“clean hotel, crap food, awfull location”

Aparthotel Horizonte Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fustes
Bristol, United Kingdom
“clean hotel, crap food, awfull location”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

i stayed at this hotel in dec 2011 as a late booking for my mother as my father had died in the september, and me and my partner wanted to give her some sunshine. the weather was fantastic. we booked all inclusive, what a mistake!! the food was awfull, why do hotels presume because we are brits we only eat half cold chips?? we go away 4-5 times a year, and went to aloe club corralejo in sept, which is 3* (read my previous review) so we are not snobs, or cheap skates that expect 5* for 3* prices, but i do expect a all inclusive to give value for money. i asked the chef why the food was cold and not nice and recieved a shrug of the shoulders and a laugh grrrrrr.
we also had a problem the first day with the drinks, as my mother who cant walk, had sat at a table whilst i went to get a drink with my partner, only to be told we could only have 2 drinks and my mother needed to get her own as they only give one glass per person, but i must stress that after seeing the nice bloke at reception this was resolved for the duration of our stay, but it could happen again if you booked...
the reception staff were great and helpfull, the hotel was very clean, and although our room wasnt cleaned for 2 days, when mentioned it was dealt with and a bowl of fruit left complimentary.
the location is not ideal, bit rough, and we were warned not to walk in the area at night by some english locals we spoke to during our stay, however with a elderly mother who cant walk we caught taxis into town everyday anyway, but if you have kids beware.
so in summery....clean hotel, nice pool,great reception staff, food yuck, so if i did have to go back i would go self catering....

Room Tip: all rooms overlook the pool
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andynoel

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Braunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We arrived here on the 4th January found a very basic but perfectly acceptable room. The layout of the hotel was great. Ok so the food wasn't fantastic but bacon,eggs toast and croissants were available every morning. lunch and dinner were pretty basic but like a lot of people have said what do you expect for the price. The staff were always polite and friendly and were always happy to help in anyway they could. Andreas was happy to keep us entertained as long as he won 50% of the games. Go with an open mind and be prepared for basic. We would like to say a massive thanks to everyone we met as they made our holiday so much fun there's to many to mention on here but you all know who you are and we'd love to hear from you
Cheryl, David and Amelia

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank cherrieb_2004
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2012

To put it in a nut shell you simply get what you pay for.. If you have paid more than £300 for all inclusive then id look at alternative hotels as it wouldnt be worth paying more than this.. As i say we paid £240 for a week all inc, this includes flights so when we worked it out we only paid aprox 80 each to stay in this hotel which is a bargain for all inclusive.
The food is very basic breakfast being the best meal, we had a vegeterian with us an she could usually find something to eat even if it was just a chip butty lol.. The burgers from the pool bar though were lovelly :)..
They did run out of drink but there were always an alternative to drink, and it was usually re-filled the next day with what had run out..
The staff were all pleasant, the cleaners could do with doing abit more as the place wasnt gleaming.. Andreas did his best, killer pool, darts. He tried to get everyone involved although sometimes he was late if the sun wasnt out lol..
If you have paid over the odds then your not going to be happy but for what we paid we had a lovelly break from our cold winter :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Leah R
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I stayed at the above complex week commencing on 8th January 2012 and can honestly say it was the longest week of my life.

I had to change rooms 3 times as the first one smelt like the sewers (137),
the second room (138) at first seemed to be ok but after sleeping in it for
one night it also smelt and the toilet rocked so badly it come away from
the floor. Room 245 however was a little better although the general
cleanliness left a lot to be desired. Inside the cupboards where dirty,
under beds where dusty, the bath was badly rust stained, the shower holder
was broken so the shower head had to be balanced to enable a shower to be
taken and the room had never seen a mop and bucket to wash the floor.

I had to ask for the towels to be changed and the bed linen was not changed
at all in the week we stayed.

The food looked like slop and was not at all appetizing, it did not look
fit enough for human consumption. Chicken nuggets for breakfast and then re
heated for lunch. Having complained several times to Fernando Rubio he did
try to improve things but to no avail. My husband and I eat out every day
and therefore incurred extra costs at which we where not expecting.

Staff ion the hotel where not rude but also not welcoming it was as if it
was to much trouble to do anything for us. Their favourite saying was
tomorrow, so much so it become a standing joke amongst the guests in the
hotel. The bar often ran out of drinks i.e. red wine and when I asked a
waiter to get some he told me tomorrow. The red wine was on draught in the
restaurant so why could he not go and get some?

The entertainment operative was off the complex more than on it and only
really showed any interest when he was competing in the games himself. This
is not a child friendly hotel and thankfully did not take my 7 year old son
here.

In the week I stayed here I did not once see the floors being washed or the
lounge area being dusted/polished.

There where no telephones within the complex to allow me to telephone my
young son and this caused great distress to myself at not being able to
speak to him. and not one of the management team was aware that there was a
free bus to take guests into town. In fact Fernando asked me if I found out
any information regarding this would I please let him know. I did and
passed on a time schedule for the bus.

We did however meet some fantastic people there, Tina, Steve and Babs and Chris ( who where not from our hotel) They where the people who made this holiday bearable. A big thanks to you.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank fuschia08

Travellers are raving about these Fustes hotels

Glasgow
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Arrived 6th Jan, staff always friendly and helpful, rooms are basic and a bit out of date -our shower was fine but others did complain.Bed was fine and towels sheets etc changed regularly. Food was what we expected for what we paid ,having been on more expensive holidays I thought this hotel was good value for money. Breakfast was good, lunch and dinner average, but considering the budget this hotel is on they done pretty well as far as we are concerned, some people paid only £240 - what do you really want for that ?? I can only say we had a pleasant stay, Sall,Andreas,Oscar,Omar and all reception staff,cleaners were all really nice. If you are over fussy about almost everything and dont want to spend any money do not go to all inc to a 3 star hotel. Thanks to all the staff and to the lovely people we met ... Carol and John Merrigan Glasgow .

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CarolMGlasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2012

The staff were all pleasant and helpful , but the beds were like sleeping on the rocks where the chipmunks slept , the FOOD was worse than AWFUL, school meals and hospital meals are al a carte compared to this the veal from monday night was added to the spaghetti on tues night for another dish { are we stupid that we would not notice this } NO DONT THINK SO. we go on holiday about 4 times a year and have never experienced anything like this , we were not the only people with these comments , I thought all inclusive meant food 3 times a day , they said bar food between 12.30 and 2pm , still waiting to see this, although you got a burger or hot dog at 4 oclock , if you ask for more than 1 , the looks you get is of disgust was enough to put you off , we ate out and we recommend tony romas , { Different Class}, will think twice before booking another holiday and will make sure to do more research as I thought i had , the reviews i read before I went , were all good and positive , dont know who they paid to write them but hope they got paid well .

Room Tip: balcony above
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine Y
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Well all i can say is for £300 a head all in for a week what are you expectation i know i cant go to blackpool for the weekend without spending that

So lets get down too it
ROOMS
looking there age my shower was adequate but some said theirs ran cold
TV
was ok 2 news channels rest were foriegn as usual.
POOL
well the water was freezing only the brave and drunk dare enter but it made the sun most welcome.
DRINKS
well like most places you go they just dont want you to drink too much of their free alcohol so they came up with an ingenious way of doing this just giving you small plastic cups but remember you can go and top them up as much as you want lol.
FOOD
BREAKFAST
you couldn't want for more probably the best meal of the day every day without fail
LUNCH
seamed ok we only ate this 3 times as we were usualy out at this time
BAR MEALS
normaly served about 1600 this seamed to be very good as for them that couldn't eat lunch always ate the burgers and sausage
DINNER
this seamed adequate to me but if you didn't like the choices on offer just ask sall and he would gladly bring you some ham and cheese to put with the salad

STAFF

SALL

well all i can say is he tried his best to please everyone always had a smile on his face and never seamed to stop working

ANDREAS

very pleasent around all afternoon and was often seen taking his pint of ice and coke back to his room around midnight where he got the pint mug from was a closely guarded secret

FERNANDO

when not sorting out the days problems always had a smile

ANNA

reception was her home a nice pleasent woman again always seen with a smile

OSCAR

barman again with he simes as he handed you your tiny cups

BEDDING AND TOWELS
sheets where changed twice during are stay and the towels 3 times no complaits there

CHIPMONK PATH
the stroll down to the main town takes take about 40 mins unless you take your mother inlaw then this can take as long as 2 hours feeding her beloved CHIPMONKS and DOVES but its a pleasent walk who's in a rush

In all had a pleasent stay i went there for the sun and that was mission achieved

Pete & Sam

Room Tip: Take nuts for the walk down the chipmonks dont bite Ask Sall for anything he will do is best
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank peter g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fustes
Barcelo Fuerteventura Thalasso Spa
La Piramide
La Piramide
#2 of 4 in Costa de Antigua
Pierre & Vacances Village Club Fuerteventura Origo Mare

Been to Aparthotel Horizonte Bay? Share your experiences!