“Wonderful way to spend a day and discover another amazing part of Australia”

The Discovery Group - Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$143.73*
and up
Fraser Island 4WD Tour from Noosa or Rainbow Beach
Ranked #6 of 45 Tours in Noosa
More attraction details
Owner description: The Discovery Group is a multi award winning market leader in eco-tourism, based in Noosa Heads on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland Australia.

We offer unique one and two day adventure travel to World Heritage Listed Fraser Island.

We also offer relaxed river cruises into the "Noosa Everglades" and 3 Day / 2 Night self guided Canoe Safaris into - a pristine wilderness area in the upper catchment of the Noosa River system. Experience a company without compromise.
Experience The Discovery Group.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Wonderful way to spend a day and discover another amazing part of Australia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Great value day tour, wonderful tour guide and just great fun. We took the Bar-b-canoe version of the Noosa Everglades tour and really enjoyed it. Recommend this tour to anyone, particularly to Brits who have no idea of how varied and beautiful this part of the Sunshine Coast really is

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Enjoyable experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

After we cancelled our trip to the north because of cyclone Ita we had some extra time to spent around Noosa. We booked last-minute the day-tour to Fraser Island and enjoyed the day. You notice how experienced the company are as they are very efficient. The advantage of this Noosa-based operator is that they don't take the usual trip from Hervey Bay. From Noosa there is a drive through the Great Sandy NP towards Rainbow Beach and a very short cruise to the south of the island. Via the beach there is an hour to spent at Lake McKenzie. After lunch and a short walk the bus returns via the same beach towards Rainbow Beach. The special aspect is that the return trip is via the beach road towards Noosa. Our guide was knowledgable and told all we wanted to know. The bus was moden and comfortable. We returned to Noosa around 16:00 which meant avoided having a too long day (the tour starts around 6:00).

Melbourne, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“An awesome way to spend a day.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband and I have always wanted to visit Fraser Island so jumped at the chance to join the Discovery Day trip due to a cancellation. Considering it was the Easter weekend, we were very lucky. Even though we had a very early start (5.45am due to our hotel being 35 minutes away from Noosa), the driver of our courtesy bus was on time and very cheerful. We then transferred onto a 26 seater 4WD bus. The seats were surprisingly comfortable and our driver gave us an informative commentary as we drove up to Rainbow Beach. There were a lot of people going over to Fraser but our driver was not fazed by other vehicles blocking the narrow tracks or indeed getting stuck in the sand and his humorous, informative and well observed commentary made our trip. Although time restraints meant we couldn't travel all over the island, the day trip was a good taster of what to expect if we wanted to come over for longer next time. After a morning tea stop on the beach, we were able to stop at Lake McKenzie for a swim and a very good BBQ lunch ( dietary requirements were well catered for) All snacks and lunch were included in the price and there were opportunities to purchase extra drinks and snacks at the Rainbow Beach stop. We then had a short walk through some incredible rainforest and our return drive back along 90 Mile Beach was just awesome. As was the drive from the amazing Rainbow Beach, ( where we stopped for afternoon tea), along 40 Mile Beach back to Noosa ( via the ferry) . This drive is dependent on a low tide but we were told that there are only a few days every month when the buses can't drive along that stretch of beach to or from Rainbow Beach to Noosa. We were really impressed with the tour and would recommend it as a great way to experience some of the highlights of Fraser Island.

Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Customer service not so good.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

On Monday April 14 I was set to go on the one day tour out to Fraser Island. All night rain has bucketed down and a tropical low was bringing in strong winds. This may have been a result of a TC Ita coming down the coast from North Queensland. I was concerned for my safety so made what I thought was the right decision and not to participate in the tour.
I honestly thought that Fraser Island Discovery would not be able to fulfill their promise of providing an excellent experience considering the poor conditions on the Sunshine Coast at 5:30am that morning. My decision was further influenced by the driver who picked me up from the hotel, saying that the two-day Fraser Island Tour was cancelled. It seemed obvious to me that possibly there would be some adverse weather conditions.
That afternoon I sent an email enquiry to the office explaining the situation and to see if there was any possibility of moving the booking to another date. Three days later I have not received any courtesy response via email or phone.
There is so much competition for the Tourism dollar in Queensland, and other companies run tours out to the Island. I would have thought in the best interests of providing excellent customer service that this request could have been resolved.
So I am unsure of what experience the tour gives but I am not filled with confidence as I've not heard from their office regarding my situation.
In short, I believe that the company can deliver an excellent experience but as for customer service... epic fail.

Sydney, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“A unique experience ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a but of adventure, the Everglades Bar-b-canoe trip is for you.
Firstly we enjoyed a river cruise with guided commentary before setting ashore for morning tea. Fresh laminatons and muffins with tea, coffee and biscuits were served in a picnic bush setting.
Then we grabbed our canoes and headed off down the Everglades in a self guided tour. The mirror reflective waters weren't the best on our day but we still enjoyed our journey.
We arrived at our lunch spot with the BBQ already underway. After a quick swim we enjoyed a hearty BBQ lunch with 3 salads.
We then had the choice of canoeing back or cruising back.
This is a great tour for those wanting to experience an adventure on their own or with friends. The guided parts of the tour were informative but there was plenty if time away from the group so you didn't feel like you were on a tour.