“Choose another accomodation for Northcape”

Scandic Honningsvag
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Honningsvag
Walt Disney World, Florida
“Choose another accomodation for Northcape”
Reviewed 1 June 2009

This hotel is old and its quality is very low.
I loved just the view over the harbour from my window.
Staff was lazy and not helpfull.
Breakfast was quite good but too many tourists were around .

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank norvegiasara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Palma
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Very poor vaule for the money we payed. Room very little, bathroom not in good conditions. I don't recomend this hotel. You can try other accomodation if you are looking for a good service.

• Liked — Place, staff
  • Disliked — All
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 June 2006

I stayed one night in Honningsvag, Norway to visit Nordkapp. I arrived via the Hurtigruten Coastal ferry and also toured Nordkapp (the North Cape) arranged through Hurtigruten. I chose this hotel because it is one of the largest in Honningsvag. Upon check in, two women were working the front desk. The older one was not very accommodating but I think her shift was ending. The younger one worked into the evening.

I requested and was given a non-smoking room on the 3rd floor with a harbor view. However, smoking was apparently allowed on the adjacent wing, where a tour group was staying, and it drifted into my room. The elevator and stairway areas also became smokey. As the evening progressed, I decided I could not stay in that room. The younger woman, who was the only one at the desk, was able to offer me a "true" non-smoking room, but it was on the first floor, which meant I no longer had a view. That was an OK trade. The room I was moved to also had a bigger bathroom.

The rooms were adequate, but nothing to get excited about. I'm not sure how recently they were renovated, but they could probably use it again. They seemed to be a bit well worn. Most rooms have a shower only, but did have heated floors in the bathroom. The size of the rooms were average.

I had an early morning flight and the breakfast buffet was not open. However, they offered to pack a breakfast for me, which ended up consisting mostly of bread and lunchmeat (sandwiches are popular breakfast food in Scandinavia). My flight was at 6:45 AM and I was advised to get to the airport one hour before the flight. I arrived at 5:45 and found that the airport did not open until 6 AM! However, someone was there before 6 AM to open it up (and I think was a bit surprised to see someone there waiting already!).

I ate dinner in the hotel restaurant. I arrived before opening time, but they went ahead and seated me. I was the only one in the restaurant. The salmon was quite good.

The hotel offers free internet access in the lobby and sells artwork and books by a local artist/writer. I don't recall there being a sauna, jacuzzi, or fitness room.

The hotel is located on one end of Honningsvag and it is easy to walk around the town--it is not very big. There also is not much to do. There is an "ice bar"--a much smaller version of the one in Sweden, but if you are not going to get to the one in Sweden, it's an OK substitute. Of historical note is the church--it is the only structure in Honningsvag that pre-dates WWII. During the German occupation of Norway, the church was used for one of their headquarters. That may be why it was spared when the Germans left Norway and burned everything in the north so the allies would not find anything of value that they could use.

The main attraction in this part of Norway is Nordkapp--the North Cape. Honningsvag is the closest town to Nordkapp. You will need transportation to get to Nordkapp. The public buses were not running yet when I was there and the only organized tour I was aware of was through Hurtigruten. Hurtigruten's tour was in the afternoon, which meant I did not get to see the midnight sun at Nordkapp. However, I did see it in Honningsvag. Nordkapp is a year-round destination: in the winter, people go there to see the Northern Lights.

There are not a lot of accommodation choices in Honningsvag. Out of the ones available, judging from the others I walked by, I would say the Rica Hotel is the best.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honningsvag
Scandic Bryggen
Nordkapp Camping
Nordkapp Camping
#1 of 2 in Honningsvag
Nordkapp Caravan Og Camping

Been to Scandic Honningsvag? Share your experiences!