This is a little gem situated on the side of the mountain with great views across the valley where it is easy to see Assisi, Mt Subasio, Foligno..... It is conveniently situated so as to make day trips to Florence, Rome and Pisa possible.
Even before we arrived the warmth of the place could be felt by the easy (and effective) help we received by telephone in our effort to find the place.
Our accommodation consisted of two good size bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen (complete with everything) and an enormous tiled outside area that overlooked one of the two swimming pools. The beds were extremely comfortable and there was enough furniture to store all of our clothes. The accommodation was cleaned every day (including weekends) and all of the used towels were replaced daily.
Each evening we ate in the restaurant. The menu is changed daily and consists of the typical Italian 'antipasto' (each time there was a minimum of five different antipasti on the plate), a choice of two plates of pasta, a choice of two meat dishes, a choice of three or four salads followed by desert. Three times per week pizza is also on the menu. The food can only be described as exquisite. This is good, honest Italian home cooking prepared in the time honoured fashion. Forget your gourmet weekends at chic hotels; it will never be as good as this. We stayed two weeks and in that time never saw the same dish twice on the menu! The wine that is offered is from the vineyards of the agriturismo itself and is thoroughly recommended. At a price of 4 Euros per half litre it is extremely good value for money and is very easy on the palate. The restaurant staff are very friendly and helpful.
This was such a relaxing holiday for us that towards the end of it we were seriously considering extending our stay by a few more days. Unfortunately for us it was not possible due to the agriturismo being fully booked for the 'ferragosto' celebrations!
This is a family run agriturismo and this shows in their attention to detail and their willingness to do whatever is necessary to ensure that your stay meets your expectations.
Clearly we enjoyed our stay enormously but there are three things that we would ask them to consider addressing;
1) Effective sign-posting to the agriturismo as from the town of Bevagna. On the route from Bevagna to Poggio there are signs for a number of other agriturismo's and hotels in the area, but none for Poggio. Yes, it is true that you can follow the signs for the Santuario 'Madonna della Valle' but after 1,400km of driving this is a small detail that just confuses;
2) It would be nice to have a wireless high speed access to the internet - if only in the communal areas. I needed the internet and was kindly offered the use of their dial up connection but, unfortunately, this did not work for me;
3) A poolside bar offering refreshments and light snacks would be a useful addition.
Despite these three small comments they would not prevent us from returning to this idyllic agriturismo.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK) and Booking.com so you can book your Poggio delle Civitelle Agriturismo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Poggio Delle Civitelle Agriturismo Bevagna