and when we asked her how to go about breakfast.

After breakfast, we went out and when we got back late in the afternoon, lo and behold – a $300/day room was not vacuumed at all. Food pieces from our dinner the night before were left all over the carpet floor in the living area. The rubbish left on the table in the living area near the little bin was not removed. Same with the rubbish in the bathroom and the hair and mess left in the bathroom sink. Bedsheets were not changed as it had the same stain as the day before. Looked like only the towels were changed.

So we tried to call the reception and no answer. We went down at the reception and it was unattended. I told my partner that it might be better if we just got our money back since it was obvious that customer service and housekeeping were appalling, but she said that she really wanted me to see the fireworks on New Year’s Eve from our balcony (after all, she booked the hotel room 3 months in advance) and that we’d just talk to the Assistant Manager the next day.

Day 3 – 31st Jan – Monday: Once again, we put up the sign “Please make up our room”. This was a busy day for us when we left early and got back in the afternoon. For a $385 room, floor was not vacuumed again, dirty glasses were still on the kitchen bench, bedsheets were still stained, hair was piling up on the bathroom floors, bathtub was not cleaned, same with the balcony, and dust was piling up on the benchtops.

We went down at the reception and complained at the Assistant Manager who said she’d speak to housekeeping. Trusting her, we went out for lunch. When we got back, we saw her on the 3rd floor and all she said was “Hello, how are you?” and then went down the lift. This was the same Assistant Manager whom we spoke about our complaint just a few hours back. I looked at my partner in confusion and opened the door to our room and lo and behold – it was exactly the same mess as we had left it, as it had been the past 2.5 days. I picked up the phone and told the Assistant Manager to bring the vacuum cleaner and I would vacuum and clean the room myself.

She reasoned out that the room was not cleaned because the Housekeeping Supervisor said that the room looked okay, i.e., it did not look like it needed cleaning. I had to compose myself from getting so mad at the lacking standard of this supposed 4.5 stars Accor hotel because I did not want to ruin my New Year’s Eve with my partner. I insisted again that we were not going to have a filthy hotel room for New Year’s Eve and that she better bring the vacuum cleaner because if no one else in the hotel would do it, then I would do it myself.

Eventually the Assistant Manager came into the room with the vacuum cleaner and did the vacuuming herself, with neither a single smile on her face nor an apology. When my partner requested that the benchtops and tables be dusted, too, I thought the Assistant Manager would erupt like a volcano. The impression that we got from her cleaning was that we were the kind of guests which she did not want, the ones who asked too much. I don’t think she ever thought that we also paid too much.

To top it off, we didn’t see the fireworks from our balcony. Rushing back from dinner and much to our disappointment, we missed the 9PM fireworks and wondered where it was. We eventually found a view from another side of the foreshore, away from the hotel, for the 12 midnight fireworks.

Day 4 – 1st Jan – Tuesday: The carpet and tiles still looked clean from the vacuuming the night before, including the benchtops. Only problem was the toilet paper rolls missing. Yes, there was no toilet paper in the room. Housekeeping forgot to replace the tissue paper rolls.

Worse, when we tried to ring twice for tissue paper rolls, our calls were neither answered nor returned. Figure it out: the Assistant Manager was at the reception when we got back; it only took a minute to go up to our room on the 3rd floor via the lift; I went to the toilet and found no toilet paper rolls; so I quickly grabbed the phone and no answer. Tried again, and there was still no answer. Our calls were not returned either. We had to use the facial tissue paper instead, fell asleep, and got the male Night Front Desk Manager to bring up the tissue paper rolls.

The impression we got was that cleaning was so rushed. Moreover, there was no housekeeping at night. It was the Night Front Desk Manager who gave us the missing toilet rolls and our call to housekeeping went straight to reception. We were sure that to ask for our sheets to be changed would be futile.

Day 5 – 2nd Jan – Wednesday: The hotel staff had to make one last rude act to make them the more memorable and totally unforgettable. My partner just had to use the toilet and at around 11:10AM, someone was banging their fist at the door, then opened it. It was housekeeping. I was waiting at the lobby at this point in time, and eventually lost my cool when my partner told me about the incident.

I had a word with the Front Desk Manager, who said that it is not their policy to clean rooms, but agreed with me that if we had to pay an average of $350 for the room per day, for a 4.5 star hotel, then it is normal to expect that the room would be cleaned every day. As to the rudeness of the staff banging their fist on the door, not a single apology was given.

In contrast, though we found the breakfast service at The M restaurant very slow (we had to wait for almost an hour on New Year's Day and at least 20 to 30 minutes on the other days), the duty manager and staff always informed us of the wait beforehand and apologised. This we had truly appreciated.

Our Sebel Mandurah stay has taught us, indeed, a most important lesson. As much as we would like to support the local economy, we would not be stupid enough to do so again. Establishments such as The Sebel Mandurah need to clean up their act (no pun intended). Charging unbelievable prices for star-ratings that they cannot live up to, with housekeeping standards and customer service so low, is a form of extortion.

As much as this experience has continually raised my high blood pressure, I believe this is worth taking to the ACCC or the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission. And finally, I have also convinced my partner to fly overseas for a much better holiday. As much as we’d like to support local businesses and hence, local employment, our experience at The Sebel Mandurah has proven that it is just not worth it.

1 Thank Mel P
Dear Mel P,

Thank you for posting your review regarding your stay with us at The Sebel Mandurah over the 29th December 2012 to 2nd January 2013.

As a hotelier it is always disappointing to read comments from a guest that did not receive an memorable experience that we so tirelessly strive to achieve for all of our guests. For this I truly apologise. It is unfortunately that during your time with us that I was not contacted or informed of these recurring issues so that I could have interjected and help turn around your experience from day 1.

I have since briefed our Executive Housekeeper on your feedback relating to the room upon arrival and the standard of servicing during your stay so that he may in turn reiterate to the team on the standards expected.

Without knowing your booking details I cannot further investigate whether or not your reservation included breakfast, as this is only reason when we issue breakfast vouchers. Should a team member not present vouchers this would mean that breakfast was not included in the room rate, which may have been the situation with your booking and the reason why the Assistant Manager did not mention vouchers to you.

I have discussed the absence of the Guest Service Agent on reception with our Front Office Manager. At times, they may need to assist a guest with something urgent but place a sign up on the desk advising guests that they should be back shortly. We also place a direct-dial telephone so that guests can talk directly to the Manager on Duty. I am sorry that both of these were not displayed when you attended the reception desk.

Communication is of paramount importance within a hotel and it is evident that this broke down between Front Office and Housekeeping. Such requests should be actioned immediately with our usual Housekeeping Card left in the room to say who cleaned your room as this provides confidence that indeed the request was actioned.

We do certainly apologise for you taking away this experience; once again I am sorry that this was not escalated to me at the time so that you did not have to spend you 5 days at the hotel without a resolution to your main issues raised. Please do trust however that I have listened to your comments and have since actioned accordingly with my management team.

Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We stayed at the Sebel for 2 night & found it to be a lovely hotel. We had a studio room which wasn't very big but it was all that we needed. The bathroom was really neat & nice. There was only a few things I could pick on & they were the balcony wasn't super clean & had a few spiders & webs & also the toiulet seat was loose - but these are only small issues. The room & bathroom were clean & the bed comfy. It was a very quiet hotel even though it was the long weekend & seemed full. It is in a great location within easy walking distance to restaurants, movies, cafes etc. Hotel rooms had a great outlook over the river or canals.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Leighton Y, General Manager at The Sebel Mandurah, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Dear mcdougall7,

Thank you very much for your review on The Sebel Mandurah whilst you were a guest of ours over the Australia Day long weekend.

I have pleased that you had a great time even with a couple of shortcomings experienced whilst I do apologise for. I will let our Executive Housekeeper know of your feedback on the balcony and toilet seat and so that she is made aware.

Reviewed 29 January 2013

We stayed ina studio room with a water views and a balcony. The rooms were clean and very comfotable. We found the hotel very conveniently located with plenty of places to eat close by. The hotel resturant was excellent, the food was good quality and we found the staff to be very friendly. I would recommend a stay in this hotel.

Dear Mike K,

Thank you very much for your kind words on the hotel and M on the Point. It is always pleasing to read comments from guests indicating that they had a lovely stay with us.

Look forward to welcoming you back one day.