“Lion and Lamb is Rockin'!!”
Review of Lion & Lamb

Lion & Lamb
Reserve with OpenTable
Lion & Lamb is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$9 - US$39
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 May 2016

Sweet little pub near Stansted airport (Ryan Air - 7 euros from France). The usual pubby charm but food way above average. What a great Yorkshire pudding!! A tower of goodness with my "smaller appetite" prime rib. And truly homemade chips, not the frozen types you get more or less all the time now.

lindawilk, Owner at Lion & Lamb, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2016

We are glad you enjoyed your experience with us at the Lion and Lamb.
We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 12 April 2016

Having read the reviews and searched for "the best restaurants in Essex" I decided on the Lion and Lamb for a Birthday meal for the wife.
Disappointingly the service was both slow, taking approximately an hour to receive starters after ordering, and inattentive. We only saw a waitress when she eventually brought out our meals. We dined in the restaurant where there was one other party of 4 so hardly a busy night. Resorting to retrieving drinks from the bar is not my idea of good service.
The food is not exactly cheap here so we expected a lot more (not in portion size but presentation and quality). My wife ordered grilled Sardines for starter & Sirloin for her main meal. A little foolishly perhaps, we were not expecting full bodied Sardines with bones and all. We take this one on the chin and put it down to experience but this did dampen my wife's appetite somewhat. Her Sirloin was nothing of the sort, instead a flat, fat laden piece of second rate meat accompanied by a tomato, mushroom and 2 or 3 onion rings with a side plate of 'chips'. The chips were untouched and described by wife as oven style.
Our daughter opted for bread and oils followed by Lamb shank. Both, in fairness, were okay. But again the presentation of the shank was somewhat bland. A 'stew' of brown mash in a large bowl and a shank lumped on top. My daughter claimed the shank was nice to eat (she is 12).
I started with a wild mushroom and basil soup and followed with a Rack of Lamb. The soup was warm and edible but shared the consistency of a semolina pudding. Not wrong in itself but not what I imagined a mushroom soup to be. My rack of Lamb was anything but, the lamb cutlets had simply given up trying to hold and form of rack, instead lying on a bed of mash not dissimilar to the serving my daughter got.
There was a bowl of veg to accompany our meals but so disappointed were we that this was not touched.
We duly paid what we thought was a reflection of the food and service and my wife told of our disappointment to the manager who agreed with her comments and stated that we were not the first to complain in recent days.

1  Thank NathanDoney
lindawilk, Owner at Lion & Lamb, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2016

Dear Nathan,
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy our fresh food at The Lion and Lamb.
Sardines are traditionally served whole with bones and heads attatched. I am aware of some Michelin Star Restaurants that do serve them filleted and I believe in tins they remove the heads, but we serve them fresh and traditionally.
The sirloin steak may have been marbled with fat as it should be for good quality, aged beef. Yes it was served with tomatoes, mushrooms, onion rings and fresh vegetables and a side order of freshly cooked chips.
I am glad your daughter enjoyed her meal. Our shanks are a very popular choice.
It is a shame you did not enjoy our home made soup.
We cut our rack of lamb, after it has been cooked, into cutlets so it is easier for one to eat. It is dissapointing that you did not eat the vegetables as they are freshly cooked to order, as all our food is which is why it may have taken a little longer than you expected to serve you.
I think your wife may have missunderstood Matt our manager when he removed the price of the lamb and the pepper corn sauce from your bill, because he said that most people really enjoy the rack of lamb. However, we always want our customers to leave satisfied, so we did not charge for these items.

Reviewed 8 April 2016 via mobile

We have been visiting this pub a few times, Food is way much better than any average pub. Piece wise is not expensive at all. The best thing we have experienced is the service, amazing customer service!! Specially Matt and Edita, they always ensured the customer expectations are achieved!! 10 out of 10!!

Date of visit: April 2016

We are glad you enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2016

Stumbled on this little gem when we dropped my daughter off at the airport last night. What an amazing find! It was a lovely homely little pub with a very nice restaurant area at one end. Staff were lovely and friendly and the food was to die for. I don't think ive ever seen such huge portions and it was just amazing. Everyone agreed , well worth a visit even if you not going to the airport

Date of visit: March 2016

We are glad you enjoyed your evening with us at The Lion and Lamb and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2016

Went to the pub using a Groupon offer so the voucher price made it good value. The 'normal' price is too high for the quality, cooking and presentation. I would describe the food as being 'Pub food' rather than being a restaurant despite the flashy website. The portions were large with ample accompanying vegetables. We are both fish eaters and although we had different fish they both slightly overcooked, skate should be moist and succulent not crispy. Judged on a 'Pub' basis it was acceptable but the prices are creeping towards restaurant prices and so the quality of cooking could have been better.
Wine by the glass was very fairly priced and of reasonable quality but not special.
There was a good blazing fire and the pub had a very pleasant and relaxed atmosphere with plenty of car parking.
Would I use it again - maybe but would not rush back, it is up against many better pubs and restaurants in the area as regards quality and pricing.

Date of visit: March 2016
1  Thank PeterDunmow
lindawilk, Owner at Lion & Lamb, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2016

Peter I am sorry you found your fish a little over cooked and not exactly to your taste. We normally have great reviews about all of our fresh food. We are sorry you found the prices a little high, however we only use the best quality produce (sourced locally where possible). We hope to see you again.