“Delightful meal in Port Hedland”

Hospitality Inn Port Hedland
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Port Hedland
Reviewed 1 April 2014

On a recent trip to Port Hedland I had the opportunity to dine in the Pilbara Room at the Hospitality Inn... what a hidden treasure. The menu offered an interesting array of meals from my friends and I could choose. One picked the steak, what a beautiful piece of meat, the other the Lamb Shanks and Mash, again rated very highly.
I went for two entrees, Prawn & Pepperoni Salami Risotto and Crab& Salmon Croquettes, obviously a seafood fan.
Both entrees were superb, the Risotto (am normally not a great fan of this type of dish) simply blew the taste buds while the subtle tastes in the croquettes were terrific.
Followed up by a lovely cheese platter rounded out a beautiful meal. Service was quietly efficient and made the evening all the better.
Thanks to all those in the restaurant.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Amanda H, Sales at Hospitality Inn Port Hedland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Patto46

Wow! Our team were delighted to read your review and so very pleased that you enjoyed their menu offerings. It is such a boost to have a Senior Reviewer compliment the meal as the team are so very dedicated and particular to ensure they provide quality produce and excellent service.

Earlier this week we also received an e-mail from a recent guest from Perth exclaiming they had "possibly the best steak ever tasted" - this is a fabulous accolade and we aim to ensure every guest is more than impressed with our restaurant. The local community also enjoy frequenting our establishment and we are more than proud.

Thank you so much for your positive review and we hope to get the opportunity to look after you in the future.

Kindest regards,

Amanda & the Hospitality Inn Port Hedland team.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

The unfortunate reality is that $180 a night is about as cheap as it gets in Port Hedland. Still, I think it’s time the owners had a go at renovating the rooms. It’s all pretty ‘60’s and for not much more, you can stay at the Ibis up the road which is a lot more modern, right on the sea-front and has what looks to be a lively bar and restaurant attached (I’ve never availed myself of those facilities).

You may have guessed that good air conditioning is important in Port Hedland, particularly in December. Annoyingly, the room I had still had one of those noisy and ineffective old box-style air conditioners. What’s more, I think it was an evaporative air conditioner, because I could hear water constantly trickling through it. Evaporative air conditioners are not suitable for the tropics for what should be obvious reasons. I drove to the Kmart in South Hedland and bought a $12 fan which was just as effective as the air conditioner and a lot quieter.

Although the free WI-FI was welcome and it worked pretty well, it was kind of irritating having to sign in every time I wanted to use it. Other places usually require you to sign in once and it doesn’t matter then if you switch off your phone, tablet or computer – you’re still connected the next time you switch on again. Not so at this place.

I wouldn’t say it’s the cleanest motel I’ve ever stayed in; the toilet bowl had significant dark grey stains, suggesting that it has only ever really had a quick brush and wipe by time-harried cleaners. I was also mildly disgusted to find several hairs on the bed clothes – something I’ve only ever seen in cheap American motels. They were definitely not mine. Okay, maybe they got there accidentally when the chambermaid was changing the linen, but that sort of lack of attention to detail should only ever be witnessed in truly budget accommodation. It’s not good enough at this price and it suggests that either the chambermaids aren’t paid enough time to do a decent job, or they just can’t be bothered.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed for a single night for work with another colleague. Requested a twin bed room, however due to an oversight by the staff we were given a room with a double bed instead.

This was picked up as we checked in, and we were given individual rooms to make up for the mistake. Very happy with the service so far!

Rooms were your basic, run of the mill motel rooms. Nothing special, but clean and had everything that you'd expect. Wifi was also available and fast, something that I hadn't had during our trip up to this point.

Food was good, but expensive from the restaurant. I would go here again even considering the price however. It seems as though everything in Port Hedland (and the entire region up there) is overpriced.

Location seemed to be in the suburbs but I did not get a chance to get out and check out the town. Being close to the beach I'd imagine that there would be likely be a decent track to go for a jog and see the sites and sounds.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Amanda H, Sales & Marketing Director at Hospitality Inn Port Hedland, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Jeff

We very much appreciate your positive feedback and we wish to thank you for choosing to stay with us when in town. We strive to ensure a positive experience for our guests, understanding that the majority of our visitors are in town for work purposes - so we aim to provide a welcoming, friendly and hassle free service to make your stay a comfortable and positive experience. Cleanliness is highly important to us, as is the provision of quality dining and excellent customer relations.

Remote locations can be on the expensive side due to a number of factors influencing the higher costs of operations, however we do believe our pricing is very reasonable considering these external factors and thank you for understanding the reality of the region.

Yes, there are some wonderful tracks and sights along the coast, unfortunately missed by the busy corporate travellers - we encourage you to return and explore the area if you can find the time - you will be more than impressed with the natural landscapes and picturesque beauty so often missed.

Kindest regards from the Hospitality Inn team.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

we had travelled to Port headland on our way to Broome we stayed one night on the way back we stayed 2 nights at the Hospitality Inn ..great stay ...great value ...great location. The rooms were motel rooms but a continental breakfast was included in the price. Staff were friendly and we had a fantastic meal there. Impressed with the place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Lost power twice in the room when trying to make a coffee while watching the television. Power did come back on after a short while then lost all power to the room around 9 pm which then stayed off for the entire night, no lights, no fridge, nothing. When complaining to staff the following morning was told it was a constant ongoing problem that they were aware of and the power outages affect several if not all the rooms, but to rectify the problem would require rewiring the entire place which would not be happening. Not good enough.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Stayed on Business in July. Rooms were your fairly standard country motel. Staff were very helpful and friendly. I wasn't able to dine at the restaurant due other commitments but had the room service. Food was OK but not fantastic like others have commented on. Perhaps this was because it was room service and is treated differently. I'm not sure of the room rate as someone else had booked the room. But if I compared it to other country motels in the country I would say it should be priced in the $150-$170 a night room rate. However being Port Hedland I wouldn't be surprised if it was double that.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2013 via mobile

I ate at the Hospitality Inn Restaurant earlier this month for a work function.
It certainly is the best restautant in Port Hedland but also rivals other great restaurants I have eaten in recently in the big cities.
I choose the fish special of the night which was a perfectly cooked piece of snapper, topped with a deliciously light butter sauce and red caviar accompanied by a mango salsa. It was delicious!!! Service was also great which it normally is.
I cant fault this place - keep doing what you are doing guys - as local residents with limited other options we appreciate a nice place to dine out for dinner occassionally!!
See a photo of the dish I aim to post 10/10!!

Stayed: January 2013
Amanda H, Sales & Marketing Director at Hospitality Inn Port Hedland, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Dear Giboos

What a wonderful, positive and passionate accolade from a Tripadvisor “Top Contributor” – our chef, Manager and the restaurant team were absolutely delighted to read your review – and thank you for sharing your photo of your delicious meal. We do find the local’s love to dine with us – and we are very pleased to welcome them – it can get heavily booked with corporates in town, but the weekends are a great time to enjoy the cuisine. In fact, everyone will be excited to experience the new menu due to be lunched in the next couple of weeks – and the meals are simply divine, unique and mouth-watering – including Crab Crostini, Aromatic Tiger Prawns, Spicy Pork Spare Ribs, Grilled Swordfish or Barramundi and a Summer Berry Custard Cake Bar to finish. YUM! No doubt we shall see you again soon! Kindest regards, Amanda