“Very Good 4* hotel”

Ranked #13 of 106 Hotels in Ayia Napa
London
“Very Good 4* hotel”
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

During our recent family visit to Cyprus we have decided to stay few days at a beach hotel so as to enjoy a bit of sun and the sea After reading few reviews we have decided to book for 4 days at Asterias Beach Hotel at Makronisos. I am pleased to say that we made the right choice
Although we arrived at the hotel at around lunch time and few hours before the official check in time the lady at the reception was not only friendly and efficient but also informed us that our room was going to be ready within 45mins. At that point we had a quick walk around the hotel so as to see where everything was. The first impression was very good as the hotel looked very clean and at good decorative order . The swimming pool looked fantastic and it was only less than a min walk from the beach. We then went back to the reception and got our key. Our room was on the groud floor and it had a double bed plus a bunk bend for the kids which was great for a family . It looked like the rooms were recently decorated and looked fresh. Also towels were provided for the swimming pool and the beach.
We did spend the next 4 days enjoying the hotel and here are my comments
1. Swimming pool is great and always clean. Also there are a lot of sun beds and ombrellas so no need to actually fight for them unless you come very late
2. Breakfast was very good and in par with the best I had with a variatey of selection. I have visited a lot of hotels around the globe in the last number of years with a number of them been considered the best in the world but the BF I have in hotels in Cyprus while it might not have the top presentation is one of the best overall and this was repeated at Asterias Beach hotel
3. Food at the restaurants was very good quality. We were HB so we tried both the Al Carte menu during the day plus the buffet during the night and we were very pleased with both the quality and the options available. There was always something for everybody and the staff ensured even late in the evening that the dish you wanted was still available and hot.
4. The girls at the animation team try their best and work hard to entertain the guests. Well done to them for trying so hard on this difficult task
5. I found the hotel bar good and there was a decent selection of coctails and drinks available which I enjoyed

The bigget asset of the hotel is the staff friendlyness. All staff were very friendly and were always trying to help and accomodate our needs which I think is one of the most important factors for having a good holiday. The hotel in my opinion is a proper 4* one and it does what it says on the tin. It provides good services overall and I would love to come back again and would recomend it to anybody who is looking for a very good 4* hotel at a great location

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Theogeor
phadjisotiriou, Owner at Asterias Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
My sincere gratitude to you for your time to write your review of the Asterias Beach Hotel following your recent short stay.
I am delighted you and your family found everything in this hotel to your liking.
I certainly agree with your comment on how massively friendliness, helpfulness and efficiency ( in hotel employees ) contribute towards a hotel guest's satisfaction. In this respect I welcome your praise of our experienced senior staff( some with many years service in Asterias) as well as our more youthful trainees and gladly undertake to pass it on to them; via all the heads of departments.
I trust your first visit to the Asterias Beach Hotel is the first of many I and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This is not a 4 star hotel!, Should be a 3 star maximum!!
Breakfest is very poor, and it was a bit surprised the dinner was disgousting!!
Cheap see fish, wasn't roasted...
Only the see/beach was great place to stay. Beach sand was dirty, with condoms, tampons, etz, never cleaned!!
Sunbeds are uncomfortable, 7,5 euro/ day, 2 beds, one umbrella.
In the mini gift shop was a really mad, stupid, and rude shop assistant, who doesn't speak English or German.
The room was really clean, it was ok. BUT:

The fridge wasn't work, the air con doesn't blowing cold!!
I didn't sleep very well, beacuse outside - Dome beach hotel disco was very noisy every night.
The towels was clean but stinky...

Stuff and cleaning lady were friendly, it was ok.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank diana35a
phadjisotiriou, Owner at Asterias Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SHORT AND COLOURFUL REVIEW.

As a Hungarian, your choice to submit a review in poor English leads me to wonder as to your motive. The sections of your review that I can follow I answer fully below:-

The Asterias Beach Hotel is a long established, recently renovated, enviably located and very popular (with a high proportion of repeat guests) deservedly 4* hotel.

I reject entirely your unspecific criticism of our extensive breakfast and dinner buffets. We offer a wide variety of excellent quality food prepared with good ingredients and imagination. Many other reviews (on this and other websites) support my case.

I have read many other reviews of this hotel but recall none with such venom. Your review doesn’t make sense! Are you saying the beach was great or the sand was dirty and littered with rubbish?

Our beach boy, Marcus, now in his third season working in Asterias does an excellent job of cleaning our beach. You might say he is a perfectionist at his work and he consequently receives much praise from our guests.

The sunbed and beach-umbrella hire rates are set by the Agia Napa municipality at €2.50 incl. per item per day. The use of sunbeds and umbrellas at the pool terrace is of course free for hotel guests.

Did you report to the reception the fault with your fridge or your air condition and what was the outcome? Always report faults with equipment promptly to reception; for quick and effective repairs!

In all the years I have been reading and commenting on reviews of the Asterias Beach Hotel I don’t recall having heard again a complaint about “clean but stinky” towels. I am not aware of any Dome Beach Hotel disco noise and certainly haven’t ever had any complaints about it before yours! Congratulations, yours is the first!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Its was a great experience by the beach and I got to enjoy the newly renovated facilities, it looks amazing! The food is also great, enjoyed all three meals on the more relaxing days where I didn't leave the hotel!

Room Tip: Just be honest about your needs and ask the staff for advice before you book, they are very friendly...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AvniExplorer
phadjisotiriou, Owner at Asterias Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
I am very grateful to you for your time writing your review.
I am delighted you felt you could relax and unwind while residing with us.
Our food under head Chef, Sotiris, has improved markedly. I am, however, always interested in others' opinions and ideas, so drop me an email with your specific suggestions for changes.
I hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed there with my boyfriend in beginning of July. This is a lovely 4* hotel on the beach, the water is crystal clear and you can relax in the sun. The hotel was recently renovated and it looks like a new hotel. We loved their salmon teriyaki from the a la carte menu. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to record your impressions of your recent stay at the Asterias Beach Hotel.
I am gratified by your kind praise of our lovely beach, clear sea, the interior design and the quality of the finish following the latest renovation and the variety and Quality of the Food.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Yaroslavl, Russia
Reviewed 7 July 2013

i liked this hotel very much. internet was free, room was very clean and white, food was good too. im surprised this hotel is just 4 stars ., for such money i would give it 5 stars, location was great too. i would b back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lexa l
phadjisotiriou, Owner at Asterias Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
I am very grateful for your generous praise in your review of your recent stay in our hotel.
I am delighted you liked the Asterias Beach Hotel and in particular the free everywhere WiFi, your bright and spacious room, the tasty food and the idyllic setting.
I would be honoured to welcome you back soon.
Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

The hotel has a perfect location. Right on the beach, if you like the sea. A lovely pool if you do not.
The facilities are excellent with everything a 4★hotel should have.
Yes the hotel is very popular with Germans and Russians and we British were only but a few. In my mind that's a good thing.
The restaurant provides a varied menu every evening and the food is of top quality.
Gents, if you wish to eat inside for dinner you will need to wear long trousers and shoes. If on the other hand you like it alfresco then the new out door restaurant has a more relaxed feel where you can wear long shorts and flip flops/sandals.
I had my 50th birthday here and they went out of their way to make it special. The cake they made was wonderful and a total surprise.
The bus ride to Ayia Napa is only €1pp and a great service. You can also haggle with the taxi drivers. Anywhere between €4 & €6 is quite possible.
The location of the hotel also means you can walk to the Water Park.
It took us 15 minutes with a toddler and pushchair. In fact we went twice.
This hotel is a little unusual as it caters well for both families and couples.
The staff are from all around the globe, so finding someone who speaks your language of choice is not hard. English is the common language that bonds them all together.
The animation team are the best. They work so hard and are always with a smile on their faces. Viada and Antonia need special mention for their attention given to our grand daughter. Thank you.
The rooms are kept exceptionally clean though the smell from our Bath/sink drain was sometimes over powering.
It would also have been nice to have a tea making facilities in your room, maybe that's just a British thing.
We had a late arrival at the hotel 11pm and yet there was food all nicely wrapped waiting for us in our rooms. What a lovely gesture.
A superb hotel that we would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Yorkshireman2020
phadjisotiriou, Owner at Asterias Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
I very much appreciate you having taken the time to write your review following your recent stay at the Asterias Beach.
I am delighted you felt right at home with such a cosmopolitan clientele. We would love to have more Brits come to stay. Hopefully reading your review will do the trick!
Sounds like you liked most things. It's a shame, though, you didn't tell reception of the unpleasant odour in your room. It's probably something simple that either Kyriakos senior or Kyriakos junior (our two resident plumbers) could have sorted out straight away and with pleasure for you.
Hoping to be able to welcome you back soon.
Essex
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Trip advisor reviews were practically spot on.This is definately a good 4 star hotel and the staff were excellent.Room and factlities as per 4 star and location lovely.Beach/bay perfect ,with a nice breeze.
Because we visited 1st week April ,the complex was quiet and it was tough to keep our 9 year old occupied.The kids club was a little varied and not on that much...but again the staff did what they could.
We were the only british family until the last 2 days...which was tough as most (not all) the German & Russions were a little arrogant or kept themselves to themselves.
Food was varied and resturant serive great.
Location is probably the only downside.Its 20 minutes walk to the local resturants/shops and 45 minutes(take a taxi for €15) into town....so not much to look/walk to in the evenings.
I will mention the staff agin...all very good!
There was a liitle building work going on around the pool area for a new bar...which was alittle noisy sometimes.no issue getting a sunbed...although apprently this changes in high season.Not sure if really a British clientel...you need to check other reviews.Nearby other hotels were more british.Gym was average/poor (equipement weird)...but you can have a work out

Room Tip: trousers/jeans needed for dinner.We had garden view room on third floor...nice and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank fisherkingEssex
phadjisotiriou, Owner at Asterias Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Sincerely grateful for taking the time to express your satisfaction with your recent stay with us.
The Asterias is a resort hotel around 3 miles from the centre of Ayia Napa. This affords our guests the choice of the peace and tranquillity on offer outside the bustling resort of Ayia Napa while still only a €1 bus ride into the centre. The bus service is frequent and excellent value.
Within a 10 minute walk of the Asterias there are a number of bars, restaurants and shops but not the wide choice offered in the resort centre.
I am relieved to announce that the final touches to our new pool bar and outdoor restaurant; complete with panoramic views to die for, are practically complete. Let me know how you rate them.
We are all very British-friendly, here at the Asterias and sincerely hope to be able to welcome you back soon.