“The good, the bad and the ugly!”
Review of Pontoons

Pontoons
Ranked #116 of 190 Restaurants in Mandurah
Price range: US$6 - US$31
Cuisines: Pizza, Australian
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The good: Steak cooked well, Marie the waitress is excellent, Roger the food and beverage manager is also excellent, we cot complimentary garlic bread and take away cake, we didn't have to pay for our meals, we did get an apology from Roger.

The bad: they lost our reservation, they lost our food order, we waited over an hour for our meals which were then brought out at 5 minute intervals - not all together, the food was awful, my vegetables were almost raw and smelled rotten and slopped on the plate with no thought of presentation, the whole restaurant is permeated with the smell of chlorine from the indoor pool (I wonder why it's not a salt water pool?), the male waiters have no idea how to wait on a table

The ugly : tried to overcharge one bottle of wine, the head chef wasn't working on a Saturday night, the tiny piece of cake they gave us in a take away container that we were too scared to eat after the earlier experience.

The whole evening was only made bearable by the efforts of Marie and Roger who couldn't have apologised enough. It's a shame the rest of the team don't give a hoot.

1  Thank Maggie B

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Made a booking for 3 tonight as we were excited to try the new menu being promoted, when we arrived our booking was not there, we ordered our meals within 5 minutes from a waiter who didn't even know what was on the menu or how it was served. An hour later our previous waiter was avoiding us, making sure he made no eye contact when walking past us. We then asked Marie (the only waitress there who takes pride in her job) where our meals were, she discovered our meal docket had been dropped somewhere & that only two meals had been written down. 10 minutes later only one dish was brought out, my brother's steak which was beautiful, then the wrong meal was brought out to us which was then sent back then finally my mother recieved her salmon with burnt skin, raw vegetables & a rotten piece of brocoli & I recieved my water bowl of spew shepards pie, we were unable to eat our meals & spoke to the manager who was very apologetic to us but said it would be quite a wait if we wanted something else (which we would have to pay for)....we decided not to risk it again & left, as we paid for the one meal and one bottle of wine another mistake was made & we were almost charged for two bottles! Our male waiter who had spent most of the night avoiding us quite arrogantly asked my brother how his steak was & ignored my mother & I completely when he should of apologized, instead he chose to make smart remarks about my brothers choice of blue steak. Will most definitely not return, such a disappointment.

1  Thank Katie B
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Having made a booking for 12 people several days before our visit we arrived to find there was no booking recorded. we were seated and whilst the food was good there was very little on the smorgasboard. We were told off for not booking and when told we had in fact booked there was no apology. Service was almost non existent and down right rude. 2 hours after eating our table was still uncleared. Not worth going here!

2  Thank Sheryl C
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Went with friends also staying at The Atrium. We were the second group to be seated in restaurant. Ordered meals which took more than two hours to appear. Staff served one round of drinks and then never returned. Approached restaurant manager for some assistance after meals had not appeared and children started to get over tired and hungry. Two out of three children had been given a colouring-in but no pencils. A waitress was asked for pencils and then never returned. A second waitress came and asked if we still wanted pencils and then never returned with them. Children very confused and disappointed. Children had been seated at table since just 6pm and were eventually fed burning hot meals at 8.20pm. Manager kept telling us they were "being plated up now". Young male waiter bringing meals to table had the worst body odor I've experienced. Went to pay the bill to find that they had double charged 3 of the meals and billed us for drinks that were not ordered by our table. We ordered one meal from the "specials" list to be told the waitress had made a mistake and it wasn't on special: the children's portion ($7.50) was larger than the adult portion ($27.00) of this same menu item. Bill was at least $60 over the actual amount owing even though they had given us a 20% discount for our poor meal service experience. Cashier rude and unapologetic. Manager had a meltdown and walked out.

1  Thank Reg R
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I should have been tipped off when I phoned to make a booking and was quickly put on hold (no problem) for a few minutes; then when the person came back to me and I said I wished to make a booking at Pontoons I was told "oh, you should have spoken over me - I'll put you through." I was transferred before I could answer and then the same person came back to me and said there wasn't anyone over there and she would take my booking and it should be ok. No worries - this happens. We arrived with my parents and the 'trainee' waitress wandered off and motioned for us to follow, grabbing a bottle of water on her way. She put it on the table and just walked off without another word. After a few minutes sitting there we eventually caught her eye and said that we hadn't been before, so she said "oh, its a buffet - just go and get your food when you are ready". We had to ask about drinks - "just go to the bar". Awful service. The food was ok, but ordinary. Veg was limp and tasted like nothing. We went to find coffee. A (laminated) sign on the coffee machine said that the percolator didn't work and directed to the instant coffee sachets. This machine was located right next to a dirty sink and I had to go and ask for a teaspoon. A bunch of them was taken and put in the basket; but it didn't seem to occur to the girl to bring me one. When I went to pay I had to wait whilst the two people behind the bar tore themselves away from their conversation. The whole experience was really disappointing, particularly after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. Fixing all of these issues requires only some simple and inexpensive improvements and training.

1  Thank SandiLuis