“Excellent winter getaway”
Review of The Sebel Mandurah

The Sebel Mandurah
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Mandurah
Reviewed 22 July 2010

The Sebel is a new hotel on a marina / esplanade and is about 5 mins walk from the shopping district. I travelled here on business with a group of six for and stayed for two nights. The front desk staff were efficient and friendly, and offered the right advice up front about the hotel amanities.
My room was at the end of the hotel that had a street view and so no balcony but I was absolutely astounded by the room size and ameniies: a king bed that virtually induced sleep and a bathroom that had a full large bath and separate shower. Most of our team had the standard rooms on the side of the hotel which have balconies overlooking the quay and are equally well appointed, but have no bath.
There are at least a dozen restaurants within easy walk to cater for all tastes but the standout is the hotel's own.
The hotel 's location on the waterways make it perfect for a relaxing walk or runat any time of the day. Even though I was here for work the hotel and location made it feel like a break.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 July 2010

My young family stayed in a new 2 bed appartment on the 5th floor. It was better than being at home!! The space was amazing, as were the facilities. We had a full sized kitchen with Miele appliances! Both the bedrooms had plenty of storage and the bathrooms were very special.

Location wise, it was great. Fantastic views of the foreshore and right next to everything. It rained every day of our stay, but it didn't bother us, as there is a movie cinema next door and loads of things to do out of the weather.

The restaurant downstairs was fantastic. They make a great coffee (spoken as a coffee addict!) and we found out too late that they served a pretty special meal. We ate breakfast there on our last morning. We now wish we found a baby sitter and had a special dinner there - the menu looked great and the service was second to none.

We have been to a lot of hotels (including Bunker Bay in Dunsborough - formally our fav!) but this was the best family holiday we have ever had. It was sound proofed enough for the baby to have a day time sleep without being disturbed by noisy neighbours, and comfortable enough for us all to feel like we were home away from home....The only thing missing was a wall clock - but lets face it, no one needs a clock when they are on holidays!

The only thing that we were slightly dissapointed about was that the parking was not under cover and a short walk from the hotel. Not really a problem if it isn't raining, but it rained all week that we were there.. I can overlook this as it was my husband that did all the running in the rain...he got the car and picked us up outside the front door.

I would certainly recommend this hotel to a friend... but not until I have secured my next holiday - I would hate to miss out!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Hotel is located on the waterfront but not well signed to point in the right direction which is the hotel and the other the apartments. The Public car park where we parked out hired car was safe but a few minnutes walk from the hotel.

The reception lounge needs to redesign so guests can relax in the lobby. Friendly front desk crew.
Business center consists of two laptops for guests to use if one did not bring a personal laptop. Internet hours can be purchased at the front desk. We found it a bit too expensive for the hour rate.

Room was tastefully decorated. We had booked a suite so we could use the laundry in the room.
The kettle took forever to boil water for coffee. Well equiped kitchen but we did not use it as we ate out for the four days we were there. Did notice that the cups had tea stains.

Entering the bedroom we were disgusted to see the glass that divided the bedroom and the bathroom. We found the switch that brought the blinds down to give you privacy while using the bathroom/toilet. Although at 2am when one of us decides to use the toilet the whole bedroom illuminates when the light is turned on in the bathroom!!!!!!

The bed was beautiful. Shame there wasn't a chair or some piece of furniture near the bed to place our personal garments etc on

Hand basin area had lack of space to put our personal amenities.Water sprayed outside the shower door through the gap of the door when showring so there was a pool of water sitting in the front of the toilet.

Cleaning seems to be NOT a priority here. The four days we stayed, the cleaner on the 1st day did not touch the bathroom. Beds were made everyday. Kitchen sink was wiped but no cups were taken from bedroom or lounge for a wash.
Rubbish stayed on the table or floor.
I left a note on day two for bathroom to be cleaned so that was done but lounge was not touched. The cushion we had accidently dropped on our way out was still sitting on the floor. There were pieces of nail still on the rug although neither of us had trimmed out toe or finger nails.

Normally we leave a good tip for the cleaners but this time we decide dit was not worth it.

We will not be staying here again. I am sure there are better serviced accomodation in the area.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bakudu
Reviewed 6 March 2010

We spent 5 nights at Sebel towards the end of our WA trip.
So glad we left the best till nearly last. We really enjoyed our stay and Mandurah is a lovely place too.
Check in was fine, and as stated by others the car park is close by so no problem there either.
The position of this hotel is wonderful, we had an amazing view over the quays from our balcony so we sat in the evenings with a glass of wine and enjoyed! The town , shops and restaurants are within easy walking distance.
The bar and restaurant downstairs were very busy but noise never went on late so we were never disturbed at bedtime.
The room was clean, spacious and modern with a big flatscreen tv. The bed was huge and comfortable.
I know the hotel was busy when we were there but 4 of the days our room was not cleaned until after 2.30pm which we felt could have been improved on.
The pool area wasn't large but it was lovely to have a cooling dip and lazy on the loungers after a busy day.
The staff were helpful and friendly. The hotel does lack a porter as you have to handle your own luggage.
Like lots of other places we stayed we had to pay for internet usage which I think should be provided free in all hotels.
The only issue we had was over the cost of telephone calls but this has been successsfully resolved.
I honestly think the hotel is not quite 5 star but is getting there.
If we ever return to Mandurah we will definately stay at the Sebel...thank you all for a lovely time.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2010

We stayed for one night on our way down to Margret River. No problems wirh check in, the car park is 20 yards away and did not see as it being a problem. Rooms are spacious and bathrooms very pleasent and well appointed.

We did not eat in the hotel went to the Stage Door for evening meal and the Dome for breakfast, both about a minute walk from hotel.

Location was very pleasent had booked a river view which wasvery pleasent. Seemed a quiet location not effected by noise.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SimonSouthampton
Reviewed 22 January 2010

Maybe the hotel share the same building with the private apartments, there was no proper signage on the building. The sign along the road leading to the hotel was also not obvious. We were a little lost as we drove to the building. The staff attending at the reception however were very friendly. The room was nicely furnished but the pullout bed was not comfortable, seems to sink in at the middle.

Liked the location the best, where you walk out to the waterfront & a nice stroll to the eateries. There's a playground nearby too where the kids had a great time playing.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank LizzyHo
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Stayed for 2 nights with hubby for a weekend away. First impressions of hotel were positive: lobby and reception area were clean and modern and staff were extra friendly.
Good location and plenty of parking across the street.

We were given a ground floor room and when we first walked in I was impressed. The room looked very clean and modern. After walking into the bathroom however I wasnt impressed anymore.

The room being on the ground floor was designed for disabled access which meant the bathroom would have been very suitable for a disabled person, but was completely inappropriate for an ordinary couple trying to get ready to go out.

Firstly I noticed the lack of storage space in the bathroom. There is a tiny shelf next to the sink which is already full of the little complementary shampoo and shower gel bottles etc and glassses, which I moved in order to put our toothbrushes and toiletries on, however that was no where near enough room for my makeup and our toiletries: I tried balancing things on the bathroom sink but they kept falling into the sink - ended up having to keep my stuff on the bathroom floor.

Which brings me to my second complaint, the shower, while huge, did not have a curtain or door, which meant that the water sprayed all over the bathroom floor (and the tiny bath mat is no where near big enough to soak it all up so the water stayed there!) and it was impossible for me to do my makeup in front of the one mirror while hubby was taking a shower. Speaking of mirrors, the one mirror in the bathroom was not even high enough for hubby to look himself in the eye, and not even long enough to see yourself full length. The lighting was also absolutely awful - one downlight in the middle of the room - impossible to do makeup in. Also there was no extracter fan in the bathroom.

After discovering the inadequecies of the bathroom mirror, i packed up my things and went out into the room to find another mirror... but there wasnt one! The only mirror in the whole room was the tiny one in the bathroom. Too bad if you are a tall person who wants to look at yourself without bending down, a girl wanting to do makeup or someone who likes to see what they look like before going out. I ended up sitting in the space designed for luggage storage with a compact mirror to do my makeup - only place in the room with decent enough lighting.

The toilet also did not have a lid which I think is disgusting, and even though we had used up and thrown out one of the complementary bottles of whatever it was, this was not replaced on the second night - not a big deal but it was noticable.

Apart from the bathroom the room was nice. We had a large outdoor area with a table and chairs, and flat screen tv. The pool was ok, they say it is heated but the temperature is far from warm. We had a dip as it was a warm day, however the surrounds are very stark and sunlounges are uncomfortable, it defininately doesnt encourage you to stay for long.

We did enjoy the bed, it was 2 singles pushed together into king size so it was large and comfortable. The pillows and bedding all felt really new and were very comfortable.

I would only stay again if I made sure I was not getting a disabled room - hopefully non disabled rooms have nicer and more practical bathrooms, and I would hope that the hotel installs more mirrors and better lighting.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple