“Olympic review” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 106 Hotels in Ayia Napa
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Olympic review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

Had a great time with my wife and 9yr old boy. Entertainers made it especially Sam dance and Emma a sweat scot lass - had to teach Sam how to play archery tho !! Defo go again !!

Room Tip: Try and get a pool view room !!
1 Thank Alexandra M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

We got married here in May and had a brilliant holiday, the hotel is lovely and most of the staff can't do enough for you.
We booked a junior suite which was spacious and clean. We did move rooms though as the first one backed onto a little road and had a large hole in the hedge which we felt was unsafe for our son. We were a bit dissapointed that we didn't get an upgrade to at least a pool view, which I know is subject to availability for wedding couples but literally everyone else we spoke to whilst there seemed to have been upgraded.
The pools are good and the lazy river is brilliant, I could of floated round on that all day. We never had an issue with sunbeds and managed to get close to the pools. We would put our towels down on way to breakfast then go straight to the pool after. I did notice a lot of people reserving beds in groups then not using them until late in the afternoon and the annoying thing about that was the majority of those people had rooms that backed onto the pool so half the time they just sat in their garden not even using the reserved beds !

We had no complaints about the food, probably the best 4* buffet we have had although after 10 days it was starting to get a bit repetitive. I found it a bit chaotic at lunchtime having to get your own drinks as they wouldn't provide trays to carry drinks out so if you've got kids you find yourself going backwards and forwards a few times before you even get started on the food. Luckily drinks are brought over at dinnertime.
The Japanese was awesome, wasn't sure if I would like it but it was so good. What I found odd is that when our friends wanted to join us the booking points said that there were no tables available yet there were only three other couples there the whole time we were eating ? I noticed the same happened on other nights so not sure if there is a problem with the machines ?
Evening entertainment was good and as someone else mentioned you can feel in the minority if you are not travelling as a group as the tables get taken over ! We experienced both sides as we travelled earlier than our guests and I couldn't wait for them to arrive as it seemed we were the only people on our own.

Onto the wedding,The co-ordinators can't do enough for you and I expect Helen my TC rep was glad to see the back of me !! Sadly I wasn't very well on the day but it pretty much ran according to plan except a few issues which I did make the hotel & TC aware of. We had the ceremony at 5pm and before our photos were finished the staff were setting up tables for another wedding party that were having there meal there after us. This meant a lot of our photos didn't have as much of the gardens as I would of hoped and in one of them there was a random guys backside. Seriously. I won't go into detail on here but I was pretty cross about the photos overall.
The gala menu was amazing, worthy of the extra price but not great if you just have the cheap childrens option as they literally just get a plate of nuggets and chips off the buffet. That's it, no dessert. We also had an 18month old that didn't have to pay for food as she was under 2, I assumed she would get a mini starter, main etc but no they offered her nothing, obviously explains why there was no charge then !

We only used the kids club once but it was excellent, on a par with a UK nursery and I think most if not all of the staff are English. The kids pool was a hit with our party although my son preferred to do football with Kenny instead !

Overall the holiday was brilliant and we had a great time with our friends and family. I personally wouldn't go back unless I was part of a group as I found it a bit much sometimes to come back to your sunlounger, table whatever and it literally be surrounded by about 20 people you don't know all shouting over you. I went over to my friends lounger once to find a group of people sat around and on it blasting out Irish folk music on their ipod.

My tips would be,

Don't bother taking more than one beach towel as the hotel provide these, change your money before you go or withdraw from cashpoint in Nissi Bay as the hotel rate is pretty poor, take flannels as these are not provided and if you are having wedding hair done take extra cash as the salon won't take card or charge to room. Also for anyone booking a wedding, reserve your date via the hotel before you book with TC. I didn't and had a hell of a job getting it all sorted !!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Ineedaholiday2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

we have just returned from our stay at the olympic lagoon resort.we were there for our sons wedding at the garden of eden restaurant .this is a lovely hotel ,the food was excellentand plentiful.thepools are set in beautiful grounds and gardens.i would definatly recomend this hotel.lyn and roy portsmouth .june 2012

Room Tip: we paid extra for e sea view and it was well worth it ,
3 Thank lindawiltshire_12
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Myself, my husband and my three year old stayed here from 23rd May for two weeks. Check in was very quick and reception explain the all inclusive etc when you arrive. The room safe is free and is electronic so no key to lose when out and about. They explain that the Japenese restaurant can be used once per week and the Greek/Cypriot restaurant can be used twice per week. Anything more then you have to pay. The 50's themed restaurant can be used as often as you like along with the main buffet. We tried all of the restaurants and found all of them to be excellent. It does depend though on what you like to eat. We're not really fussy eaters but there is something for everyone and all food was tasty.

Suitcases taken to our room for us and how to use the safe/air con explained. The mini bar is stocked with juice, water and beer but once you drink it, it will not be replenished. There is a supermarket right outside the back of the hotel though that sells just about everything you could ever need and is reasonably priced too.

The room itself was a standard room with a side sea view. They would be much better calling this a side pool view as there is no view of the sea at all. Didn't bother us but is misleading. the rooms themselves are nicely decorated but are very small. Was a tight squeeze with a 3rd bed for our child however we spent very little time in here so not a major thing. If you do spend a lot of time in your room then I would suggest upgrading to a bungalow. The only thing that was a bit annoying about the room was the lack of storage space for clothes and the lack of coat hangers in the wardrobe. Nine coat hangers for three people was not nearly enough. Free wifi all over the hotel and grounds I should mention. Pool towels are replaced everyday and are left in your room for you by the maid.

The hotel itself is spotless and is very well presented. Everywhere is immaculate and well kept. The only one thing that I didn't like we're the toilets by the pool. They were horrible and smelt terrible. All other public areas and toilets were gorgeous so not sure why these ones were so badly looked after. I would avoid them!!

Pirate ship for the kids is fantastic. Very safe for little ones that can't swim and there is always a lifeguard on duty. Only bad thing is the people who feel the need to put towels down on the best sun loungers the night before or at the crack of dawn and then have the cheek to turn up at about midday or sometimes not even at all. The hotel needs to look at this. Our wee boy is only two so we wanted to try to get a lounger where we could always see him but struggled sometimes. This was very annoying when half the sun loungers were not being used but had been reserved with towels. We watched and for four days in a row the full front row was reserved and no one turned up at all to use the loungers all day!!

There is a small kiosk at the pool where you can get salads and sandwiches for snacks. We actually preferred this rather than eating a huge lunch in the dining room. Our wee boy much preferred a sandwich at the pool than being dragged off to a dining room at lunch time. The chicken caesar salads are lovely.

There is a kids play park where we spent a lot of time. There are swings, a roundabout and a slide. Think maybe the hotel could add to this a bit as there is lots of space there. There is a big grassy area beside the park where kids can run around with a ball etc.

We didn't use the daily entertainment but there is plenty going on if you want to get involved. The entertainment team will ask but they are not pushy. The evening entertainment starts with a kids disco at 8pm, followed by a quiz, then bingo and then show of some sort. Some acts are brought in and some are done by the entertainment team. Some were better than others but we were happy with it. The entertainment team work so hard and should be praised for the effort they put in. There are kids clubs which appeared to be very good but we didn't actually use them so can't really comment. What I can say is that they seemed to know all the kids that went to them by name so they did obviously take a bit of interest in them and the kids all seemed to love them.

If you are at the entertainment area at night with a child in nappies then I would recommend going to the toilets which are situated by the spa/gym/indoor pool. They are very clean. Don't use the ones behind the entertainment area as these are the ones that are smelly.

The beach is a two minute walk out the back of the hotel. Lovely clear sea and very clean. Beds and parasols can be hired for the day. You can get a bus into Ayia Napa. We enjoyed the walk in and back but it would be too far for anyone with walking difficulties.

There are a lot of weddings here. We knew that before we went and they didn't interrupt our holiday at all. The only thing is that I would say if you're not part of a wedding group here then you are very much in the minority. Think this may be part of the issue with sun loungers etc as rather than a family of two or three people reserving a bed, it was groups of people reserving them. Also the entertainment area at night was full of big groups all sitting together. The weddings themselves don't interrupt your holiday though and it wouldn't stop us going back.

We loved this hotel and felt that it was a good all rounder. Good food, entertainment, friendly staff and immaculate grounds. We would certainly go back. Already looking at it for next year but the prices have jumped up massively. The same two weeks next year is been priced at £1300 more than it cost us this year. If you're booked to come here then look forward to it coz it's fab!!

Room Tip: If you want space then book a bungalow.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank wendywoodles2001
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Just returned from family wedding and holiday at this resort and it was great.
Plenty for the kids to do without team being in your face. Rooms were clean and modern, maid service very good( cleaned and fresh towels every day). The food was amazing with a very wide variety of choice( we had a couple of vegetarians with us who had plenty to choose from too)
The pool areas and gardens were clean and staff often round to tidy up cups etc. the actual pools were lovely... Kids pool had pirate ship with slides which my 3 year old loved. The lazy river was something alittle different and all ages of our party loved it.
The wedding was just perfect........setting, photography, food and of course the happy couple!!
I am finding it hard to find faults to tell because we loved the everything about the hotel and had a great holiday. If I were to nit-pick I would say the double room we had was lovely but on the small side and our party's rooms were scattered all over the hotel including our two eldest kids being
5 doors up the corridor. The entertainment was ok and the hypnotist was soooo funny. Kids disco went down a treat. The staff were good with the kids and all very friendly, they were polite and attentive smiling all day long. Took a diving trip which was amazing. There is a shop just out of the grounds selling essentials and a few usual gifts.
The teen club is worth a mention with its computers and playstations etc and don't forget pool towels are provided. I would go back tomorrow...... If it weren't for packing and unpacking!!!!

5 Thank Dawn C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

we have just got back we got married & had a wounderfull time with are friends & family will book again fab donna & jason portsmouth

Room Tip: i have just come back from the olympic largoon we got married in the garden of eden the hotel was th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank donna w
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

We have just got back today from The Pluympic Lagoon Resort and had to get on here straight away to share my thoughts on this Resort. Not sure where to start. The hotel facilities are spotless and cannot be faulted in any shape or form. The staff cannot do enough for you and are very polite and smiley at 'ALL' times. The entertainment team are amazing and have so much energy it is unbelievable, I take my hat off to them, they work some horrendously long hours, but they are all so approachable. Food glorious food, that is all I can say about it. There was so much choice and of a wide variety to choose from. The salad bar was brilliant if you didnt fancy a heavy hot meal. You must try the Japanese Restaurant that is an experience in itself, not ever having tried Sushi before, so it was a must. And ladies, you must have a full body massage in their Spa, whilst you are there, a full hour of pampering, so relaxing. Our large group have already discussed returning back there next year for a full 2 weeks and not the short 11 days, as it felt. All in all a fantastic time had by all. Thankyou very much !

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends