“Relaxing stay, great staff”

Chicama Surf Hotel & Spa
Loa Gatos, CA
“Relaxing stay, great staff”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here for 5 days in July, primarily for my kids to surf...and to wind down from previous 1-2 weeks in Peru. We ended up renting a car in Trujillo (not an easy task to find) and drove there. It is about 1 hour from the airport. A word of caution... when we left we left at 5:30am to get a flight out of Trujillo at 8am thinking we had plenty of time. However, with all the slow trucks on the road, the trip back was more than 1.5 hours.

The hotel is not easy to find, and I am not sure I can even describe how to get there. if driving, probably best to ask locals once you get there. The entry is behind the hotel on a couple of dirt roads that we missed the first time.

The hotel staff is very friendly and we able to address most guests by name as we wondered around. The rooms were spacious. you definitely want a 2nd floor room to get the view of the ocean. There are no TVs or phones in the rooms, but that was a pleasant change for us....got lots of reading in.

This is really a surf resort and they seemed to have all the amenities for surfers (boat service, rental, etc). For those not surfing, there isn't a lot to do. We did get into the town a bit, walked along the beach and utilized the massage center, spa, hot tub, etc. there is a game room and a couple of TVs. But it was very relaxing and enjoyable. I believe they do arrange tours to nearby architectural ruins.

Most days we walked into town for our meals. It was much cheaper, but it was primarily fish and some beef entrees at the restaurants. We had a hit and miss experience with the restaurant at the hotel. The first time we tried it, the meals were OK, but nothing special. I was a bit disappointed. However, we were to late to go into town the last night and tried it again and had a great meal. the Stroganoff was delicious. The included breakfast was OK. However, a few times they did run out of items and they were replaced. But it was a breakfast good enough to get things started in the morning.

The restaurant/bar is sort of a gathering point and we spent time there watching World Cup games.

As mentioned, the managers were very nice and helpful. They wandered around chatting with the guests and ensured everyone was happy. The hotel seemed safe, and as mentioned in other reviews, we often did not bother locking our room and did not feel concerned at all.

Room Tip: Get second floor rooms to ensure a nice view of the ocean, sunset, etc.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kevin M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My experience was really cool. First of all, I went by myself and didn't know what I expected. The staff crew was very friendly and nice, making me feel like home (especially Pedro, Junior, Carlos and other that I forgot the names). All the infrastructure, like rooms, dining room, pools, game center, massage center, saunas, jacuzzi, etc are pretty good. Chicama Resort is in front of one of the longest left wave in the world. The wave is so mellow, good and fun, but need a good swell to break. Definelly this place is magic, so good taste (decoration, music...) all people whom I met (since staff from guests), make my trip unique. I stayed just 4 days and make it memorable! I'll come back as soon as I can. Thanks for the good vibes Chicama Resort.

Room Tip: The best rooms have views for the ocean. Pay a little more and will worth it!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ricardo H
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I wish I was an English major or journalist so I could better encapsulate my thoughts on Chicama Surf Resort and their wonderful staff. In short, the resort and entire staff are nothing short of amazing.

I had the great pleasure of spending eight days at the hotel and truly felt like family from the very beginning. For example, there was more than one occasion when a staff member would walk around with an iPhone, looking for the phone's owner. Perhaps this stood out a little more to me because it was a stark contrast to a trip I went on with my wife last year, where her phone was stolen from our locked hotel room in Nicaragua. Speaking of locks, I never even locked my room door in my week of Chicama. It's that family feeling. Miguel and his staff are all the friendliest and most helpful bunch imaginable.

All of the details have been carefully considered and implemented. From the airport pickups, Zodiac boat service (thanks Junior!), wide-variety of delicious foods at the hotel restaurant, attentive bar staff, and awesome setting, everything was just perfect.

Last thing - regarding the surfing: it's awesome. If you're reading this you're presumably thinking of heading to Chicama to surf the world's longest wave. What are you waiting for? This was on my list for a few years and it exceeded my expectations. I'm definitely going back, no doubt whatsoever.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank vudores
Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Chicama Surf Hotel and Spa is the premier place to stay when visiting Chicama. Fronting the world's longest left wave, the hotel boasts modern facilities with comfortable villas - nab the upstairs rooms where you can literally watch over the Chicama break from your bed.

The restaurant is the communal zone for between surf and nighttime chilling, it's a great place to meet fellow travelling surfers and the staff are super friendly, the food similarly worthy of a double thumb's up.

After surfing, jump into the warm jaccuzi and order a beer, or on a toasty day enjoy the view from the infinity pool or simply kick back between surfs on the outdoor patio area.

Downstairs, the hotel has a decent-sized gym area with equipment and boxing bags, yoga mats and a massage centre.

The hotel also offers guests to book the surf-boat service, meaning your arms won't tire paddling...simply wait in the water after each wave for the boat to come and pick you up and caddy you straight back out to the peak.

If you do plan to visit, take over a few spare surf magazines from your home country to donate to the hotel, or even a couple of surf movies, and enjoy getting to know the local staff over a few cold Pilsen Lagers at night and warm, salted corn.

Five stars, can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: Upstairs - views over the surf break.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Angie T
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Almost paradise for surfers in Peru! A little difficult to find, you will be the more surprised once you get there! Contemporary, even stylish, this hotel is fantastically equipped, particularly for surfers. It counts with a decent gym, sauna, hamam, indoor and outdoor Jacuzzi and swimming pool. A nice and ample dining room, with a bar and fireplace and tasty local décor.

It is located on the beach just across one of the longest waves in the world (make sure you know the right seasons or swells, otherwise, the ride may be as short as anywhere else). Surfers can walk down to the beach from the hotel and dingys will carry them back to the starting point after each ride. The water is freezing cold (about 17c) and the wind is merciless, so it is nice to get back to the hotel and be able to take the wetsuit off right in the warm Jacuzzi and get a nice relaxing massage!

The rooms are nice, all enjoy a view onto the ocean and are well equipped, also with comfortable beds and pillows for a great rest after an exhausting surf day. The service is very professional and friendly and the food will also not disappoint.

While this hotel really is a surfers paradise, if you’re not a surfer, you better be prepared to stay indoors as neither the weather nor the surroundings invite for a walk. However, if you have the time I suggest you visit the archeological sites of El Brujo (closest and very interesting), Chan Chan (also close but less interesting) and La Luna (furthest, yet best!).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Zoltan L
Carpinteria, Califorina
Reviewed 11 May 2014

A group of 7 friends and I stayed here in late April. The waves were fantastic with a solid swell and Chicama lived up to it's surf spot reputation. The hotel is wonderful with extremely attentive and friendly staff, great rooms, delicious meals and an excellent facility and process for storing boards and wetsuits. I would highly reccommend it. Staff members that really stand out include Raphaell, Favio, Pedro, Santos, Percy and all the restaurant staff. This hotel makes an effort to give back to the local community which is reflected in the staff, you feel like familiy. Some friendly suggestions for the hotel: use a central water treatment facility and reusable containers for drinking water to eliminate plastic bottle pollution and upgrade the Internet connection. When the hotel gets full the system gets overloaded with logins and a connection is impossible.

Room Tip: Any of the upstairs rooms are best as they have a view of the beach and surf. Downstairs rooms open...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
South Daytona, Florida
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The management, staff, service, amenities, food and overall cleanliness and beauty of this resort will bring us back and allow us to recommend it to anyone, young or old, surfer or not. This was hands down the best surf trip, not just for the waves, but for the ease of managing our gear, wetsuits, and arranging great day trips. Surfboards, board bags, leashes and wetsuits could all be neatly and safely valet stored in the well ventilated, organized board locker room with 24 hour on site security. I loved the fact that I could take a hot shower seconds after entering the resort after a surf and wash my self and wetsuit in a spacious locker room then take my wetsuit next door to hang it up in the open air wetsuit hangers labelled with each guest's room number. The place caters to surfers every need. The zodiac boat service team was spot on, never missing a surfer as we rode waves for hundreds of yards distant to our takeoff spots. The boat drivers were very safety oriented, super stoked for us and equipped with Go Pro cameras to document those legendary minute plus long lefts that we rode. Not once did they complain about hauling our weary bodies into the boat with longboards and short boards. No matter how many waves we surfed.
The manager Miguel Vegas Van Ordt is legendary and runs the place with tremendous team spirit. He planned some fun day trips for our group and even accompanied us one day keeping everyone laughing, eating safely, and hitting the surf on the best tides, while sharing his vast knowledge of the history and culture of Peru. His van driver Jorge is outstanding!
The resort rooms and common areas, and grounds, were clean and beautiful. The dining area was always stocked with coffee, tea, cocoa and cookies and the service and main meals were outstanding. The large fireplace added cozy ambience and the views of that gorgeous coastline and point break are breathtaking. Great beach for hiking as well. Go there!

• Stayed April 2014
#1 of 3 in Puerto Malabrigo
Los Burritos Hostal
Los Burritos Hostal
#2 of 4 in Puerto Malabrigo

Been to Chicama Surf Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!