“Bit disappointed”

Formosa Park Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Almancil
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have used Formosa Park many times and have always loved our stays there, however this time we were a bit disappointed. The hotel is looking really tired and needs a refurb, can't believe they still have big old fashioned tv's and the number of English channels has reduced. The pool area was not as clean as it was on our last visit, someone's dropped ice cream still there after 3 days etc. Breakfast was not brilliant, mainly due to staff not topping up stuff, no saucers, butter, bread....plus the hot choices were pretty unappetising. The chairs in the outdoor dining area are so tatty and not too clean either. Please Formosa, get your standards back to how they were and undertake a refurbishment programme! On the plus side, this is still a unique hotel, the rooms are massive, pool area is attractive and it's size makes it friendly. The beach is an easy walk away and is stunning. A car is a must, it would be lovely if the hotel had a mini shop just for the basics but instead you have to drive to Quinta for the papers and water etc.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sybil and Basil C

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have reviewed this place before, but after another lovely stay I thought they deserved another positive write up. It was our second stay here, with our two eight year olds, and we love it here, perfect complete chill out break-just a quiet pool, huge beautiful beach, and really lovely apartments-so clean everywhere, even the food has improved, which was my only real negative from my previous stay. To be picky the pool is cold so best entered when it's really hot! And the beds are quite firm, but nobody struggled to sleep. I took a travel kettle as the otherwise very well equipped kitchen lacks one, but I am a bit of a tea addict! Our (huge) balcony this time overlooked the small playground(saw a couple of quiet toddlers in there the whole time we were there), for me , this was unfortunate as it was in the shade, just about the whole time, and I love the sun, but for someone wanting a bit of respite from the heat it's the place to request. If your children are happy with a pool(there is a shallow toddler one too), and collecting shells and playing on sand, then this place is great, but otherwise you will need to travel/stay in nearby Vilamoura for more going on. For walkers there are some lovely strolls through the nature reserve behind the beach. I think, certainly in spring it would make a great couples place to stay, if you like peace, and walks,there is also a very tempting looking beauticians but sadly I didn't get to try any treatments, maybe next time. Next year we will change from our usual Canary island stay and this will be our main holiday not a short break-love it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fred577
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed at Formosa Park for 3 nights in May and found it exceeded my expectations in many respects. My one bedroom pool view apartment was excellent, well equipped and spotlessly clean. Patio doors from the bedroom and lounge led out onto the terrace where there was a large table and four chairs. Some may say that the furnishings are a bit dated but it was all in good repair. All the staff I met were very helpful, efficient and friendly and the hotel is the perfect size to provide personalised service. Breakfast was adequate with the usual buffet selection. The gardens are well tended and the swimming pool large, deep and great for lap swimming, shame it was too cold to spend any time in but great to cool off.
I was using the hotel as a base but spending most of my time out with my friends who have an apartment nearby. A car is recommended to explore the local area which is all very upmarket with great beaches and some good restaurants. Would I stay at Formosa Park again? My only negative comment is about the beds which are narrow and hard, two small single beds pushed together, this I believe lets the hotel down and is quite off-putting. Change the beds please to something more comfortable and I will be booking to stay at this hotel very soon!

Room Tip: If you are planning to spend most of your time at the hotel then a pool or sea view room would be go...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Penton
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Having recently returned from Formosa Park using the hotel apartments for a golf holiday , I can only say what joy it was to stay hear. The apartments were vast with two separate bedrooms and bathrooms. The bed was not two hard as is often the case, the views were nice, the food very good with a large selection on offer. We also had a first class evening meal on night the fish was in particular very good. However it was the staff that made the trip and nothing was too much trouble. we are bound to return again one day and for our party, it will be hear to stay again. The only thing I would suggest, would be a sign on the main road to the hotel, as it can be hard to find.

Room Tip: I can only reccomend the apatments as that is what we had.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed for a long weekend which was pleasant enough, but be aware the the hotel is mostly occupied by parties of golfers. The pool area is very good, but there is only one bar/restaurant and there is very little else within walking distance. The room was a small apartment and very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nigel R
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is possibly my tenth visit to the Algarve and being up front, I'm a golfer! Sitting on hot steamy beaches in July or August with thousands of beery holiday makers has zero appeal. I'm also getting old so quality and value for money are more important than the number of clubs or bars nearby. Sermon over, just setting expectations as everyone is different and if my likes don't float your boat then this review probably isn't much use to you.

The simple fact me and my chums keep going back to the Algarve and more specifically Vilamoura is testament to what it has to offer the fun loving but discerning golfer. In truth it has more than most golfers see. Miles of fabulous beaches which in spring and autumn are usually empty. Great and I mean really great golf courses! Hotels which at this time of year are only 10-20% occupied so offer great deals and value. Plus more choice in cafés and restaurants than I've been able to fully sample in ten years. Local food is of high quality and a friendly welcome awaits all who engage with the locals.

This trip was a cheapy, using up loyalty 'freebies' and returning to one favourite haunt. So in one week I stayed in three hotels and I will post reviews of all of them as the comparison may help others choose where to stay.

The Other hotels were all five star so the Formosa Park was always going to be at a disadvantage by comparison. Nevertheless I keep coming back to the Formosa and will continue doing as it really is the best value golfing package available in the area. Look up the Birdie package and add up what it would cost you to source these elements separately. Three nights bed and breakfast, two dinners and two rounds of golf for how much? Plus an apartment with lots of room and lovely outlook over the pool! Not to be sniffed at. Not immediately obvious is the fact you can also add a round at half price on the fantastic San Lorenzo course which is by far my favourite course in this area - stunning doesn't do it justice!

I like the setting of the Formosa. It is out of the way and has a lovely stretch of ultra quiet and private beach only ten minutes walk away (2 minutes by car). It's close to several golf courses and the Formosa Natural Park which is itself a great day out (take the ferry from Faro to Isla Deserta for an amazing experience and eat in the fantastic sea food restaurant).

The hotel is basic but very clean and well kept. The staff are really attentive and friendly and the bar manager has been there forever so good to see him and to be recognised as a regular. The bar food is really good and prices are much better than in nearby Vale do Lobo or Quinta.

It is some way (20 minutes by car) to the Vilamoura nightlife and attractions but golfers can share a taxi very economically. Not an issue for me but some of my golfing buddies do prefer to be somewhere livelier. The only thing I would do if I was the management of the hotel is to upgrade the beds! Something more comfy would be welcome and preferably the option of a double rather than two singles pushed together.

But if you're planning a golfing trip and want somewhere that offers amazing value for money, decent quality and a warm welcome then this is my all time favourite and I can promise I will be back again and again. Oh I forgot, I am booked to go again with my golfing buddies in October!

Highly recommended and wins the best value for money award outright!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tony B
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here before always good this time with family and friends the staff and Hotel are always excellent the only two points I can mark the Hotel down for are -1- the mattresses are hard and the rubber sheet on top is not too great. The location is ok but a little far from everywhere ok if you are fit to walk but not so good for the less fit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Almancil
Encosta do Lago
Dunas Douradas Beach Club
Dunas Douradas Beach Club
#2 of 14 in Almancil
Pousada Palacio Estoi

Been to Formosa Park Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!