“Consistently good - inside or out”

Restaurant Mr. Freddie's
Ranked #15 of 156 Restaurants in Almancil
Price range: US$24 - US$41
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have been an admirer of Mr Freddie's for a few years now and one thing that stands out among many plusses is the consistency of the cooking and the service.
A few weeks ago my family ate in the courtyard for the first time having previously visited either before or after Nuno, the proprietor, moves his operation outside to take advantage of the weather.
As expected, nothing changed so far as the food and service were concerned, but the al fresco element enhanced the dining experience and helped to produce another excellent meal.
Previously I have enjoyed the pepper steak, while the lamb is as good as it gets, but a switch to sea bass on this visit confirmed that the high standards are maintained across the board.
There's no wonder that the establishment constantly hovers around the top end of the high-quality Almancil pecking order.

1  Thank CarefulYorkshireman

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Having always driven past Mr Freddie's for the past 20 years, this evening we had an exceptional meal here. Service and food were some of the best we've experienced in the area, and it certainly won't be long before we return. Prices we're very fair, given the quality. Superb surroundings, belying it's location by the side of a relatively busy road.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have been coming to this area of Portugal for over 20 years, but never visited this restaurant. It was recommended to us before, but because of the exterior, we always passed it by. I am so sorry we missed out on this restaurant for such a long time!
The courtyard is lovely, great atmosphere, great attentive service. Nuno, the owner is a talented sommelier , and runs the restaurant discreetly, like clockwork.
Complimentary starters are lovely, with a basket of "surprises" to finish the meal. The fillet steaks were the best we've had, with a fabulous pepper sauce. And to finish, Nuno leaves a complimentary bottle of port on every table.
I would highly recommend this restaurant. We visited it twice this week, and will most definitely return.

2  Thank Alisrico1
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Definitely one of the better restaurants my family and I visited during our second stay in the Algarve! The restaurant, as mentioned in other reviews, seems a bit lost in time and doesn't know whether it wants to be fine dining or slightly more casual. The background music is typically hits from the 70s till the 90s and doesn't, at least in my opinion, contribute much to the atmosphere of this little restaurant. Restaurant Mr. Freddie's is also extremely easy to miss as it has a very humble exterior. The food, however, is simply phenomenal. I had the asparagus with mozzarella as a starter and the pepper steak as a main course. It was easily the best pepper sauce I have had with steak. The mix of champagne and brandy make the sauce unique and just exquisite on a beautifully cooked piece of fillet. Other members of my family also had the pepper steak and they all said the exact same. If you manage to sit outside on the vine-roofed terrace you will be able to see the chef cook your steak on the grill.. an added bonus when you see how clean and professionally it is done.

When you arrive you are greeted by very friendly and professional staff. They bring couverts to your table, with a nice selection of breads. Their menu is limited in size but diverse with a range of fish and meats and both hot and cold starters. For vegetarians, there is a very small selection of meals that might suit you, but the owner (and chef) will do their best for you! The wine selection is small but also diverse. Our first choice of wine was sadly out of stock, but we were offered a personal recommendation of a similar wine. Our waiter told us that if we did not enjoy the wine that he would remove it from our bill. The desserts were all fantastic, with choices for both adults and children. After we finished the desserts, the owner came and offered us all some porto, which was very much welcome and thoroughly enjoyed. All in all, a very good little restaurant which deserves a visit!

3  Thank Joachim M
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This restaurant is likely to please some and not others, you either really like this type of place or you do not. I can imagine a serious foodie being pretty irritated with a menu that looks as if it was conceived in the early eighties and has remained unaltered ever since. The best dish we had was the clams, which were simply cooked and reminded us of the tastes in one of our favorite restaurants in Macau. The staff were attentive and friendly and the environment was pleasant and relaxing. Would we come here again? Possibly, but I would prefer something more interesting.

3  Thank Hardtopleaseofhk