“My Happy Place”

Althoff Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Bergisch Gladbach
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I love this hotel. I love the area. I love the restaurants. I love the staff. I have stayed here 4 times now over the past 6 years, and I've never had a bad experience. Most recent stay was in November 2013. It's a really majestic hotel. The staff are outstanding. I've eaten at Vendome and at the Enoteca, and both are among the top meals I've had in Europe. The Mercedes car service to local locations is a nice touch and can be quite useful. Last stay was in a Superior Double that had a lovely view out over the courtyard and down the hill to the Cathedral in Cologne. I genuinely can't wait to get back again.

Room Tip: Superior double with a courtyard view was really nice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ofarreb
Florian S, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Althoff Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your positive impressions with us. We will forward your motivating feedback to our staff members and look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

With kindest regards,

Florian Schadhauser - Rooms Division Manager

There are newer reviews for Althoff Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I went here with my boyfriend over the Christmas holidays (present from his parents for our graduation) and it was a lovely late morning/early afternoon. The food was delicious, the oysters were fresh, the room we sat in was elegant, the waiters as polite and graceful as fit for a place like this schloss. I would definitely recommend it.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Luisa R
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed in a suite in the Althoff Grandhotel Bensberg during the weekend.
This is old school grandeur. When you arrive there is valet parking and they will unload your car.
This is typical for the rest to come.
Once the checked-in administration is done they take you personally to your room. Everything is checked and explained. (They noticed that I'm a rather tall guy, so, without asking, they brought a bigger size bathrobe.)
The restaurant was fully booked so we did not have dinner there, but I was told it is a very good. (2 Michellin stars).
Breakfast was super. Everything you might want will be available.
One downside. I paid 22€ for less then 24 hours parking. That seems a bit excessive.
But, all in all one of the best hotels I have been.

Room Tip: Room 114 is very quiet, with very nice views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We went to stay at the Schloss Bensberg for 2 reasons...to stay outside the city in a palace hotel and to try the restaurant vendome - neither disappointed us. The hotel is great...it's huge but surprisingly well heated given its size I must say. The staff are warm and efficient. The bars inside the hotel were memorable. Restaurant Vendome is an experience of a lifetime (only you have to reserve weeks in advance even to get a table for lunch). The rooms were very nice and you get a choice of different pillows if you have neck problems like I do. Breakfast was good but nothing exemplary compared to the standard set by the bars and the restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bidishac_13
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The village surrounding this historic building (est. 1711), is wonderful. the Greek pub and food stand located just down the hill from the main gates provides great food, ambience and drinks. The castle itself is amazing, it was the ultimate building when it was built and its grandeur endures to this day. Wonderful setting for an indoor pool, sauna and whirlpool especially in the winter. The turn down service is a nice touch. about 5 to 7 English channels on TV.. The Staff speaks English.. Expedia plus members get free internet. Free shuttle service to local areas such as a skating rink and sauna complex. Obama had a fundraising dinner here in 2008 as the Michelin 3 star chef is kind of a big deal...cocktail hour in the cigar room, cake and coffee in the lobby bar, library is worth a peek and so is the well (covered with glass) from the early 18th century.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2013

A big disclaimer is that this review should be read comparing it to other 5 star hotels. So i may sound picky, but it is what you may expect in 5 star hotels which pride themselves to be 'Leading hotel'.

The hotel is wonderful to look at: a big palace with large corridors. Our room was very large, and for the size sparsely furnished. Only one couch, which was placed in such a way you are not able to watch the television. The bathroom was too big to properly heat up, which makes it a challenge for you to get out of the bed and go the the bathroom. If you are looking for a more romantic stay, probably you would want to stay at another hotel

We had prebooked champagne and birthday cake, but that has never arrived.

Strangely enough we were not able to book the Spa on the day, as it was fully booked by outside guests. I can imagine they cant keep staff just on standby, but as a Leading Hotel I would have expected a bit better service.

The restaurant (Vendome) was excellent. Well balanced food, great wines, and overall a good atmosphere. 10th best in the world? I do not know, as it also largely depends on your taste.

Breakfast was relatively small, with a buiffet serving most things. You can ask for eggs, which are not cooked very well.

We also went to their 'sister' castle, Lerbach. That seems to be more personal and warm. The restaurant there also is excellent, although not so refined as Vendome.

In conclusion: if you are looking for a culinary experience, I would definitely go again. However I would book Lerback instead.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank worldtravellerTom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I staid here for two nights in November 2013. The hotel is a grand old castle in an excellent location, and everything that has been said here is true.

However, there are a few things that make me doubt whether this place really fits in with the Leading Hotels of the World group.

I had initially booked for two nights, had later extended my reservation from two to four nights, and then, around 9:00 after my second night, my plans had changed and I informed the hotel I would be leaving earlier than planned. (i.e. after two nights, not after four)

I have cut short or extended my stays by several days in many good hotels around the world, many times, and never experienced a single problem with it as long as I had observed check-out deadlines and not booked pre-paid packages. In fact I have come to expect a reasonable amount of flexibility from any decent business hotel.

The front desk informed me that my changing my stay was, in fact, a breach of contract, and all they could do was to charge me only for one extra night, not for the four total. Still, it's a cool 200 Euros at the going rate, that I paid for absolutely nothing.

I am sure that there is some fine print somewhere to corroborate this, but keep in mind that I did show up for the reservation, stayed there for two nights, and all I did was try to check out earlier. I had an individual reservation for which I had shown up and I had certainly not booked any kind of package deal at all. So I was incredulous. The front office manager, who I asked to speak with, confirmed that that was, in fact, their policy, and I could be happy that they did not charge me several nights more.

I have to note that I am not normally a stickler for rules and did not read the fine print. But while we are talking about contract terms: The hotel did NOT stick up to their end of the bargain:
- the "free Internet" was really a hit-or-miss affair,
- my room had very thin walls and was very LOUD: I could hear conversations through the bathroom wall as well as music from the meeting room downstairs.
- Fixtures in the room were clean but generally dated (10+ years).
- The bed was not comfortable - a FAR cry from the Sofitels, Sheratons or Marriotts of this world. This one is a common problem among non-chain hotels around here apparently.

These things are not something that would normally send me complaining - in the end they are part of the deal of being an individual luxury property, and warm and friendly service could more than compensate for such shortcomings.

The problem comes in when the physical product starts lacking; AND the service is cold and formal. That was, sadly, my experience. I will know better than booking here again and expecting any amount of flexibility.

(note: I refer to the desk staff sticking to the POLICY to the letter as "cold and formal". Individual employees were highly professional and courteous. However I walked away with an icy feeling of not being welcome; and since I had spoken to the front office manager with no avail, I see no recourse other than making my experience public).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Hyatt Regency Dusseldorf
#4 of 239 in Dusseldorf
Savoy Hotel
#18 of 261 in Cologne

Been to Althoff Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg? Share your experiences!