“Nice place in a not so nice place”

Tasia Maris Gardens Apartments
Ranked #41 of 102 Hotels in Ayia Napa
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We arranged our holiday through First Choice in the UK and arrived at the Tasia Maris Gardens at 3am on the 7th of August 2014. This was our family holiday for 10 nights from the 7th to the 17th of August 2014. We are a family of 4 - Mum, daughter of 9 years, son of 14 years and me (Dad).

First off let me say that we had a good time but we wouldn't go again because the resort of Ayia Napa just isn't us and in addition we tend not to have much in common with the other families that think Ayia Napa is great.

The Tasia Maris Gardens is a sedate little oasis surrounded by the party destination of Ayia Napa. Within the complex it is relaxing and fairly quiet but step outside and you are onto a very busy road with continuous quad bikes, beech buggies and heavy traffic. The boys on the quad bikes are still of an age where they think it is cool to honk their horns at every girl walking along the street so there is a horrendous melody of horns and whistles. I felt sorry for the families that were in roadside accommodation.

Getting across the road to visit the supermarket to buy water was sometimes quite difficult and we were not happy to let the kids go by themselves.

Pool Towels:

Take your own pool towels as unlike other First Choice all inclusive destinations, they are not provided in the resort.

I called the First Choice information line before our holiday to ask if pool towels were provided at the resort as we wanted to save weight and space in our luggage. I spoke to Valencia and the first answer she gave was to advise us to check this once we arrived in the resort? I explained again and she said 'no' and then she corrected herself and said 'yes towels were provided at the pool'. It turned out that they were not? I should have known better than to expect competence but I think the call centre is based outside the UK as we had communication difficulties due to accents. Don't spend the 20 minutes queuing on the line because once you get through it seems like the only information they have access to is the FAQ page of the website or they guess?

Pool towels are €6 each at the supermarket across the road.

At the start of the trip I noted that people were getting up very early to reserve places at the pool. I was out and about taking sunrise photographs at 5am and noticed the towel tactics starting at about 5.10am. Later in the trip and due to complaints the night manager started to collect the towels from the loungers and dump them in a heap at one end of the pool. The rule was set that reservations could not be made until 7am.

The only way to get around this was to sit on the lounger until 7am. Some people actually did this!

Water:

You can’t drink the water from the taps so factor in having to buy bottled water. A 6 litre bottle from the supermarket over the road was €2.50. There were all sizes available but it was more expensive to buy smaller quantities.

Air Conditioning in the rooms:

Air conditioning is included in the package but only in the main bedroom; not in the lounge area / second bedroom. Like most other families staying in this family resort we have a couple of children who must obviously use the second bedroom. In order that they can sleep air con in their room is essential. There is a unit on the wall but it must enabled by the reception staff for a fee.

The air con is either on or off; there is no adjustment on the unit. I found out on the last day that you can request adjustment in reception and they do it remotely? This is obviously not very convenient.

Air conditioning in the children's room - €6 per night

Security:

The complex is far from being secure or completely enclosed so we made sure that we kept an eye on the children and locked the room and windows if we left it unattended.

To the rear of the complex there is a small dump of builders rubble and tree prunings.

There are clear warnings about security in the resort information pack but don't worry because there is a safe in the wardrobe that you can hire for €10 per week.

Take your credit card!

I think that charging extra for what could be described as essentials is ripping people off? Conversation with other families around the pool confirmed that they shared this feeling. Some had paid the ransom and others had chosen not to out of principle

Actually whilst on the subject of credit cards, once all of our all inclusive none inclusive extras had been totted up by Maria in reception and the essential paperwork completed I offered my credit card to pay. She looked at me like I had two heads and then actually told me off for not informing her of my intentions to pay by card before she had made out the cash paperwork? I cheerfully pointed out that I am not a mind reader and told her not to worry, we would remain insecure and the children would have to boil. At this point she aggressively scored through the page and set about completing the card payment portfolio.

Feedback to hotel management - Maria on the reception desk needs an attitude recalibration.

The happy go lucky First Choice representative on site said that he could understand why I felt a bit cheated by the extras on an expensive all inclusive holiday but apparently it mentions these charges on the website - silly me for not noticing it? He further commented that I would feel better about it once I had had a chance to relax?

First Choice rep - useless unless you want to book an excursion.

Swimming pool:

The Swimming pool is great and the children loved it. There is no pool attendant / lifeguard so there were some activities going on that would not normally be allowed such as children climbing on the railings of the wooden bridges to achieve a jump from a greater height.

I pointed out the potential for accidents to my children but of course they asked why other children are allowed to do it whilst they were not.

Meals and bar service:

Pool bar service and pool bar snacks - very good.

Evening meal service and the food from the self service buffet is very good.

Other people:

The language used by some of the kids in the pool was highly offensive.

My daughter went to kids club and enjoyed it. She told us over dinner one evening that one little girl was telling the group about her dad having to break up a scrap at the pool a couple of days ago. Apparently two men had become aggressive over territorial rights? In my mind I was picturing bull walruses facing up to each other and butting chests on a beach.

We don’t think it is acceptable for 14 and 15 year old girls to be buying and using the cheep electronic cigarettes that are available from the shops in the town in the pool (or elsewhere for that matter).

My children were scared by the laddish behavior of the heavily tattooed men in one particular large group of families. They were pushing each other into the pool, having piggy back fights in the pool whilst holding pints of beer, swearing and being generally offensive.

We think that chain smoking by the pool and building a little dump of ash and cigarette ends is not on – ash trays are provided for use.

WiFi:

The wifi only works in the reception area; there is no wifi in the apartments.

I was able to achieve 0.1mbps on my android tablet. It was so bad that I started to pay for a drink in the bar next door just to achieve email and Facebook etc.

Beach:

The beach is a 5 minute walk around the corner.

Sun loungers and umbrellas are available for hire. The beach is sandy but most of the shoreline in the area is sharp volcanic rock.

Room Tip: The upstairs apartments are smaller than the ground level ones. If you are a family of four it would...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank pwegbr

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a two week holiday and have to say, despite some really fantastic days out, the accommodation was a little disappointing.

Pros
- very clean and maid service everyday which was great
- fast restaurant service (food pretty poor though)
- rooms ok - spacious and adequate although very dated

Cons
- despite rave reviews about 'a la carte' menu at lunch times, I was not impressed with the food- I'm not a fussy eater but struggled to find anything that was really enjoyable, tasty etc. Grey coleslaw was my least favourite thing and the omelette...well....I ended up dreading lunch times because I knew there would be nothing I would want.
- although staff were pleasant, there were lots of miserable faces and it was clear that some of the staff really didn't want to be there.
- location was awful - probably an error on our part but Nissi Ave was dirty, noisy and full of partying teenagers.

Most restaurants were second rate but better than the hotel food.

Overall we did have a lovely two weeks but certainly not due to the quality of the accommodation.
I will not be using Tripadvisor again as a tool for finding quality accommodation because I think it does not give you a clear enough indication of who the people are who are rating these holidays.

Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Lo77aine
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband, 8 year old daughter and I arrived home on 11th August after an 11 night stay at this hotel. Dont get me wrong, we had a good holiday, although 1 week would have been long enough for us. The rooms are great, as is the pool, the staff and the food. Two things let this place down and thats the location and the entertainment.

In the brochure, the hotel is said to be situated in Nissi Beach, leaving us to believe that Nissi Beach is a resort in itself. Its not, the hotel is located on Nissi Avenue, Aiya Napa, on a busy road full of motorbikes, buggies and segways, tacky shops and a strip club. We spoke to a few families who took a walk in the evening with children and were approached by people outside strip clubs and the children found it all quite unsettling.

The entertainment is something to be desired. At times, It is almost impossible to have a conversation, as you are either competing with the music (please Chelsea turn it down!!) or the traffic outside. There is no quiet area where you can have a drink, which is a real shame. Get ready for bingo, Mr Magic (I was left speechless) and a parrot show.

On the up side, the kids club is amazing and there isnt a problem with sunbeds.

Its nice enough but compared to other all inclusives that we've paid the same price for, it just doesn't compete.

Room Tip: We asked for a high room in a quiet location. Ended up with 13b, which was quiet but no views.....ap...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Allyson1971
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Recently returned from the tasia Maris gardens,for the second year in a row, everything about this hotel is absolutely fantastic, from the hotel staff to the meals which are absolutely brilliant, my wife is a fussy eater and she liked all of it, rooms are cleaned every day to the very highest level, my 8 year old son couldn't get enough of the fantastic swimming pool which he spent all day in it, Thomas and Chelsea do a superb job of Night time, very close to Sandy bay which is about 5 mins away, nissi beach is about 20mins, the centre of ayia Napa is also about 20mins away,there isn't really much more you can say about this place apart from absolutely superb, we also made some really great friends, from the north east and Doncaster, so good we have booked again for next year,3 years in a row, the simmons family,

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mistycats
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Had a great relaxing holiday from 28th July to 11th August stayed in apartment 9B which was well equipped if you going self catering which seem pointless as we were all inclusive. Apartment clean, towels and bedding changed everyday, choice and quality of food was good if a little repetitive. Staff friendly with special mention to Laskis and his staff in the dining area, kids club with Holly and Rosie who are the no 1 rated Thompson Kids club and judging by all the children's happy faces and the state of the girls(Holly and Rosie) on chocolate party night fun was had by all. Evening entertainment was a bit lame for adults but Chelsea was doing a good job but was restricted by budget constrains by hotel management. Found out towards the end of our holiday we could go to the sister hotel next door Tasia Maris (adults only) and watch the entertainment and pay for our drinks. Close to night life and a great little beach less than 5 mins away at Sandy Bay. Would return to this hotel, great holiday and family hotel. Air conditioning in bedroom free but in living area which doubles up as second bedroom is charged at 6 euros a day, free wifi available at reception with password log in.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower ground apartment around pool
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rl018a5420
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Last here in 2011 with my partner. We loved it then and still do 3yrs later!

As usual check in was easy as was check out. Julia is a great receptionist.

The staff hasn't changed much since we were last there. Lakvis surprised us with a bottle wine and a welcome back card :-)

This time we were with our 9 month old daughter. She absolutely loved it! She couldn't get enough of the pool and loved the kids disco even she's a bit too young to do the dances.

Entertainment wise that is somewhat lacking. It hasn't changed and seriously needs upgrading.

The food has improved though I resisted the urge to over indulge. We didn't eat out as there was no need to and daughter is a messy eater lol!

The room was great with plenty of room for Scarlett to practice toddling. The bedroom a/c is adequate for the lounge if the door is left open.

All in all we enjoyed our stay 2nd time round. The entertainment really does need updating and the wifi needs to be accessible everywhere besides reception.

We plan on coming here again on 2016.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank V330KCK
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in October 13, the weather was fantastic which really made the holiday for us, as although he complex was lovely, it didn't really have a lot of things to do on site if the weather was poor. The staff were all polite and helpful, and the food was fine, not a vast choice at breakfast, but as we were literally one of the last groups to leave the hotel at the end of the season, I put it down to that. Lunch is a choice from a set menu, lots to choose from and all large meals, dinner is the usual Buffett affair. Personally I would of rather had a buffet lunch, so I could have a light snack, I found the set meals were too much for a lunch time, I would rather had a good set meal in the evenings when I had finished swimming etc. This is not a criticism by any means, just my personal opinion. We visited the nearby beach called Sandy bay, it was beautiful, and literally a 3 minute walk through a gap in the villas, nobody trying to sell us anything - bliss :). I would visit this hotel again.

Stayed: October 2013