“Worth Every Penny”

Ranked #2 of 106 Hotels in Ayia Napa
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Worth Every Penny”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My fiancé and I visited the Alion Beach for a two week stay between 6 July and 20 July 2014.

This wasn't our first visit to Cyprus or indeed to Ayia Napa as a resort, having previously stayed at two other highly rated Hotels.

All I can say is that from our experience Alion Beach far surpasses the other accommodation we have stayed at in every respect. The setting, the hotels organisation, the views from the balcony (over Napa and surrounding area) and probably above all the politeness and professionalism of the staff when combined together served to make this holiday something really special.

My advice to anyone considering visiting the Alion Beach would quite simply be save up and go. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Select a sea view room (with high floor if possible). Worth every penny. If you are flush, the hotel...
2 Thank Warren P
PanicosMichael, General Manager at Alion Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your excellent revirew. We are deligthed to hear that your stay at the Alion was a memorable one and surpassed your expectations! Alion team strives to provide personal, quality servcie and delight every guest with many memorable beach holiday experiences.
Wishing you a very nice remaining of the summer we look forward to welcoming you back at the Alion before not too long.
The Alion Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The staff were helpful and friendly, the whole place was clean, the view was good from the balcony even though we weren't on the sea side, the location was a a nice walk away from the main hub. The only negative was the breakfast was so nice you wanted to eat it all and drink all the cava! Would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chloë B
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your excellent review. We are delighted to hear that your had a lovery stay with us at the Alion adn we all look ofrward to welcoming you back before not too long.
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2014

To write a review that presents the most valuable information to future prospective guests it seems only logical to discuss the good and bad aspects of the Hotel in a fair and balanced manner. Further, it is only fair to the hotel to mention all of the good things along with the aspects I found lacking or recommendations I would have for improvement. I am pleased to say in the case of Alion, I found almost nothing bad during my 25 day stay, rather only a few minor suggestions to improve the overall hotel guest experience.

Alion Beach Hotel, located about 10 minutes from the heart of Ayia Napa, is a modern yet elegantly designed hotel with a clean sophisticated look and feel. The hotel houses 100 rooms - 32 park view, 40 sea view, 20 side sea view, and 8 larger panoramic rooms. The hotel is nicely situated escaping the loud active Ayia Napa nightlife and overlooking one of the best parts of Limanaki Beach for swimming and sunbathing. Further, a short 5-10 minute walk along the Beach leads you to magnificent sea caves easily accessible to more adventurous swimmers and of course, divers. A short 10 minute walk the other way, leads you to the vibrant centre of Ayia Napa with its numerous restaurants and abundance of pulsating nightlife.

From Larnaca airport my journey was under 45 minutes and about 60kms (the standard taxi fair being about 60€). Last year I arrived from Ercan airport in the North - about 70kms and a longer 75 minute journey. From the road the hotel is very clearly marked and the hotel provided plenty of underground parking. The reception area design and overall layout of the hotel is both clean, modern, and pleasant. Overall a terrific first impression with a lovely view overlooking the clean emerald coloured waters of the Mediterranean.

This year my arrival was a rather late one. The hotel check-in was fast, friendly and efficient. In fact, it was one of the most efficient check-ins I have had in years and this was greatly appreciated after a long day of travel. I really wish more hotels learned this from Alion. After arriving in my room I found the hotel was kind and thoughtful enough to leave behind a complimentary plate of fresh sandwiches, plate of fruit, and a bottle of a local drink (wine) named Commandaria. Fresh flowers were also present in the room. A spectacular start to any stay.

I found the maintenance and cleanliness of the rooms throughout my 25 day stay to be superb. Maid service was twice daily (including the turn down service in the evening). During the latter little chocolate mints were left for guests before bed and towels etc were replenished, garbage was emptied, and the room was tidied up. All of my interactions with the cleaning staff were excellent - they were friendly, helpful, and eager to please the hotel guests.

Even though the rooms at Alion were far from huge they had ample closet space. Being on a longer journey I had quite a bit of clothing and luggage accompanying me. For a smaller sized room, there was more than enough space to properly stow and store everything - and plenty of hangers - Thank you!

Our patio was small, but rather cute, and the view of the pool, Limanaki Beach and the sea was just lovely. A nice perch in the evening to sit and relax. The patio had a small drying rack which came in handy for air drying bathing suits and shoes after a day at the beach - a nice touch.

The TV in the room was of adequate size and well positioned with a rotating base making it easy to watch in bed or in the adjacent sitting area by the table.

The mini-bar was well stocked and also reasonably priced. Complimentary coffee and tea was also provided with a fast boiling kettle and a nice variety of 4 teas - Green, Ceylon, English breakfast and English afternoon tea. Additional water and snack items were also present and available for purchase. Specialty wine glasses were provided for the Commandaria and wine glasses and tumblers for the other drinks. It would have been nice to have a corkscrew already in the room but one was quickly provided upon request.

One recommendation to management, consider installing small Nespresso machines with capsules for purchase in the rooms (in addition to the existing setup). There is a large amount of counter space available by the desk and TV and this would truly be a nice touch.

The bathroom was small but adequate. A bidet was also present which was nice. The bathroom was equipped with a vanity kit, shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, lotion, hand soap and shower cap. Kleenex and multiple toilet paper rolls were also provided. All of which were of good quality. A makeup mirror was also present and nice to have as we found ourselves using it daily. However, it would have been nice if it was lit.

The shower was excellent, water temperature was consistent and could be selected from cold to very hot. The tub did drain a little on the slow side - a minor nit picky complaint but perhaps worthy to look into as last year my tub had the same issue.

There were plenty of towels in a variety of sizes - the bath and beach towels were large and also of good quality. One beach towel would cover the entire sun chair. On a daily basis I would request additional beach towels (to use as a head rest or to dry off). The maids were happy to provide these, however the hotel should consider having a towel depository accessible to guests down in the sunbathing area near the pool or showers. Also, this would be nice near the gymn and indoor pool.

The air conditioning was excellent and the room could be kept icy cold even on the hottest of days. The room was well lit, switches were well thought out in their placement, and outlets for charging were in a handy location easily accessible.

The room contained multiple garbage cans which is convenient for dispensing with rubbish. I have stayed in too many hotels with just one small one in the bathroom which drives me crazy. The more, the merrier - note to management - perhaps one more located by the small table sitting area where the fruit is located would be a nice addition.

Beds are comfortable and furnished with quality linen. A total of four pillows are provided (2 different sizes). The 2 sizes were appreciated by myself and my spouse as we prefer different size pillows.

During my stay I made use of the laundry services on multiple occasions. The service was excellent with the laundry arriving on time and properly laundered (the prices were also reasonable).

A proper, well functioning wall safe was present in the closet area.

The curtains in the room were substantial and adequately kept out light while sleeping.

Internet and breakfast were automatically included with our stay. Breakfast was from 7-11am. Breakfast was terrific and there was a variety day to day. A large selection of everything was present including a person manning a hot griddle to freshly prepare your eggs, pancakes or waffles as you desire. Unless my eyes were playing tricks on me, bacon was prepared both regular and crispy and served in separate steam table sections - very thoughtful. Nice selection of cold meats, cheese, pastry, breads, fruit, vegetables, oatmeal, fresh juices and champagne. Coffee was excellent, served in a carafe at your table. Breakfast staff were efficient and friendly. One morning we both abandoned our table not realizing birds would move in to scoop our breakfast, but a staff member stayed by the table saving our breakfast, awaiting our return. Very considerate and definitely noticed :) - thank you! My only suggestions or recommendations would be to have more water available as several times it was out and needed replenishing as there where only 2 bottles present. Further, consider also sparkling water in addition to the still, for some it is a very nice touch.

On occasion internet was sporadic or slow, but during the vast majority of my time at Alion it was perfectly fine. It was also nice that it extended right out onto the beach so one could use wifi with their iPad/iPhone in the sun chair or on the sand.

The pool area was nicely designed, surrounded by beautiful flowering trees and tables for an afternoon lunch. Everything around the pool and beach area was quiet and relaxing. The pool area was well equipped with a terrific shower area, washrooms, foot wash stations and a larger softer day bed. The pool area was more than substantial in accommodating the number of guests.

The pool/beach chairs were excellent in quality providing a very comfortable sunbathing area below straw type fixed umbrellas. Mounted to the steel pole of the umbrella was a small plastic safe, perfect for stashing your phone, room key, or wallet. Brilliant idea and greatly appreciated. Further, upon check-in your umbrella and chairs are selected and remain reserved for you for the remainder of your stay. Great idea. Daily, late in the morning the pool staff distributed ice cold wet towels to refresh - very nice and thoughtful touch. The walk to the sea for a swim or to rest on the beach was under a minute and only really a few metres away.

The hotel appears to have had several small kittens adopt them. Kudos to management for providing a feeding station for them. The presence of them truly added character and it appeared most of the guests appreciated having them around.

The pool bar restaurant was excellent. Large menu, terrific food, and great service. Every day that I had lunch elsewhere I always regretted it. My only recommendations to management for improvement would be to include a linen napkin instead of the thick paper one and perhaps toothpicks.

The hotel contained a small but reasonably well equipped gymn, squash court, games room with pool table, foosball (table soccer) and ping pong along with 2 tennis courts in the front park area. It would have been nice to have towels provided in the gymn to properly clean the equipment after each use rather than the paper type towel provided. Further additional disinfectant and spray bottles to clean the equipment would have been nice.

The spa was pleasing and reasonably priced. The spa offered quite a good variety of services including hair, nails, massage, facials exec. Spa staff was always very friendly, offering a "hello" or "have a good day" even when just walking by on the way to the pool. Staff at Alion appears to turn over very little, hence several of the staff members including the spa staff remembered me from visits prior years.

Near the games room there is also a small store with a variety of things that may be needed during the stay. Very convenient and it was appreciated to have a store with this selection within the hotel.

The business centre/lounge on the main floor is really quite lovely with 2 computers for guest use and a huge sitting/ reading area. Recommendation to management, it would have been nice to have a printer/scanner available in the business centre to print out boarding passes etc.

Bell services are friendly and efficient and have been tended to by the same gentleman for as long as I have been coming to the hotel.

Finally, on multiple occasions during my stay the general manager took the time to approach me to ask about how my stay was going and to thank me for choosing Alion. This was also certainly noticed and appreciated. It is refreshing to see management this is engaged - It certainly has rubbed off on the staff as they too often inquired about how I was doing and seemed to genuinely care.

Without hesitation I would rate Alion 5/5. There is always room for improvement, but in this case it is minor and small.

I hope readers (including hotel management) will find this review accurate, fair and balanced and ultimately useful. Useful in making an informed consumer decision, and useful to improve the overall guest experience.

Room Tip: If possible request a sea view room on the top floor. Terrific sea view and very quiet.
3 Thank Winston D
PanicosMichael, General Manager at Alion Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Mr Winston D,
Thank you very much for your excellent review. It has been a real pleasure to have you once again as our guest and we are delighted to hear that your stay at the Alion was a memorable one. The Aion team strives to provide excellent Beach Holiday Experiences and we are so glad to hear that your stay with us was one of them!
We would also like to thank you for the recomendations and suggestions, which have been noted and they will be food for thought for further imptovement.
Wishing you a very nice remaining of the summer we lookfo rward to welcoming you back before not too long.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Had 3 marvellous holidays here, everything perfect from location, staff , rooms, food
The only problem is we go to Protaras or Ayia Napa alternate years, just tried to book for September 2015 on theirwebsite and its showing no rooms available, this shows how popular by repeat clients this place is
So its back to the Capo

Room Tip: Searooms are excellent ,however side and front of hotel are good and quiet due to hotel being set ba...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Audilad
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for your excellent review. I just need to clarify that for 2015 we do have rooms available as it is still early (even for Alion!) to become fully booked so ealry in advance. Due to the relatively small size and the high demand we do get early fully booked (especially during the periods May -june and September October) but this does not happen until the beginning of january. Please note that next years rates are loaded and now you can find availability for 2015 on our online reservation system.
Thanking you once again for your excellent review we lookofrward to welcoming you back at the Alion before not too long.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Ayia Napa has quite a reputation as a clubbing location but if you want to stay somewhere that does NOT have a continuous beat in the back ground, then the Alion is a haven of peace with a beautiful clean beach a few seconds walk away. We found the service to be excellent with all staff having a very good grasp of English and it seemed as though nothing was too much trouble to make our stay the best it could possibly be. Our room was very comfortable and had everything in it to make our stay very enjoyable.

The pool side restaurant had a consistently tasty menu which was available throughout the day and 2 happy hours for cocktails, which we enjoyed trying a different one each day. When we wanted a change of scene, it was an interesting 20 minute stroll into the restaurants and bars at the centre of Aiya Napa.

The array of food on offer for breakfast was amazing and thoroughly enjoyable to have such a selection to chose from.

This hotel provides a cool (temperature) and enjoyable place in which to relax and unwind and I think they achieve it with elegance, good humour and attention to detail.

I absolutely recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the tennis courts are cooler though the rooms on the other side have a more specta...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SallySRoberts
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for your excellent review. We are so glad to hear that your stay with us was a an excellent one and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Good hotel with allocated sun beds by the beach. Breakfast was excellent. very near to Aiya Napa center where variety of shopping and dining is available. Sea view rooms would be good option, if available and affordable.

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your very good review. We are delighted to hear that your had a great stay with us and we hope that we will have the pleasure of having you once again as our guest in the near future.
The Alion team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Superb attentive staff, fantastic location just far enough from Aiya Napa centre to walk in to enjoy the night life but not be disturbed by noise. Stayed here with a friend. Enjoyed extensive breakfast and early dinners by the pool. Happy hour for the cocktails was a great hit.
Allocated sun loungers on a private lawn leading to the beach which is not private but not crowded either. Beautiful clear water, nice ten minute walk along the beach into Napa.

To summarise: what's not to love???! We will be back!

Room Tip: Park rooms only get sun early in the morning so it is nice to sit out during the day. Sea view room...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carin D
PanicosMichael, General Manager at Alion Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your excellent review. We are so delighted to hear that your holiday with us was a memorable one and we all look forward to welcoming you back before not too long.