“upgrade made it the best it could have been the worst”

Olympic Lagoon Resort
Ranked #3 of 106 Hotels in Ayia Napa
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“upgrade made it the best it could have been the worst”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I write a lot of reviews on trip advisor I write them because I myself like to read other opinions. We travel a lot and have seen some of the best and the worst the travel industry has to offer.
Travel and hotels, as with food is a subjective matter so this is my opinion and the way that I rate the facilities.
i booked a standard room at this hotel and led by the travel agent and the reviews on here I was looking forward to a quality stay.
When we arrived at the hotel we were upgraded to the olympic resort. this is across the road from the main complex and next to the beach. There are just 18 rooms with their own reception, pool, bar open till 6pm and you can take breakfast and lunch here from a small a la carte but sufficient menu.
You will be served as in the main hotel by excellent staff with a high level of customer service. The difference here it that you have the same waiter and bar staff Andreas and Fanos for whom nothing is too much trouble.
You have beach on your doorstep if this is what you want or your own pool for just a small set of rooms. It is very quiet and peaceful. You will get to know the others that are in the other rooms and this made the holiday as it was like a friendly house party with no uninvited guests. We even started staying over there art night having a drink in each others company away fro the chaos of the family bar.
The main part of the hotel was full of babies and toddlers. I have never seen so many.
Bars like cinnamon were supposed to be adults only after 9 but on a few nights this was ignored and the staff did not enforce this.
The guitar player in cinnamon sounded like he was warming up for an hour and was drowned out by the noise from the overenthusiastic lagoon bar. Everyone i spoke to complained about the faffing around when playing bingo.
It really got on my nerves and I am sure that somewhere in the grounds they could have had so me kind of a chill bar.
The drinks on the whole were of good quality and so was the service. We are red wine drinkers and they were serving some very bad french red that we could not drink. The Cypriot red KEO was one step up but I am sure that they could have gone just one better on an island that produces wine.
Food: There was always plenty of choice in the buffet where we had to eat at night. It was a bit of a bun fight with so many kids.
There was a small adults only area outside.
The Japanese was full of toddlers and babies as was the Captains deck. There was a toddler running in and out whilst the mother sat there and there is water surrounding the place my heart was in my mouth.
The lazy river is a good touch and I enjoyed this a couple of times.
I cannot speak highly enough of the staff and their approach to customer service it is some of the best and most consistent that I have experienced.
The complex is a bit of a wedding factory although they seem tastefully done no easy feat when there are about 4-5 a week.
There is a bus stop right outside with regular buses for a euro. Excellent value and they are frequent about every 20 minutes.
The whole complex is spotless and there are no shortage of staff some are English.
I would say that being based in the Olympic bay is like being in a small 5* boutique hotel and going in to the main complex is like going into a small frantic village where you can't wait to go back to your own part.
Fishermans village is the other adult only part and cost quite a bit to upgrade. I can't see how there apartments do not get affected by the noise from the lagoon pool. They are very nice but not so private.
To sum up we had a fantastic holiday with service to rival any 5* establishment but............. if we had not got that up grade this review would have been very different.
Would we go back well there are so many places to go but yes to Olympic bay in a heart beat.

Room Tip: If you are adults and can afford the upgrade go for it
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jaxw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed here from the 24th April to the 5th of May. Firstly the bad points.
1. There was an early heatwave with temperatures in the low 30's for most of our stay. The management refused to turn on the aircon until the 1st of May and told various differing stories to different guests e.g. it's broken, other guests will be cold etc. Truth is it was penny pinching and it came on in the early hours of the 1st of May. This is obviously a kanika hotels policy as if you read the reviews of their other hotels the complaints are the same as are the lies about why it is not on. With a room temp of 27 degrees for the first 5 days it was a bit uncomfortable. They did supply a noisy fan which just kept disturbing the baby and created a trip hazard as the only plug was at the end of the bed.
2.It would have been cooler in the room if we could have opened the doors but room 149 is above the bar and faces the evening entertainment. There would be no sleeping with the doors open whilst that was going on.
3.The hotel is just off the motorway so make sure you get an odd number room. Evens face the motorway and would be very noisy. Luckily we had a seaview room. Don't expect this to mean you can see the waves lapping the shore, more you can see it in the distance over the supermarket and other hotels. For best viewing take binoculars
4. Bathrooms small and shower curtain had seen better days. Would be best replaced with a glass screen as it spent most of its time stuck to my backside
5. Could do with no smoking area's around the pool particuarly the childrens pool.
6. Could do with emptying the bins more often around the pool, sometimes they were overflowing. There was no option to recycle anything which was a shame as vast amounts of plastic is consumed.
7.A collection of buckets and spades etc were put out each day in the sandpit. 30% of which was broken and sharp. The broken stuff was never removed.
8.Limited fresh fruit in the restaurant. Restricted to same 5 things everyday. More variety such as grapes, cherries, strawberries, watermelon etc
9. If you sit outside the cinnamon bar or in the lounge area you can hear all three lots of music from all the bars. Not very relaxing!

Now moaning over this is a very good hotel. Pools are lovely, including the lazy, grounds are well kept and rooms adequate for a couple + baby. Food in the main restaurant is good and meze and japanese is excellent. The american diner is a nice experience but the food is mediocre and the choice limited. Most of the entertainment is of a good standard and worth a look and the kids club which is included in the all inclusive is of a good standard. The hotel is a bit remote but if you dont want to leave this is not an issue. There is a nice beach 5 minutes across the road. All the staff seem very friendly and service is excellent (except the airconditioning lies from senior management and the Thomson rep!) The shallow entry pools are ideal for toddlers and our nipper loved the pirate ship pool. Would I recommend this hotel? Yes definitely but make sure you get a pool view room and don't go before the 1st of May if you want aircon.

1 Thank dananmel
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Having just returned from Olympic Lagoon with my 22 year old daughter, I must admit we were disappointed after reading such good reviews. We arrived at the hotel about 23.00, given our room key card and were just left to find our room and carry our own cases. After leaving our cases in our room, tired and hungry after 12 hours of travelling we asked if there was any food available we were given cheese and ham sandwiches, being vegetarian I asked if there was anything else available to be bluntly told "no". Already disappointed I then asked whether tea and coffee making facilities were available, we were then asked what room we were in and then told "kettles were not provided in standard rooms! Not a good start to our holiday........
We received a letter in our from saying if there was anything that could improve our stay to call the customer relations number, which I did, she was extremely helpful and a kettle & tea & coffee arrived within the hour.
Or room number 116 looked out over the dual carriageway which was very noisy even with the doors closed. We never sat out on the balcony because of the constant noise of the traffic. The room was quite basic and certainly not what I would class as 4 star.
The food was fairly good, although the same food seemed to be on offer most nights, the same fish was available 5 nights out of 7. The waiting staff were rather eager to clear tables, we saw at least 3 times they cleared tables before people had finished their meals.
On the plus side everywhere was spotlessly clean, there were always plenty of sun beds available and cold drinks endlessly available whilst sunbathing.
The taxis into Ayia Napa are very expensive 8 euros one way and 9 euros back.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are worth paying extra for
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
olympicpr, Guest Relations Manager at Olympic Lagoon Resort, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your constructive feedback and sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

Kindly be advised that all issues mentioned on your review have been addressed. On behalf of the management and team of Olympic Lagoon Resort we extend our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. Given the opportunity we would like to welcome you back to our property, allowing us to reinstate your faith in our Resort and the Team.

Should you wish to, please contact the Guests Relations Manager on olympicpr@kanikahotels.com and we would be most delighted to look after you.

We are looking forward to hearing room you in the very near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We had our wedding here and we were blown away with this hotel. Amazing day, amazing hotel, the staff were polite, friendly and helpful, the hotel was clean and family friendly but if you are a couple there is the most beautiful secluded rooms to stay in. The food was lovely and a variety of restaurants with in the hotel. Plenty of entertainment for children and adults alike. Amazing holiday, wanted to rebook but it's fully booked already, says it all really! It's pricey but worth every single penny!! Lovely precious memories with my family at this beautiful hotel. Five stars!!

• Stayed April 2013
Leeds
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed here early April 2013. Upon arriving at the hotel entrance, I could see immediately that we had selected a gem of a place. Checked in at about 10pm, and as I did another guest tapped me on the shoulder and said 'You're gonna love it here'......he wasn't wrong!

With it being the Easter holidays, it was full of families with children running about the place but it didn't get on my nerves as much as I thought it would. Our room was lovely, huge comfortable bed, nice en-suite room, balcony overlooking the pool (paid extra for this).

This was my first all inclusive holiday, so I was a little concerned that the food might be mass produced, low quality rubbish, however this was not the case at all. The food in the main restaurant was brilliant, some of the best I have had abroad. It's fair to say that a lot of it is repeated each night but with so much choice and with it being so good, it doesn't become an issue in the slightest.

The entertainments team were great to have around the complex too. My girlfriend and I spoke to Ciaran most days, really nice fella who was very easy to talk to. Ciaran, Annie and Arran were fantastic during the evenings Cabaret show, as were the other entertainers. Highly recommended, they all had so much energy all the time, even after such long hours working!

Their are also two additional restaurants that you can visit once/twice through the week. The Cypriot restaurant and the Japanese restaurant. The Cypriot one wasn't my sort of thing and I didn't enjoy it personally. However the Japanese restaurant was out of this world, some of the best food I have had. The chefs cooked in front of you which was a nice touch too. I would highly recommend a trip to the Japanese Restaurant. (I even tried Sushi for the first time and loved it!)

The only two things I would say let the holiday down for me were the pool being very cold (time of the year I guess) and a lot of wedding parties mean that large groups take over the place sometimes a little too much.

Overall though...I would highly recommend visiting this hotel...you will not be disappointed! (I just hope the prices don't shoot up too much now!)

Matt and Amy

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew H
Nantwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Visited with my wife and two children (8 and 5) during Easter 2013, what a gem. Having been to the Aliathon resort (Paphos) in August 2012, our expectations were high but the Olympic Lagoon resort didn't let us down. Great service and food in all restaurants on site though could probably do with some more indoor seating in the main restaurant, staff great with children and ever so friendly. Pool area's are great, and the additional of the lazy river went down well with our children. The beach, a few minutes walk away, one of the best I have seen in Cyprus.. actually sandy with perfectly clear water, rather than the shingle so prevalent on the island. Location not so ideal.. Although both Protaras and Ayia Napa accessible via a short (and cheap!) bus journey, both resorts have seen better days.
Would definitely recommend

Reviewed 4 May 2013

We went to Olympic lagoon for my daughters wedding and what a set up it was . The wedding planners had everything arranged for us and everything went so smooth u couldn't of asked for better . The entertainment team made are stay really enjoyable the games round the pool and the shows in the evening they were very talented all 8 of them and so friendly they made my daughters wedding party so special . None of the guests wanted to come home . I will definetly be returning . This is a wonderful place .

• Stayed April 2013