“Great Experiance”

Ranked #124 of 140 Speciality Lodging in Noosa
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Great Experiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed at gafaju Bush camp for 3 nights and had a great experiance there. The nights were good fun as there were lots of people to play drinking games with and always had music playing witch created a good atmopshere. I also enjoyed my time there in the day as you really got a feel of what it was like in the bush in Australia as you were constantly surounded by wildlife although this did include alot of bugs to take your bug spray. The Staff were very friendly and welcoming and went well and truly out of there way to show you around and give you a positive experiance. The bus driver jesse was partical helpfull and enthusiastic. couldnt have had a better time and will come back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andy C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Gagaju Bush camp is a very underrated stop for travellers. It's cheap when you're on a budget and you'll be surrounded by fun people and great staff. We ended up staying a fourth night for $10 which is cheaper than any hostel we've come across! We were able to see some wildlife and the canoeing was a lot of fun. We went into this trip with low expectations after reading some poor reviews, and were pleasantly surprised upon arrival. The key to remember is that you are camping. So keep an open mind and enjoy your company and you'll have a great time and make great friends. There's a kitchen, bathrooms, and even a Tv area where we were able to watch the Olympics. It's a step up from camping so if you're outdoorsy and want a cheap camping trip where you don't have to buy any of the equipment then definitely schedule in a stop at Gagaju!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

If you like camping, this is the place to be!

As a backpacker, I was looking for a different experience than the typical hostel in town, and Gagaju bush camp was definitely this. The more you embrace the rural setting the more fun you will have. We had a fantastic time with the staff who organized some great scavenger hunts and spartan races as well as being shown koalas and snakes by local campers in nearby forests (not too close for the snakes don't worry).

Most nights there is some form of entertainment whether it is a shuttle to the oldest pub in Queensland, cheap dinner in town or just campfire fun at the camp.

This experience is definitely what you make of it, so embrace the change in scenery and have fun! There's plenty of it there. We ended up staying an extra night and still found it hard to leave. Will return while travelling, no question!

• Stayed February 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

This was our best trip on the east coast, we met some brilliant new friends, made to feel at home by jesse and his dad dave ! We loved the kayaking and the drinking games on a night time, i have never laughed so much in my life, when people say they arent impressed wen they turn up i dont know if they expect the ritz wen its a bush camp but every thing is clean and tidy and the beds are spot on, i will definately be returning for one last farewell before i head back to the uk ! James chopper keeler !

• Stayed January 2014
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed at Gagaju bush camp for the full 3 nights, but I would have left on my first if I hadn't had to pay the $50 on arrival. I wanted to get the most out of my money and as a backpacker I'm a bit strapped for cash.
The $50 was meant to be a local payment but for just 3 days? We we ripped off.
I had called to confirm my booking with the camp a few days before, and was met with a very unpleasant man on the other end who spoke to me as if I'd just insulted him. Which immediately made me stop looking forward to the camp. I wasn't pleased with the attitudes of the staff.
On my first night, I didnt realise there were rats around, and I had a loaf of bread eaten by them. The loaf was even in a bag on my bed- in my dorm! and it was a horrible thought to think the rats had been on it.
There is no curfew, and we are all in quite a small area. So we had to put up with tonnes of noise in the small hours of the morning, a little bit of sexual harrassment from some fellow campers, and the staff also drink a lot.
The tours were unguided, it is easy enough to find your own way up and down the river, but some positive interaction with the staff would have been pleasant.
On my second day, I came back from the canoeing to find my tent and all my belongings had gone. I had been told that they were moved to another tent, but I felt very uncomfortable to know that someone had been rummaging in my personal belongings, and they could have asked permission beforehand. I had some clothes hanging out to dry on my tent strings, so they quite clearly belonged to me, but they had disappeared. And when I asked where they were, I was told bluntly that they didn't know. Anyway, after a very quick look around, they were found in lost property. Why were they moved there??
We had to move into tents on the second and third nights but were given no pillow or sheets, which meant for a very uncomfortable few nights. And I slept very badly in my whole time there.
The only good thing that I could say is that ONE of the canoeing trips was pleasant, as we came to a lake, and were able to park up, go for a walk and visit the beach for a while.
In my opinion, it is not a place I want to be spending 3 days of what is meant to be an exiting travelling experience, but if you like dirty kitchens, rats in your rooms and being bitten to death by insects, then this is the place to be.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Alice H
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

The facilities here are very basic but that's not the issue here. The staff are rude, unfriendly and extremely unhelpful. The canoeing is fun but UNGUIDED. The staff stay at the camp and sit watching TV in the office. The staff provide NOTHING- there is no atmosphere here whatsoever. As a couple in our late 20's, we weren't up for getting smashed on 'Goon' each night so we went to bed in the dorms on the first night, very very basic. You're given a pillow and sheet to use. I had about 2 hours sleep it was so uncomfortable. On day 2 the canoeing trip was good however no staff to tell you where to go or any spots of interest. Then they tell you that the next 2 nights you're to camp in their tents and they will not let you have any pillows or sheets (bedding from the previous night was taken way from us). My boyfriend and I then decided to leave as we were not told about the camping previously- we would of bought our own camping equipment otherwise. I have since found out that this trip although 'sold' to us through a backpackers travel agent, actually costs the $50 you pay on arrival. This 50 bucks we were told originally was for 'National Park fees' however when adding up the costs to stay in the dorm for one night ($15), 2 nights camping ($10 per night) and then $15 for the canoeing... that makes $50! We were ripped off. My boyfriend left his shoe in the van returning to Noosa and called up the camp to ask if he could collect it somehow and again was met with helpfulness and downright RUDENESS from the person on the phone, with comments like "Why should I do you a favour?" "What do you want me to do about it hey?" We are gutted, this was our first trip booked through a travel agent. Oh, and not forgetting the kitchen is riddled with rats, cockroaches and it is never cleaned.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amybeesting
Gagaju C, Owner at Gagaju Bush Camp, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
We expected a colorful review from this couple as they seemed unhappy from the start by stating they were not told it was camping e.t.c. With a name like Gagaju BUSH CAMP we thought this may be obvious :-) Nevertheless people are told their itinary on the initial booking, then on the confirmation phone call and again on arrival so i'm afraid i'm at a loss as to how we could have explained it any better, if this wasn't enough i do apologize.
The canoe trips are started with a briefing each morning and are one way up one way back so no need for a guide, Having a guide on this trip would also make the price go up a lot and as this couple feel they were ripped off already by paying $50 for 3 nights accommodation and 2 days canoeing i don't think this would have helped them.
When i answered the phone to a fella raving about his lost shoe like i knew what he was talking about and where it should be i was shocked at the attitude to be honest, i did tell him that if he wanted me to go and hunt for the shoe he left somewhere he needed to be a little more polite on the phone and i do apologize for this but i still feel that if you want to ask someone to go and find the things you left behind it should be done in a polite manner, I don't think this is to much to ask...
Kind regards
Matt Carnie @ Gagaju Bush Camp
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Well, first impressions is a laugh or cry situation. Luckily had been to the shop to get a box of goon. Bedrooms are sheds with bunk hammock type things. Then camping. On the plus it was $5 bucks to stay in the dorms. I wasn't up for camping in a tent..this was bad enough. To be fair after several glasses of goon and a good host that got the party started we all had a brilliant time. Canoeing was fun too. I think this was a great experience snd you just deal with it. Its fun!

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AMB8410
Also consider these accommodations in or near Noosa
Noosa Caravan Park
#136 of 140 in Noosa
Alex Beach Cabins & Tourist Park
Alex Beach Cabins & Tourist Park
#3 of 15 in Alexandra Headland

Been to Gagaju Bush Camp? Share your experiences!