“Perfection.”

Buttercross Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Sharon's attention to detail is out of this world. What a beautiful bed and breakfast! The rooms were fantastic, very clean and had everything you needed. The breakfast amazing. Location beautiful. Would recommend to everyone! Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Lgodsil
Sharon E, Owner at Buttercross Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Wow! Thank you so much for your review. It is very difficult to please all of the people all of the time. What suits one person is not always anothers cup of tea! However i do try and i am so glad that you loved everything about Buttercross and the beautiful village i am so lucky to live in.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stay here when up in the area on business. The reason for choosing the Buttercross is two fold: Firstly the village with it 4 pubs and indian restaurant gives me plenty of dining options and all the pubs are well supported by the locals, so where ever you end up there is always plenty going on!
The second reason is the B&B it's self, which I find to be very comfortable and always spotlessly clean. The breakfast is excellent and I have to say the cakes that Sharon makes for your arrival are a real treat and a lovely touch that you certainly would not get staying in a hotel.

If you are reading this review think of making a booking then do it as you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top level are the Bagot & Bromley (I think) and yes they do have small ensuites...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank andyrh46
Sharon E, Owner at Buttercross Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your review. The village certainly is a great place to visit. All the pubs and Indian offer great food and friendly service along with the chance to meet the locals if you should choose. The ensuite bathrooms are not large but they are as you say more than adequate with great showers, and a small bathroom is always a nice warm one!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Sharon is an absolute pleasure as a host and was extremely helpful and welcoming when I came for a one night stay. The room was beautiful, tidy and comfortable with all of the facilities you could want including a very good shower. The bed was perfect and sent me into a satisfying sleep. I think what really sets this place apart from the other B and B's that I have stayed at previously are the little touches. Home made banoffee muffins waiting for me in the breakfast room (and packed away into a carry away case for me to take on my way!), emergency toothbrush and toiletries available for the absentminded and many others. The breakfast was superb and set me up for a great days work up at the Freedom Brewery for which I can recommend as a good day out! All in all I can not recommend this perfect little place more and I just can not wait to go back soon 10 / 10 for Sharon!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank scotthpsr

Thank you for your very kind review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and that you slept well in the comfortable bed. The emergency buckets are there just in case you forget your toothbrush or other item! I hope you enjoyed your take away muffins!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I booked all three rooms at Buttercross B&B for a 3-night stay in November. I called Sharon to discuss our stay as myself and family planned to stay in the area to both celebrate my Mum’s 70th birthday and to be close to my sister who was due to give birth around the same time. As we wanted to book all three rooms we had the house to ourselves. Sharon offered us the place on a self catering basis but as we had read about her superb breakfasts we decided to stay on a bed and breakfast basis!

Staying at Buttercross B&B made a special time even better. It was like having our own place with the additional luxuries of freshly baked cakes and biscuits appearing by magic when we were out (ignore the previous comment regarding stale cakes - Sharon bakes afresh each day and it is delicious). The B&B is an old property and as Sharon makes clear on the website, the ceilings may be low in places and some stairs steep. HOWEVER, this is what gives the place such character. We stayed in the Bromley room which was well appointed, very comfortable and had plenty of room with a day bed as well. The bathroom was a little snug but the shower was excellent with plenty of hot water.

The other rooms are similarly well equipped. Mum had the Buttercross room which is on the first floor and so a little easier to access. Sharon is very flexible and came in each morning to prepare the dining area (which doubles as a sitting room at other times of the day). Breakfast was excellent and especially so as the six of us often had different breakfast options. The vegetarian choice was also very good according to my sister. The tea, coffee and toast were topped up until we couldn’t eat any more!

Abbotts Bromley is a fascinating village, especially the church complete with the antlers used in the annual dance in September. Our stay was lovely and it felt like home when Mum opened her presents on her birthday in the sitting room. To top it all, my sister gave birth to my niece Isabelle at 2.00am on Mum’s birthday and my sister brought her into Buttercross B&B on her way home from the hospital - possibly the B&B’s youngest visitor at 15-hours old?

To summarise, this is an individual BB with character and Sharon is an excellent host who does her best to accommodate all requests. We had a very comfortable and enjoyable stay and I am sure this will be our base in the future when we come up to Staffordshire to visit my sister.

Room Tip: Buttercross room is on the first floor and a little more accessible if mobility is an issue
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank EmmaDurnford

Thank you for taking the time to review Buttercross. It was a pleasure having you and your family stay. It is great when the whole place is occupied by one family or group of friends as everyone gathers in the breakfast room/lounge to enjoy tea and cakes or to celebrate with a glass of wine or just chat and watch tv. It is just so nice to see Buttercross being used in this way. I am glad you enjoyed the cakes and biscuits - I enjoy baking so it's a pleasure for me to provide them. How amazing that the first grand child was born on grandmas 70th birthday. Pretty special all round! It's just a shame I didn't get to meet my youngest visitor! Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed here Saturday 25th January 2014. Lovely lady greeted us and the room with ensuite was clean and nicely decorated. The en-suite was a little it of a squeeze, however the attention to detail on extra items in the bathroom was very much appreciated. The biscuits left in the room were a bit stale but we enjoyed the cake and selection of beverages. The breakfast was amazing and the village so beautiful. We had a lovely meal in the The Goats Head and highly recommend it. We did not sleep that well but I don't think anyone sleeps as well as they do in their own bed. Yes would stay again but please change the pictures in the Bromley room they are not in keeping with the room. Thank you for being a great host.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sharon E, Owner at Buttercross Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for your comments and it is good to see that you will still return even with the issues raised. To the points raised I would say that I am so disappointed that you mentioned that the biscuits in your room were stale because I always bake fresh cookies for my new guests. They were a new recipe of 'Soft Apricot & Almond Cookies' and they are not my favourites. I am glad you enjoyed the cake and breakfast on offer.
The two pictures in Bromley are of local scenes. One a gargoyle and one of a scene from the church gate. Maybe you found the gargoyle a bit scary?!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed for a night on the way to visit friends in January. Sharon is an excellent hostess and the accommodation joins a very positive and selective list of "places we will return to..someday when we get the time..!".
The village is a beautiful place to stroll around and we had an evening meal in a local pub....
Sharon bakes almost everyday so don't expect to lose any pounds during your stay... We were fed copious amounts of delicious lemon butterfly cakes and chocolate brownies on the house...and the full breakfast was to die for.... Would especially recommend Sharon's house special breakfast.... This is an eggs Benedict, spinach, bacon, eggy yum yum...my wife loved it.
Special mention for the "emergency bucket" in the bathroom... Such a simple idea worthy of note - you will see what it is when you get there...!!
Well done Buttercross B&B and Sharon.
Mark and Kerry xx

Room Tip: Book early...!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you Mark and Kerry for your amazing comments. I am so pleased that you enjoyed all my baking including my becoming famous breakfast special! It is a pleasure for me to provide all these goodies for my guests. The emergency bucket is a great idea which is why I continue to have it in all the rooms - only wish it had been my idea!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My son and I booked in because we were fishing on Blithfield reservoir a few miles down the road. When we booked I explained we were arriving by train and did they know a taxi company, Sharon kindly offered to meet us by car from the station. She also said they would take us to the reservoir the following day.
On arrival we were shown to two lovely rooms with compact and beautifully warm bathrooms. The bathrooms contained emergency supplies of razors, gel , toothpaste etc...all the things I forget!
The shower was luxurious and the televisions in the rooms worked instantly.
Alas I overslept but breakfast was served promptly and two boiled eggs were delicious despite my being 30 minutes late. Sharon then offered to make my son and I packed lunches at 15 minutes notice.

This was services that was above and beyond the call of duty, elegantly delivered and with a completely personal yet professional touch.

Top of my list for a revisit

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely comments. We are more than happy to pick people up from the station and drop you off at local venues. We sometimes even pick people up who cant quite make it to the end of their walk! Picnic hampers can be provided for your day out with prior arrangement. However we can always manage a small picnic at short notice if needed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbots Bromley
Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Colton House
Colton House
#1 of 9 in Rugeley

Been to Buttercross Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!