“Awesome Hotel!”

Asterias Beach Hotel
Ranked #14 of 102 Hotels in Ayia Napa
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We have just returned from this beautiful hotel having stayed 3 nights. The rooms were spotless and the beach is picture perfect. The staff are super friendly and always helpful. The food quality was excellent and we will definitely come back. Do not hesitate to stay here especially with young kids. We have 2 aged 7 and 5. Will definitely recommend to our south African friends.Thanks Asteria our holiday was truly unforgettable. See you in 2014!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 August 2013

The best hotel in Cyprus! Excellent beach. A pleasant atmosphere. Very clean and beautiful hotel. Delicious breakfasts. Themed dinners. I would particularly like to thank Andri Spetsioty. Weru kind woman.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed at ASTERIAS a week with his wife and children (small) and we had a great time here: the structure is really magnificent (in a beautiful garden and a fantastic pool) and well-kept, with spacious, relaxing, very nice and exemplary cleaned rooms . The hotel is located directly on a beach of fine white sand in front of a wonderful sea, crystalline (by us in the most 'beautiful in all of Cyprus). All services are impeccable, with large and superb breakfasts and lunches / dinners where you find great variety'and high quality. The staff is friendly and fluently speaking English. Highly recommended, especially for families with children. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank gio1962car
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

I came to the hotel last year also and i had fantastic time with my gf. This year we wanted to come again to Asterias rather than choose something different. Eveything was nice. The staff is very polite, the rooms are renovated, beach is great and the food is amazing. In the night they have entertainment shows so you have something to do if you choose not to go out. Generally the hotel offers an overall experience a full package of things to do during your stay. We are very happy. Hope to be able to come again next year for a few days.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I stayed at Asterias Hotel in July 2013 and had very unpleasant experience there. My credit card was charged twice. So when I found out this double charge I called to the hotel and asked them to return the money. At first they asked me to call back later, then finally after couple of disconnected calls they connected me with the reception's manager, she promised to call me back next day. Nobody called me back I had to call back myself and they refused to make a return and told me that they only got one payment. Thank's god that I have Visa credit card, I called visa and they returned my money and began the investigation and they told me that the hotel charged my card twice and they tried to hide their mistake. But please don't stay in this hotel. As you can see customer service is terrible, and that's definitely not a 4 star hotel.
I recommend you to stay at Napa's Mermaid where I stayed before and did not have any problems.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tatiana N
phadjisotiriou, Owner at Asterias Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Dearest Tatiana N.,
Thank you for your understanding for the short delay before posting my response to your two complaints:
That your credit card has been charged twice for the settlement of your accommodation bill and that your complaint for alleged double charging did not get resolved sufficiently urgently.

I think it’s helpful to explain the system of “preauthorised” and eventually “authorised” payments (as applied to credit card payments for accommodation charges).

To confirm a reservation at a hotel the supplied credit card details are forwarded to the hotel’s acquirer to effectively instruct the credit card issuer to debit the account with (and hold) the funds equal to the proposed payment (preauthorised payment). The credit card issuer is tasked to hold the proposed payment until the same actual credit card is presented and inserted into the merchant acquirer’s terminal to complete the transaction and authorise the release of the payment to the merchant (authorised payment). In other words the account is debited with the payment which is kept by the issuer until the payment is authorised (by presenting the same card) which then gets released to the merchant.

Because your complaint is about credit card payments to us, I contacted our payments acquirer, JCC, and requested their involvement which they offered. JCC kindly provided copies of their records of your credit card payments to us. These records confirm that only a SINGLE payment of € 760.00 was authorised and released to us.

You had a confirmed reservation and your issuer, Chase, made a preauthorised debit on your credit card for your payment. On presentation of your credit card this preauthorised debit should have been converted to an authorised payment and funds released to us. Your issuer, on presentation of your card, correctly made an authorised debit but omitted to relate it to the preauthorisation debit showing on your account. Your account will have been showing 2 payments but only the second reached us. The first was held by your issuer.

I hold copies of documents that prove the Asterias Beach Hotel received just a single authorised payment of €760.00 on the 18th July 2013 charged to your VISA. I repeat, any other charge to your VISA never reached us and should have been returned by Chase who, as I understand it, was the party at fault in all this. Chase’s error in the duplicate debit is indicated by the matter getting cleared up very quickly after you spoke to them.

I entirely refute and resent your accusation that this hotel allegedly double charged you, that staff allegedly tried to hide the double charge and I invite you to retract your accusation!

With regards to the second part of your complaint I am sure that, you and readers of the above will appreciate that some time was needed to be spent contacting our acquirer, JCC, and to trace records of payments etc. while many staff members were away from their desks during the local holiday season. I understand how you must have been anxious and I am sorry that you were unduly stressed but please understand that Andri needed to get through to people in JCC and get some answers for you; before contacting you.

Finally and further to my earlier comments regarding Chase’s role in your complaint, I would like to invite you to reconsider the derisory marks you awarded in your review of this hotel.

I am perfectly willing to take the blame, learn from my mistakes and apologise for our faults; but not for those of some huge corporation like Chase Bank.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

The hotel is located approximately 2-3k from Ayia Napa's center. The beach is fantastic; clean and not over crowded with beds. Even if your staying at the hotel, the beds on the beach must be paid for. 2.50 Euro for a bed and 2.50 euro for umbrella. Its worth the price. The hotel has plenty of beds poolside at no cost of course if the pool is your thing. The pool is clean and very nice. The rooms were comfortable, A/C was the best we've experienced in Cyprus. Beds were good. We'd stay here again. One tip: The Frappe at the pool bar is very over priced at 4.25 Euro. It's just nescafe for heaven sake. Walk 150-200 meters back to the main street out front of the hotel and you can get a great Frappe from the Sandwich stand on the corner for 2 Euro.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DanOwe
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Our 12th year back to the same hotel and another wonderful holiday! The hotel improvements were even better this year and the food was the BEST we've ever known. The choice and quality that was available this year was superb. Freshly cooked dishes, foods replenished immediately....no waiting around, fresh new dishes, just wonderful. As always, the staff have become our family and made us as welcome as they have since our first year. Nothing is ever too much trouble. The further refurbishments that we witnessed are fantastic. The bedrooms are now light, bright and modern. As are the rest of the public areas of the hotel and yet they have managed to retain the values and family ethos of the hotel, which has kept us returning year after year. This year we had one night in one of the Junior Suites, which was just second to none!! With two 16 year olds, the suite was fantastic and we will be booking that on all future visits. Well worth upgrading if you can. We had a double bed, accompanied by beautiful quality furniture, a lounge area with sofa, two flat screen TV's, coffee table and the best bit.....our own private jacuzzi, with sun loungers and sunbathing area (which is beautifully lit at night) all to ourselves with views across the beautiful garden & beach. It was just superb. Also in this particular suite (still with plenty of space) we had a set of bunk beds and even though our children are 16....they had the best nights sleep ever! Definitely, definitely recommend the suites....perfect for families or couples. This year we also paid a little extra to stay in the hotel and celebrate our wedding anniversary, which was just so romantic. We were able to choose what we wanted to eat, the amount of courses, what we wanted to drink and it was all set up separately from the main restaurant (overlooking the beach) with a rose petal table, candles, a big cream umbrella, our own waiter and we sat there all evening just listening to the sound of the sea, so romantic and so wonderful! Christos (restaurant manager) was absolutely fantastic and his attention to detail was second to none. Cannot believe it went so fast again, could have stayed another 17 days. Thank you again to everyone, just a wonderful/special time!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family