“Excellent Toast Skagen”

Price range: US$20 - US$34
Cuisines: European, Steakhouse, Scandinavian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Piparkakkutalo, "The Gingerbread House", is a traditional, popular and cosy restaurant at the heart of Hameenlinna next to the main church and the marketplace. The restaurant offers traditional European food with specialities and seasonal local ingredients. Restaurant Piparkakkutalo is located in a historical house. The house was built in 1906-07 as a home for merchant August Skogster whose department store was located next to the house. The house is designed by one of the most famous Finnish architect of that time, Selim A. Lindqvist. The house is a Jugend style building. Restaurant Piparkakkutalo is ideal for all kinds of lunch and dinner occasions, informal or formal. There are also dining cabinets and meeting cabinets available for private occasions. There is a cosy pub, Albertin Kellari, located in the basement of the Restaurant. The pub is fully licensed with a wide selection of beers, ciders and other drinks. Also a selection of tasty bar snacks is available. There is live music every week ranging from jazz to blues, roots etc. Also quiz and theme nights are organized regularly.
Reviewed 22 February 2014

2 x 2 course meal under € 60.oo is very good value. And when the starter is as good as I would make at home (practised this since 1977) and better than I have had for at least three years, the food is excellent.
Her Fish of the Day was again perfect, my liver was not rosé as ordered and promised, but very tasty anyhow. As both me and the waitress agreed, that I did not get what I ordered I was immediately asked if I wish to get another portion. As we were somewhat in a hurry, had to refuse. But I was also offered a dessert FOC. Very generous in deed.

We both liked the way the food was prepared, balance of the tastes was just spot on. No fancy additions on the plate, old fashioned Finnish hits in stead. Good idea!

We shall return!

Cust_manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Gingerbread House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Great to hear you have enjoyed visiting our restaurant.
Toast Skagen is our own special recipe, we are glad you liked it.
Thank you and welcome again!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I happen to live in town, so I've been able to give Piparkakkutalo 3 changes now. And however much I wanted to like the place, I've been disappointed every time. Service is basically good, but then, even in a not-that-busy night the waiters forget you immediately. It takes time to get the menu.
You order your drinks, but they do not take away the extra glasses, nor the extra cutlery after knowing your order.
House bread is excellent though. So is house red wine (can't name it now, sorry). I ordered last time main course worschmak, which was too salty. But the portion was rather big and filling. So, sizewise all ok. My wife ordered fish of the day, and that was very very ordinary. You can get this at much cheaper place as well.
Some of the waiters are really nice, but in average there is too much hazzle and noise around you. Also the decoration and the interior is a disappointment if you compare the amazing, historical outfit of the building. But location, once again, is excellent.
So, the food is not quite there. It's almost good, but after eating really good food many times, you can't call it really good. That's sad, I'd love it to be the best restaurant in my hometown, but it ain't.

1  Thank Jarkko L

Thank you for your comments!
It was good you shared your comments, because it is important to us to hear customers opinions to be able to improve our service.
Interior has been renovated about 5 years ago. In the near future we will be renovating the outfit as well.
We hope to be able to improve your experience. Welcome again!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

One of the best restaurants in Hämeenlinna for a good three cource dinner. Good value for money and the quality is excellent.

Cust_manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Gingerbread House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you for your comments! It is great to hear you have enjoyed our restaurant.
Welcome again!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

It is not always true that number 1 on tripadvisor is really the best restaurant to visit. But this time it truly worked. Very nice place with excellent service and cozy atmosphere. We had late lunch as a couple. As a starter we took cream soup and Solyanka. Second one for my Russian taste was perfect, while cream soup was bit specific but still good.
Highly reconnected here lamb shank is worth trying! And ice cream and warm cheese - both was nice ending of our dinner. Our dinner was accompanied by nice Pinot Noir wine and check at the end was less that 100 euro.
We would love to visit 'Ginferbread House' again during our next visit and highly recommend it for any kind of occasion for families or couples.

Cust_manager, Guest Relations Manager at The Gingerbread House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

We are so happy to hear that you have enjoyed our food and service. Thank you for your visit and we are looking forward seeing you again!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This was our second time to this pittoresque restaurant in the heart of Hämeenlinna.
We enjoyed a great meal of Autumn salad (me) 15€, Rokkikukko (my wife) 17€ and Fish of the day (my daughter) 24€. Portions were sufficient and water and bread were complimentary.
The redbead-puree with the chicken was excellent and all the tastes were great. The salad was seasoned with croutons and fried dices of side-of-pork.
You see the central park from the windows and there is plenty of places to choose to park your car outside.
There are plenty of tables and separate room to have private banquet too for 20-30 persons.

Great to have you visiting us again! We are happy to hear that you like our restaurant. Thank you for your review!