Just back from 2nd time visit with young family (all three under 10).
Have also done Pine Cliffs, Martinal and Blue & Green Villamoura over the last few years.
I liked them all but I think Dunas Doradas is the best of them - very high standard of accommodation (best I have seen - very cleverly designed apartments with large balconies and roof-top terraces / bar-b-que) and all in a compact well laid out resort.
You get 4 pools (deep, shallow, indoor, plus indoor and outdoor Jacuzzi pools), very close access to beach plus pretty reasonable on site restaurant (plus very popular nearby Marias).
Dunas Doradas and the others I have mentioned all have the same generic drawbacks:
1. they are for young families (pool will be full of arm bands etc.) - really not for couples etc.
2. the dining and on-site supermarkets are expensive (2-3x local) - get a car (especially for here)
3. they can feel a bit 'sterile' - in fairness, the Algarve is not really strong on historic/culture
However, if you like the formula of an upmarket family pool / beach holiday in the sun this is one of the best I have found so far in the Algarve.
I would re-iterate my past post on Dunas, that of them all, a car is really really recommended here. The apartments are really well kitted out and with great bar-b-que's, fridges, freezers and microwaves etc. The nearest supermarket however is too far to walk (Almancil or Quinta). Unlike the other places I have mentioned above, there is no village or even commercial area etc. in walking distance to Dunas Doradas Beach Club (you are +45mins walk from anything).
In fairness, Dunas does run a shuttle service to Almancil to address this, however I think it is much better to have a car and keep loading up as your needs change. There are also a lot of great restaurants of all types within 20min drive of Dunas (Quinta, Vale etc.) that you can access more easily with a car. If you have a young family, you are also likely to consider a day trip to Zoomarine (really well worth it) and Aquashow (weaker than Zoomarine, but decent), which are within 30 mins drive (again, having your own car will save a lot on taxi fares etc.).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautifully located on the Golden Algarve Coastline between the luxurious resorts of Quinta do Lago and Vale do Lobo, Dunas Douradas enjoys an enviable position in every sense. Imagine the smell of the ocean and the sound of the waves breaking on the shoreline as you wake from a relaxing sleep. Dunas Douradas Beach Club offers 132 quality apartments and 8 villas situated in a prestigious beach front location within Algarve's Golden Triangle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Dunas Douradas Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dunas Douradas Beach Club Hotel Almancil
- Dunas Douradas Beach Club Portugal/Algarve - Almancil