“Good Holiday spoiled by little things.”

Tasia Maris Beach Hotel
Ranked #27 of 102 Hotels in Ayia Napa
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We visited this hotel on the recommendation of our companions who had stayed here before. The hotel is great, with a lovely pool, terrific beach only two minutes walk away, very good food and really friendly and helpfully staff and overall we had a great holiday. Why though has "All inclusive" become less and less inclusive over the years.
We were advised not to drink the tap water but buy bottled from the nearby supermarket. Bad enough that it was not provided for free as normal, but when we went to put the water in the fridge we found we had to pay E35.00 to get the fridge working on top of another E35 for the safe. The "All Inclusive" drinks stopped at 11.30 and the ladies afternoon ice-cream was extra as well.
Marina in the pool bar is a diamond.
I believe that this hotel is to be upgraded to "Platinum" next year and will 60% Russian occupancy. Draw your own conclusions.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Timothy R

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was our 3rd year running that we had stayed at the Tasia Maris. The hotel staff were, as always fantastic. The food standards at dinner had slipped a bit, but still better than most. No complaints at all about the Tasia staff.......wish we could say the same about the Thomson reps/ entertainment team.......I say entertainment loosely!
On our previous 2 visits, the entertainment girls Sarah & Sam were brilliant, always fun & encouraging involvement, without being pushy. This year they have a young Geordie girl called Lauren, who seemed to be on a different planet most of the time, although it was entertaining listening to her trying to read her sheets..............sorry that should have been embarrassing, as she could hardly read or understand what she was reading out! During the 'pool games' she showed no interest in joining in & seemed to be in a world of her own. The male rep (Barry) was only slightly better, and couldn't stop gushing over any male 'entertainer' that appeared on the evening 'entertainment' .. if that's what you could call it.
All in all its a big well done once again to the Tasia Maris, but a big 'could do better' to Thomson holidays......Gold entertainment it certainly isn't!!!

Room Tip: The newest rooms are inland view overlooking the main road, The sea view rooms are older, but have a...
5  Thank Paul C
Reviewed 15 July 2014

have been to many gold hotels over past 15 years never had to complain about any thing but the tasia maris was not a gold standard if you have never been to a Thomson gold before you will have nothing to compare it with we went to this hotel june 14th my husband had food poisoning thee people finished up in hospital for one lady it was the second time in this hotel and second time in hospital with food poisoning they said they would never go to this hotel again. it was my birthday when I was on holiday I had cards from my family and a very special card from my grandson after being out of our room all day we went back about 5.30 to find my grandsons card was missing I reported this to the reception strait away they sent the house keeper up she looked round and pulled furniture out which we had already done the house keeper said she would ask the maid about it the next day I asked her she said she had not seen her I asked reception again to find out what had happened to my grand sons card . I later was told by the receptionist that the maid said she did not see it so were did it go a very large hand made card from my four year old grandson the reception or Thomson reps did not investigate the matter further so if you go to this hotel do not leave items lying around the card was very important to me as any mother or grandmother will tell you it spoilt my birthday we will still go to other gold hotels but will never do to this one again we always read the reviews of the hotels before we book we should have taken into account the bad ones you will read a review about a sandwich that was green this is true we were there at the same time as these people we agree with all they say please stay away from this hotel go to any gold hotel but this one john and lynn hirst from leeds

Room Tip: don't choose any room don't go there
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank lynn h
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I visited Tasia Maris at the end of June 2014 for 2 weeks with my Step mother and sister and we shared a room. Let me say at the outset that we had a lovely holiday and we warmed to this small hotel in the idyllic location of Sandy Bay that was just a step away from a beautiful cove that boasted many facilities including an unusual ramp for wheelchair users to access the ocean.
I have visited many Gold hotels by Thomson however and this one didn’t quite hit the mark for me. A fundamental requirement of a hotel is to provide a comfortable bed, yet when 3 people share here, bearing in mind this is a solely adult hotel, and each person pays the same with no reduction for sharing, one bed is a camp bed. This particular camp bed had a wooden slatted base with a spongy mattress and was dwarfed by heavy wooden furniture stopping the user from getting up safely. A word at reception got an extra (spongy) mattress and the heavy furniture moved but we were told categorically that the camp bed would not be changed. This is totally different to the Gold hotel where we shared a room in Falesia, Portugal last year when, although Thomson stated a camp bed would be the third bed, a full sized single with comfortable mattress was provided automatically. With 2 of us over 60 and an 84 year old this definitely coloured our view of the helpfulness of the hotel.
We had paid in advance for a sea view (stunning view of entire beach, sea and gardens of hotel) which meant we didn’t have one of the larger refurbished rooms that faced the main road. These were beautiful, newly decorated in white modern style, people we met staying in them had chosen them after being in the sea view rooms on previous visits. They were quiet while sea view rooms had music from the poolside stage until midnight every night.
The restaurant was small with a café chic appearance. Food was good, we ate all we wanted and enjoyed it all though because of the size of the dining room the variety on offer was limited. It was very bright inside so we preferred to eat outside. We usually ate around 8.30 and the restaurant closed at 9.30. Staff started removing flowers and candles off the tables at 9pm when we were still eating which we felt rushed us eating. There was little or no ambience in the restaurant. One or two waiters were welcoming, notably Soniris and Metodi but I would struggle to name any more that smiled or made effort at pleasantries. We would have liked to have had bananas on the breakfast menu as we had to buy ours locally for every morning. Also we thought breakfast should be a quiet time and not have loud music. It wasn’t easy to talk at any meal time due to the loud music.
Reception was very efficient regardless of who was on duty, staff were always happy and called good morning or waved whenever we passed. Check in was the quickest I have ever experienced. Dave was on the night we arrived, a British man who always took time to chat.
The pool area was lovely and a very helpful metal bar to help people who may have difficulty walk gradually into the shallow end was great for my step mum. Lots of loungers were available and no problem getting any. The pool bar hosted by the ever smiling, chatty and helpful Marina and her assistants was an oasis of calm and efficiency and, let it be said, fantastic cocktails !. The seating was great for those who wanted to have a drink sitting in the pool too.
The Thomson entertainment team worked so hard. They were each and every one of them communicative, open, fun and sociable, absolutely brilliant. I have to single out Karen the local interest rep. I asked her some questions about family hotels and she took me on a tour of the hotel next door, even into rooms and introduced me to staff. Really over and above any expectations I had. One of the team took a session in aqua Tai Chi which was amazing. I was totally hooked. My sis tried the free Scuba diving trial and that was something she had always wanted to do. Panache the resident entertainment duo are so talented. They should be the headliners around the hotels in Cyprus. Such an extensive songbook, different styles of music. Everything they sang was wonderful and to top that they looked so attractive on stage. Outstanding duo.
The other evening entertainment programme was ok. Monday and Friday were the best nights as they were the ‘first’ nights for most new guests. We saw two fab comics and Dueto a classical group who were really talented. A Shirley Bassey tribute act also appeared. The Thomson touring entertainment team put on mini musicals and shows and they were ok but after we saw one or two we preferred to go across the road to Florence bar for a change and have a cocktail for 2.50 euro. There was one game of bingo each night and lots of quizzes throughout the day and night. Plenty to keep guests occupied.
In the area we went on three boat trips from Ayia Napa harbour. All three were great but bear in mind the sunset cruise advertised by Famagusta Napa boats (on Facebook) has ear-blasting club music for the entire 2.5 hour journey. The best trip for me was by the Big Red Bus (Dave and Ian, ex Royal Navy British guys, check out their website) , they offer two trips, Villages and Famagusta, we went to Famagusta via the British military base into occupied North Cyprus. We had about 2 hours within the walled town of Famagusta, so steeped in history and character with delightful shops and restaurants. Then the Big Red Bus took us to Palm Beach, a small area permitted for bathing dwarfed by the towering sky rise buildings in the area known as Varoshia, the ghost resort. Clear sea, possibility of spotting turtles, a unique and thrilling trip.
The coast area offered a crazy paving walk either in the direction of Ayia Napa or opposite toward Nissi Beach. We did both early as it was very hot. We loved the House on the Beach restaurant with Dimitri the fantastic and funny waiter and amazing jacket potatoes, moussaka etc. Skip the sangria though it didn’t seem very tasty. We also had some delicious pizzas to share at the magic Sandy Bay Café with its very friendly staff.
Would I go back? Yes, mainly because of its wonderful location and having so much to do there, but would choose a road facing room and seriously negotiate for a proper single third bed if it was required.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms had noise from outside stage until midnight. Road view rooms were refurbished to a hi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Pywacket1
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Booked via thomson the week before in their recommendation. Room good, hotel good, pool good, food good, beer good,young families with screaming kids great.
Highly recommend this resort. The beach is lovely and the sea clear and warm. So far so good.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pete M
Reviewed 14 July 2014

First impressions, nice hotel and pleasant receptionist (Magda her name was if I recall correctly). We had the luxury of a refurbished room which was really clean and a pleasure to stay in. I'd just like to say that the room completely saves this review and was the biggest positive of the whole stay. We also didn't hear any noise during our stay from neighbours and the beds are comfortable enough. Only complaint about the room was that the hairdryer didn't work which I found was odd given that the room had only been refurbished recently, although this was minor. Besides that the bathrooms are modern and have walk in showers which I was impressed by. The maids are very friendly and work hard. Free WiFi is available aswell which is convenient.

There is a beach a matter of minutes nearby called Sandy Bay which I found was preferable to Nissi Beach as it was more spacious and had less people on it. In addition to this Nissi beach was also a good 20 minute walk up the road. The pool area is clean and well maintained. The first half of the week it was hard to find a sunbed, however the latter half of the week there was plenty available.

In regards to proximity to the centre of Ayia Napa, it is a good 30 minute walk. The bus is only £1.50 per person which I recommend anyone to do if they plan on visiting the centre regularly. We visited the strip often so whilst if you are coming here for a partying holiday, the location will not hinder that but do bare in mind it is a somewhat long walk back to the hotel. Taxi costs between 8-12 euros.

Food I found was poor. It was buffet style and presentation was average but taste was absymal at times. Some of the foods were particularly salty. Dishes didn't really compliment each other and some were just random, for example chicken liver which nobody had touched. Lunch is the same again; poor and unpleasant.

Drink prices were alright but we wanted to get out of the restaurant as soon as given the awful singing accompanying the meal during dinner times. The waiting staff are alright, we found the younger waiting staff were friendlier than some of the senior members of staff such as George who we found was rude and didn't respect personal space so beware when dealing with.

The breakfast is poor with stale breads and cereals (limited selection of cereal) and greasy food. The only positive was the fruit on offer, however we found ourselves buying milk and cereal from opposite the road at Best Buy in the final couple of days.

Some of the staff I found were friendly. Particularly Dave who was extremely helpful and really friendly; always having time for us. The other receptionists were friendly enough although the red haired lady I found was particularly rude at times, often speaking in an obnoxious tone when dealing with us. When handing in our key she just took the key without even saying goodbye or thanks for staying.

The Thomson reps that work there are extremely friendly; Chevorne and Charlotte if I remember rightly. They were 10/10 throughout from coming out to the coach to welcome us to the hotel and being pleasant and helpful throughout.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday but found the hotel was poor, although there was some positives about it, it was vastly outweighed by the many gripes we had with it and I would not return. Thomson are upgrading this to a platinum but it doesn't make the gold first. We will return to Ayia Napa but not the hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a refurbished room.
5  Thank Niall P
Reviewed 14 July 2014

1st time on holiday to Cyprus and this was the best ever. Location, food, staff, room, entertainment, absolutely everything was excellent. Only got back this morning and looking at booking for next September.

Room Tip: You can book your late check out room when you're there. It's a little cheaper and Thomson t...
2  Thank david c