“Great location - cramped rooms”

Atrium Hotel Mandurah
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Mandurah
Reviewed 10 February 2011

This hotel is fantastic for winter, the indoor pool makes it a great place to have a winter weekend getaway. It's so close to town, walking distance to cinema etc...BUT, I can't bring myself to stay there again.

I decided to pay the extra to have a 2bed apartment for 2 nights and was instantly appalled at what we paid! I don't like to create a fuss and should really have complained but I put up with it.

With 2 kids to shower it was difficult, even I felt clostraphobic having a shower alone. The bathroom was very cramped. We stayed in a different room before and it seemed a lot more reasonable, but I 'upgraded' to the newly furnished room. Wish I hadn't. The pillows were lumpy and, I was pregnant at the time, had the worst night sleep I could remember!

The buffet breakfast is good, the kids have a ball helping themselves to everything! And the dinner the previous evening was lovely. The staff are helpful and polite, not over the top or in your face.

It's such a shame, I really really want to stay there again as I do like it - I just don't think it's value for money. As I said though, maybe we'll go back in winter.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank BuccBayFamilyHoliday

Reviewed 13 January 2011

My daughter and I stayed here for our vacation and loved it. The staff are all very lovely and we found the experience very welcoming. The indoor pool was just the best! The outdoor pool was just a bonus. The indoor pool is open until 10pm each night and all the children in the hotel would swim up until the last moment. Laughter was all you could hear if you were outside of your room. We had a deluxe one-bedroom apartment ocean side and it was really nice. Not modern and cold but clean and homely. We had a minor problem with in-house movies (which are all late releases for free!) on our TV and the wonderful staff upgraded us to a two-bedroom apartment ocean side. Once again very clean and nice. Both rooms had a little kitchen and you can easily cook any meal you wish. Seeing as it was our annual vacation we ate out alot. We were so well positioned in Mandurah it was only a beautiful brief stroll to a massive variety of places to eat. The Atrium also does meals if you don’t feel like cooking or going out. Everything about this hotel is fantastic for families. They have thought of lots of little extras. All of the staff, housemaids, reception, bar staff etc.. were all warm and helpful. The hotel is reasonably priced on top of everything. Thankyou so much to everyone

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Lilic1
Reviewed 24 December 2010

After hearing a radio promo, we stayed here for two nights just to get away from it all. Our two bedroom suite on the fourth floor was clean but very basic and dated. The refrigerator was so loud it kept us awake on the first night. When I asked the receptionist if they could do something about it, i was told 'We'll see what we can do but can't guarantee you anything'. That was I guess because the service man was not on duty for another few hours. The fridge however was replaced.
Dont bother calling for room service coz, there isn't any. We were a bit peckish and were advised by reception to call for a pizza to be delivered!!! There is only one small bar which was only open from 6 til 8pm and no restaurant at all so dining and brekky ar out of the question.
There are a couple of function rooms which appear to have been abandoned some years back. That's what I assumed because I could almost see thru the windows that hadn't been cleaned since Jack was a boy.
This place is way past its use by date. It was built in the seventies and is in dire need of renovation or replacement. The staff dont want to be there and you cant blame them, the guests dont either :-(
Do yourself a favour and stay anywhere else. It's a dump.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Bofman
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Having little time but still longing for another getaway, my girlfriend and I went to the Atrium for a weekend escape.
We went in not knowing what to expect, we had read the reviews but kept an open mind, reviews had been wrong before.

Before this even happened though, we had an issue: I was overcharged $25.
A trivial amount, yes, but still an amount all the same. I politely rang up and spoke to who I now know was the manager, after inital disbelief she checked into it and saw the error and refunded me without an issue.

So, the weekend came and we arrived. We were in a studio room on the first floor. After fiddling with the tricky door we went in - the room was dated with cracked tiles in the bathroom and it was rather plain but it was pleasant and clean. The room we had was above their main operations part - you know, with the water systems etc. Not the nicest view below, but we did have a slight view of the ocean.

However, the bed was awful. Terribly soft and quite easy to fall off. I can inform you with great pleasure that on the Monday we checked out they were replacing all the beds on that floor. Given my girlfriend had broken her rib in the horrific storms of the prior week, it wasn't particular comfortable for her either.

That night we had our next issue. It was hot. Very hot. It wasn't even a particularly warm night (the day had been about 25 degrees with some rain), but my girlfriend and I were more than a little bit uncomfortable and the air conditoner seemed not to be providing any relief. The only way we could cool off was to stand on the balcony, but that wasn't very practical at 2 AM in the morning.

So, day two arrived and after spending the day out, we arrive back to find the room still stuffy and horrible. I tried to fiddle with the air conditioner yet again and it did nothing, produced less air than I could produce with my own lungs.

Unimpressed, I went to the reception and informed them. This is where the hotel stands out: The service of its staff. They moved us to another room, and as an apology, we were upgraded to the deluxe studios on the 4th floor. A much nicer room with a MUCH nicer bed and cooler air conditioner. This particular room had a kitchen, though some of them don't.
The view we had was over the town, and during the night I enjoyed laying, staring at the lights and the river and everything else.

The indoor pool was very crowded on the Saturday evening, as to be expected, with many children and few older teenagers making the most, but come Sunday it was dead, and even by 8PM on the Saturday is was oddly quiet.

The hotel decor itself, whilst not dazzling, has an odd sense of pretty about it. The vine-look over each floor is a pleasant effect and the morning sun shining on the pillars makes for a nice start to the morning.

In terms of location, then the Atrium is a winner, being only minutes away from Dome, Cicerellos and that general area (you can even see the Atrium from said area).

One quick note though is that the Restaurant is closed until further notice. My guess would be because it isn't peak season anymore, which is understandable.
The bar, however, was functioning and seemed to be relax and laid back from what little attention we paid it.

If you're wondering whether you should book your stay at the Atrium my advice is to ask yourself what you want most. If it's top of the line luxury with every possible indulgence at your fingertips, then the answer is a resounding no. If an affordable, comfortable more laid back approach is what you seek, then the Atrium will suit you to a tee.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StopMop
Reviewed 9 February 2010

We stayed at the Atrium for one night after a bad experience at Seashells.

The customer service is fantastic! All of the staff were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much.

The rooms were ok, clean and what you'd expect for the money (we paid $115 for a Deluxe Studio).

The bathrooms are old but clean. My only gripe is that the toilet didn't work! The back had to pulled off to flush it.

Everything else was fine, the room clean and the bed comfy! The pool in the middle made it interesting and while the hallways smelled of chlorine once inside the room it was gone. There was a bit of noise early in the morning but this wasn't from the hotel but from the outside (dump bin and a car alrams, etc.)

The customer service here is what sold it for us after we had just experienced such bad customer service at Seashells which was double the price!, it was a welcome change!

We would definietly stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Hi We have stayed at the Atrium several times, and although the rooms are basic, having the indoor and the outdoor pool is a great advantage
The location is great just a short walk to the beach, foreshore and town
The kids loved the tennis court and close proximity to ten pin bowling - we think it is an ideal spot for all to enjoy themselves

Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2009

We have stayed here 4 times, and unfortunately things seem to get worse each time. The best thing is the location, so easy to walk to the foreshore. The rooms are very basic and a complete ripoff. We paid $220 for a poky box that you would be battling to swing a cat in! The amenities are outdated and the chlorine stench is truly awful. The pool is way too small. The linen is woefully old and overused. The worst thing though, was the NOISE... We had to actually stuff tissues in our ears to try and get some sleep. We were constantly woken by( 1. )Drunk guests attending a wedding( 2. )We could hear every time someone used a toilet or appliance above and beside our room. (3). The banging and crashing from staff with trolleys. (4) The screeching of a drunk woman guest. (5) The lack of consideration from other guests and damn wedding guests!!
We paid top rates and were placed on the first floor overlooking the front reception area and carpark! LOL..What a disapointment, with the money this place is charging guests, surely some could be spent on renovating the place. It has the chance to be a great place to stay, if run properly... But the prices should be lowered by a hundred dollars. I have stayed in motels for $85 a nite, with far better enjoyment.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family