“Well worth the climb”

Dave Evans Bicentennial Tree
Ranked #2 of 31 things to do in Pemberton
More attraction details
Owner description: A staircase encircles this 230-foot karri tree that allows visitors to climb to the top.
Perth, Australia
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Well worth the climb”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Looking at the bars stuck in the tree it doesn't seem very safe, but we made it to the top and the view was just great! Do the Gloucester tree as well for a slightly different view and stop at the Millhouse Cafe for lunch.
We stopped at the trees in Pemberton on our way from Albany to Prevelly/Marg River and it made for a nice stop off to stretch our legs and get the adrenaline flowing.
Fee was $5 parks fee.

Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Well worth the effort”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

About seven years ago I climbed to the top of the Gloucester Tree on the outskirts of Pemberton, and have been back again. The area was busy with crowds, this latest trip in the stunning south west forests once again saw large crowds at the Gloucester Tree and a large line to climb - I wasn't really interested. I had arrived at the Bicentennial Tree decked in sandals with no intentions of actually climbing up the tree, I was just going to wander around the forest taking photographs. However, when I arrived the area was empty and the tree was looking very inviting - how could I possibly not make the climb? I am glad I did, it wasn't the fastest climb but if you don't stop and enjoy the views then why bother.

Visited November 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“Spectacular!”
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

This was te highlight of my trip. It is very low key - car park in the midst of a karri forest, accessed along a gravel track. The tree is unmanned, free and without benefit of safety net or safety rope. 75 metres tall, straight up. You clamber up and down iron pegs that protrude from the trunk.
I ascended on a warm spring day with no breeze. I am young, fit and have zero fear of heights. And it was not easy! It wasn't physically demanding, but the thought that you could literally step 5 cm wrong and simply die, was disconcerting. It was an amazing experience, and the view from the top was incredible. The tallest tree in the region. Do it!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Abs140
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Even taller than the Gloucester Tree!”
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

This spot is less developed than the Gloucester Tree picnic area, but the tree itself is more impressive and taller. Also, if you want to climb the tree it is arguably easier as the spikes are positioned at a shallower angle and there are better rest platforms along the way. The view from even the first platform (as far as I was game to try) was spectacular.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Rob W
Gold Coast
122 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Large tree that we were tempted to climb”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We were tempted to climb this tree however the weather was against us and we aren't really so inclined. The infrastructure in relation to visiting the tree (boardwalks, information panels, parking and toilets) were very good and we were pleased to add this to our list of places visited in the region.

Visited August 2013