I searched around the TripAdvisor website for quite some time to find a nice hotel, not too far from Gerona (Costa Brava) Airport. Prestige Hotel Victoria was quite near the top of the list, and after looking at many of the pictures and reviews decided to go for it.
Reception - very helpful and attentive. They really appreciated it when we tried a little Spanish on them, but they can speak English fluently.
Room - we had a double room, not facing the Sea, but despite this, we still could see the water quite well, which was nice. Comfortable bed, cleaned regularly (every day when we were there), nice shower and bath, toilet and bidet.
The hotel is excellently situated if you are looking for somewhere a little away from the main shopping/away from loud music. It is located at the end of a very nice beach - the hotel gardens lead right onto the path beside the beach. Unlike all other hotels we saw along the Roses beach, the Victoria has a nice private hedge around the gardens, so passing tourists can't gawk at your sunbathing body. :) This does take away from the view of the Sea, but has its benefits as well.
The pool is quite small (no bigger than 10m at its widest points) -it was freezing in early May,and we only went in a couple of times, but I would think it would be nice in summertime. There is also a children's pool (about 40cm deep I think), also very small.
Lots of loungers, with cusioned pads.
Food was really good - lots of variety - definitely not chips with everything - in fact I saw chips once in our 5 night stay. Fresh fish, varieties of meats, lots of fruit and vegetables, and salads. Variety of desserts (I preferred the savoury food to the choices of desserts). We were on a half board stay, which had a nice breakfast, including eggs, bacon, (sausages or hash browns), pastries, fruit, cheeses, cereals, bread etc
Entertainment - repetitive one-man-and-his-keyboard stuff. Fun at first, but got pretty boring by the end of the week. Nice bar area, including internet access (paid), and a WiFi area there too. Drinks were a little pricey for my liking (€2 for a Coke, cocktails at €6), but nothing outrageous for a hotel I suppose.
Spa - we loved the spa area - they had a small indoor pool - about 5-6m long - very warm (especially compared to outside lol), a steam room which was great, sauna - all of which was included - they had loads of other extras but we didn't have any massages or other treatments.
Other guests - maybe we hit a weird time, but we met no other guests from the UK, everyone was from Spain, Germany or the Netherlands. No problems with lager louts when we were there - very peaceful and quite a classy place to stay.
Getting to Roses from Gerona was a little tricky. There is a coach service which runs from outside the airport terminal (didn't run on Sunday evenings, so watch out for Ryan Air schedules). Very reasonably priced though. Train goes from Gerona to Figueres, nd there's a 30min coach from Figueres to Roses. There's a shuttle bus (€1) from the centre of Roses around the loop to the various hotels, so don't spend €10 for a taxi!
After travelling around on coaches etc, I think next time we'd hire a car (roughly €100) to get to places like Empiriabrava or Figueres, or even just a supermarket to get some supplies - most of the supermarkets are located on the main road into Roses from Figueres, which is quite a walk.
All in all, I thoroughly recommend Hotel Victoria.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel Victoria is totally renovated. It is located on the seafront and only 2 km away from the center of Roses, in Costa Brava. The hotel Victoria, fully equipped with modern technology, will make it ideal for your holidays or your business stays. The hotel Victoria puts at your disposal a unique Spa where a team of highly qualified professionals will take care of your health, beauty and wellbeing. The hotel Victoria has direct access to the beach. Its 208 rooms (Panoramic, family or Standard) allow you to enjoy all the comfort and the complementary equipment at your disposal. All the rooms have: -Bathroom with hairdryer -Terrace -Air conditioning and heating - Direct phone line -T.V. - Safety box (consult pricing) -Minibar -The Superior Panoramic rooms have whirlpool tub. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Alpha Holidays Limited, Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Prestige Victoria Hotel & Spa Elit reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prestige Victoria Roses
- Prestige Victoria Hotel Roses
- Prestige Victoria Hotel & Spa Elit Roses, Spain - Costa Brava