“Dyving”

Ranked #4 of 10 Roses B&B and Inns
Haelen, Limburg, Netherlands
“Dyving”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Is a verry good diving place, wiht a prof. and friendly diving team, perfect boot. Good food, enough wine. Perfect clean rooms for divers. The hotel has a lift and, swimming pool and a lovely garden where jou can relaxed ather diving.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
dorset, uk
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I should have believed my instincts but was enticed by some of the better reviews. I love nature and quiet and beauty and with that in mind I booked this as the final stop on my honeymoon with some trepidation because of the reviews before. It wasn't cheap...I didn't get a bargain..I asked for a nice room and explained my gluten free dietary needs...and then I kept my fingers crossed. Firstly we got lost and didn't find the correct road out of roses..when we arrived it was early evening..no real welcome..ok..the room was fine..clean and small..very hot. No sea view as promised..a large balcony but with high walls..only view of the sea if standing against the wall..other wise felt like a prison in the room and on the balcony. Bathroom clean..no amenities, no hot water and not a lot of water at all from the shower. Ok..swallow..it must get better. Supper..half board..no choice, lots of staff taking the order but no food appearing. The staff are absolutely overworked and look bothered every time you ask them a question. My gluten free diet was catered for at supper but not at breakfast...I am used to this and had bread along..but no fresh fruit and very poor coffee and juice and little else for me..Lunch..absolutely awful service at the beach bar. They were really busy, but made us feel unwelcome. It took half an hour to get a drink and longer for food. As this is the only place to go..that's hard. I felt so sorry for the staff who were tired, hot and fed up. The location would be gorgeous in a quiet time of the year, but in the summer at a weekend the bay fills up with boats and yachts and families and is like hell...no peace and quiet. We walked to the nearest alternative...about 45 minutes on very steep hills in the boiling heat...that was a fully quiet bay. This is fine if you are young and healthy...but of course you cannot even take a picnic as there are no shops to buy food from as the hotel is so 'isolated'.
I knew this was how it might be, but not how enclosed the bay feels when crowded out by all the other visitors. Quite awful really.
The evening entertainment was fun and it was blissfully quiet at night. Waking early, doing yoga on the balcony and then going for a hike up the hill on the last day was blissfull...as it wad the last day and we could escape to find a much nicer location in nearby LLanca. We got more quiet from this busy town than from the supposedly quiet Cala Joncals. Thank goodness they let us escape after only 2 of our 4 nights.
In summary, think long and hard. It is pretty and may be very good for families. If you are a fussy eater like me, Don't do half board..do a la carte with choices. Don't expect a good deal unless you got a very good price. Do expect to feel like a backpacker but in a bedroom. Don't expect peace and quiet in high season. The family running the place get repeat bookings year after year so this place does appeal to some people. they care for the garden and do produce good home cooking..We won't be returning but I am glad I could understand why the reviews either love or hate the place.

Room Tip: The one suite may be ok or a room in the main block facing the sea
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ginnydorset

Travellers are raving about these Roses hotels

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2011

Cala Joncols..Our escape haven!!!

It is fair to say that Cala Joncols certainly isnt a place for people who like the 'all inclusive' package holidays, instead, it is for people who want to be cut off from the real world and be surrounded by beautiful scenery, charming people and enjoy stunning dives.

Yes, there are no tv's in the rooms and no kettles to make tea in the morning..instead, you have a clean, comfortable and simply decorted room. I have to say, that this is half of the appeal for me. My partner and I always fall in love with each other again and actually TALK to each other and laugh together instead of being distracted by internet, tv and x box lol...

Yes, there is only one choice of food if you are staying all inclusive however..one thing you can be certain of is you will not be served chips or sausages, instead, you will be served fresh fish....at this point it is only fair to mention the farther or the establishments AMAZING piella...my god..you have not tried piella until you have tried his piella!

The dive school that is attached to the hotel is run by a lovely lovely couple who couldnt do more to assist you..nor could their instructors and dm's.

We took our kids to Joncols for the first time last year and in the kids words..they had an 'ace' holiday! Not once were thery bored. We took them snorkelling, kayaking, swimming, walking and spent alot of time around a table playing cards with them. It was a really nice holiday where the kids were allowed to explor and enjoy the type of childhood I was so lucky to have when I grew up..we wouldnt think twice about taking them back!

I have to say that I am disappointed that people have given bad reviews on this hotel. Myself and my partner are both divers and have stayed at Cala joncols for the past four years and we will return year on year and would certainly encourage our friends to discover this little haven!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Kezbowbow83
kilkenny
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Somewhat the same as other reports ......dinner dreadful....soup, a little fish with bread and a pear (1) for desert @€62.50 for half board is not acceptable Breakfast was a little better if you come down early. This was like a poor standard hostel.
The staff of the hotel and the diving school were most helpful and friendly.
As other reports there were no soaps or shampoo in the bedrooms and when I asked for some I was told that I would have to wait until the maid came in at 1900hrs. When nothing happened by 1930 I came down again to reception and she was able to put her hands on some immediatly. I got the impression that this receptionist was not there to help the guests.
The setting is beautiful but for lots of reasons would not or could not recommend a stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank catkilkenny
Flaux, France
Reviewed 16 October 2010

We arrived in this beautiful bay after a long, slow journey along the dirt track that takes you there. We were trying to get from Roses to Cadaques (apparently impossible) when we stumbled on the spot.

Staying just inside France, we didn't fancy the drive back and the bay was enchanting, so we popped in to the hotel to enquire about rates. The garden was stunning too, an olive grove with an inviting pool in the middle and tables out for the bar on a large terrace. The restaurant was on the next floor, with a large open terrace and sea views while you eat. Lovely!

Rates-wise, it was a little steep, but we thought we'd treat ourselves. We agreed to stay without checking the room. Mistake!

When we went upstairs to check the room we were gutted. Three single beds, all different heights, the cheapest the management could get hold of, surely. Our 'sea view' terrace was on the side of the building, so we had to peer over the end wall, over our neighbours' (genuine) sea view terrace to see the sea.

The bathroom was awful. It should have been renovated 30 years ago, and that's being kind. We had not intended to stay the night, but we weren't worried, thinking the hotel would provide the necessary, but no. There wasn't even a hand soap! We had to go and ask at reception for soap and shampoo. Then my wife had a bath, I went to have one straight after and there was no more hot water. You can imagine my mood.

This little spot in paradise was rapidly turning in to a Fawlty Towers-esque experience.

Disappointed, mainly angry at the price we paid for a truly poor room, but determined not to spoil our evening, we went down to the restaurant. Here it got worse. There was no menu - everything was fixed price and no choice whatsoever. You simply had to eat what you were given, vegetarians would be hungry. In fairness, the restaurant staff were very friendly and the food was OK, even good, but hardly the nice restaurant you hoped you'd eat in while watching the moon over the bay!

After that we went to the bar for a few drinks, which was actually nice, and then retired to bed. We slept well enough, though cuddling up was impossible thanks to the hotch-potch of beds the management had slung together. Next morning we paid and left.

In summary, this is a zero star hotel which does enough to pretend it's some kind of five star luxury spa to draw in the gullible and unwary (yes, that's us). It grossly over charges for the poorly equipped rooms and shabby toilet arrangements and the restaurant, despite decent food and pleasant staff, is also a rip off with no choice except what is being brought out.

One thing, the hotel was clean and the staff were very nice. But everything else about it was very over-priced, and in many cases poor.

This is probably a good hotel if you are coming for the on site scuba diving school and have booked in for a week of activity, full board. But in this case you'll have paid a lot less per night than we did and you'll be enjoying the comradery of your group. (Unless you're vegetarian. Then you'll be very hungry.)

If you turn up unannounced as a romantic couple/family hoping to enjoy the beauty of the bay from the comfort of a pretty hotel and eat a quiet dinner looking out across the water, walk away! You will be highly disappointed! What you'll get is a cheaply-furnished room, without even so much as a TV or minibar, a shabby bathroom devoid of toiletries and hot water and a fixed price meal in a canteen with no options - and you'll pay through the nose.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank gharvey
bcn
Reviewed 9 May 2010

This part of the coast is surpringsinly unspoiled....but hotel cala jóncols is really a horrible place.
There have no serious investment on its premises during the last 50 years. Baths and rooms, despite of their cleaninless are all and in bad condition.
At restaurant there is no menu. You get the dish available and that's all.
Before visiting it think twice because it is expensive and the quality VERY POOR.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family