“Top score for VFM”

Formosa Park Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Almancil
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is possibly my tenth visit to the Algarve and being up front, I'm a golfer! Sitting on hot steamy beaches in July or August with thousands of beery holiday makers has zero appeal. I'm also getting old so quality and value for money are more important than the number of clubs or bars nearby. Sermon over, just setting expectations as everyone is different and if my likes don't float your boat then this review probably isn't much use to you.

The simple fact me and my chums keep going back to the Algarve and more specifically Vilamoura is testament to what it has to offer the fun loving but discerning golfer. In truth it has more than most golfers see. Miles of fabulous beaches which in spring and autumn are usually empty. Great and I mean really great golf courses! Hotels which at this time of year are only 10-20% occupied so offer great deals and value. Plus more choice in cafés and restaurants than I've been able to fully sample in ten years. Local food is of high quality and a friendly welcome awaits all who engage with the locals.

This trip was a cheapy, using up loyalty 'freebies' and returning to one favourite haunt. So in one week I stayed in three hotels and I will post reviews of all of them as the comparison may help others choose where to stay.

The Other hotels were all five star so the Formosa Park was always going to be at a disadvantage by comparison. Nevertheless I keep coming back to the Formosa and will continue doing as it really is the best value golfing package available in the area. Look up the Birdie package and add up what it would cost you to source these elements separately. Three nights bed and breakfast, two dinners and two rounds of golf for how much? Plus an apartment with lots of room and lovely outlook over the pool! Not to be sniffed at. Not immediately obvious is the fact you can also add a round at half price on the fantastic San Lorenzo course which is by far my favourite course in this area - stunning doesn't do it justice!

I like the setting of the Formosa. It is out of the way and has a lovely stretch of ultra quiet and private beach only ten minutes walk away (2 minutes by car). It's close to several golf courses and the Formosa Natural Park which is itself a great day out (take the ferry from Faro to Isla Deserta for an amazing experience and eat in the fantastic sea food restaurant).

The hotel is basic but very clean and well kept. The staff are really attentive and friendly and the bar manager has been there forever so good to see him and to be recognised as a regular. The bar food is really good and prices are much better than in nearby Vale do Lobo or Quinta.

It is some way (20 minutes by car) to the Vilamoura nightlife and attractions but golfers can share a taxi very economically. Not an issue for me but some of my golfing buddies do prefer to be somewhere livelier. The only thing I would do if I was the management of the hotel is to upgrade the beds! Something more comfy would be welcome and preferably the option of a double rather than two singles pushed together.

But if you're planning a golfing trip and want somewhere that offers amazing value for money, decent quality and a warm welcome then this is my all time favourite and I can promise I will be back again and again. Oh I forgot, I am booked to go again with my golfing buddies in October!

Highly recommended and wins the best value for money award outright!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tony B
There are newer reviews for Formosa Park Hotel & Apartments

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here before always good this time with family and friends the staff and Hotel are always excellent the only two points I can mark the Hotel down for are -1- the mattresses are hard and the rubber sheet on top is not too great. The location is ok but a little far from everywhere ok if you are fit to walk but not so good for the less fit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at Formosa Park Hotel & Apartments for 7 nights, had a ground floor pool view apartment which was large and well equipped and very clean. No oven in kitchen but had electric hob plates & microwave. Plenty of drawer & cupboard space.Only complaint, twin beds were hard and waterproof sheet under sheet made you feel very hot and uncomfortable, however bed linen was first class and changed often.
Location of hotel was a bit remote but quiet & relaxing, no supermarkets close by so a car neccessary.
Staff were all so very helpful and friendly.
Breakfast was included, good selection of hot & cold food.
Take mosquito spray & burners for bedrooms, a travel kettle would be handy also as kettle supplied takes ages to heat. A tea towel would be useful for drying cups etc.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are good
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jennifer F
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We had an excellent time at the Formosa park hotel, the weather was fab and the food was very good. Enjoyed playing golf at the Pinheiros Altos Golf Resort and San Lorenzo on our 4 day break.

The mosquitoes were very lively on the golf courses and in the evenings at most places we visited. Take plenty of jungle juice!!!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank shields112
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This was our first trip to Portugal and it didn't disappoint. Lovely hotel, very well presented, very clean and tidy. Our 2 bedroom apartment was HUGE! Very large living area with plenty of furniture, all in excellent condition. Good fitted kitchen with all mod cons, 2 nice large bathrooms which were very clean and a Lovely large balcony and good large bedrooms, plenty of room for our family of 4. Beds were abit hard, but we soon got used to them.
The pool area was well kept and very clean with plenty of sun beds. The restaurant was nice with a good selection of food for the included breakfast - Hot chocolate was a hit with our kids.
There are no kids clubs, but that was fine for ours as they prefer to entertain themselves in the pool anyway, but there is a kids play area for smaller children.
The evening meal menu wasn't vast, but what they did do, they did very well. The food was lovely and plenty of attention to detail, prices weren't too bad either. Swordfish steak with potatoes and veg was 16 Euros.
Only up/down side to the hotel was it's location - it was quite isolated, with no shops or anything within walking distance, but we hired a car which was ideal (cheaper rates if you book through the hotel). It made it a very nice, quiet, relaxing holiday, but we could travel to the hectic bits if we wanted to.
The beach is a short walk away and that's amazing - miles long and no-one on it !!
We would all recommend this hotel to anyone, it was a beautiful place and well worth every penny we spent.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Liz S
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We booked this hotel to be close to Faro airport prior to our flight the next morning. We got a good deal and were amazed when we opened the door to find a whole 2 bedroom suite rather than just a room. In many ways, it was an excellent find.

It was let down by its narrow, hard single beds ( we were aware we were getting a twin bed room, but not with such narrow beds.)

The hotel was strict about the time it served meals, which I suppose is understandable at low season.

The evening meal was decidedly average, but the buffet breakfast was very comprehensive and good quality.

I was not happy that wifi was offered at €9/24hrs. Come on, those days have gone. Wifi should be ubiquitous, fast and free in hotels now.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob L
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a few days spent here golfing with friends - apartment was clean had all the necessary items in the kitchen. Balcony furniture good too relaxed for a while in comfort. Hotel doesn't have wifi which is a shame would have been perfect if it did. Nice pool and bar/restaurant. Had breakfast and dinner one night here, menu is fairly plain but food was ok. Relaxed atmosphere about the place just what we needed, would stay here again but hope wifi installed in future. You're a little out if the way here for entertainment but the golf courses on your doorstep are numerous. Ate at Monty's bar and Casadospinheiros other nights both recommended.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ruth S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Almancil
Quinta Do Lago Hotel
#9 of 14 in Almancil
Ria Park Hotel&Spa
Ria Park Hotel&Spa
#5 of 14 in Almancil

Been to Formosa Park Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!