“Nice hotel with reasonable price!”
Review of Hotel Don Pepe

Hotel Don Pepe
Ranked #4 of 44 Hotels in El Arenal
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I was in the hotel in september, during the lower season and it was really nice stay. It´s close to the beach and main street, easy to reach from the airport (bus 21 every 30minutes boths ways- the end stations). The hotel doesn´t have the pool (but who needs it, when the beach is so close :)) rooms are nice, modern and clean. AC is everywhere. Very close (on the way to the beach, down the street) is fantastic restaurant called El Dente( i hope i wrote it right:-). You can find the best paella and best sangria so far!:) And the stuff is so friendly and kind! Highly recommended!:)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hermivona
There are newer reviews for Hotel Don Pepe

Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

5 friends of mine and I stayed here for 7 nights last month. My criteria when booking the hotel was, it should be cheap and clean.
Hotel DonPepe clearly fulfilled these criteria.
As some reviewers have already mentioned, the hotel is situated on the outside of ElArenal. However, the walk along the main street was no problem at all.
I was given room number 100 which was all the way in the back and overlooked a come down alley.  The bathroom was rather small and first stains from previous guests were recognizable.
While some rooms had showers, others were equipped with baths. If you prefer one or the other you might want to ask for it ahead of time.
Impractically the TV did not have a remote. Since we hardly spent any time in our rooms - we  weren’t actually bothered by this.
Overall, I’d say that Hotel DonPepe is probably one of the most modern and nicest hotels in its category. (In Mallorca)

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 5 September 2012

starting with the pros: the rooms are clean and modern, dispose of an electronic safe and a large terrace with sun bed, the lobby area is well-decorated, the coffee at the bar is very good (Nespresso, i believe) and the male bartender is extremely professional, location is close enough to the beach yet tucked away in a side street from the noisy crowds of drunk German teenagers

on to the cons: ridiculous policy for renting fridges and tv remote controls - although I understand where the latter is coming from, I still find it ridiculous, no wifi in the rooms not even at a charge, the wifi in the lobby is free but slowish, reception staff unfriendly and not particularly helpful

stayed on a room-only basis so can't comment on the breakfast

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three of our eight nights in Mallorca. We chose this area as it was close to Palma (the capital) and the beach was highly recommended on various travel websites.
First, this review comes with a caveat: we were in Mallorca peak season (end of July)
I would not recommend this hotel for people who:
1. have a car: upon arrival, we spent over 15 min looking for parking. The receptionist suggested we find a square to park at and we ended up finding a spot on a square further up from the hotel. The next morning we found a 40 euro parking ticket, apparently (their was a sign written in Mallorquin) it was a loading zone from 6-8 in the morning for the fruit market at the square (not surprisingly, our car, a rental car, was the only one ticketed in the area). We discovered the following days that there is a market almost everyday in the area and entire streets become unavailable for parking- we had to make a conscious effort to be come back early enough from the beach to find a parking spot

2. Like nice, clean beaches
Arenal is not my idea of a nice beach. It is sandy and long but it is also disgustingly dirty and crowded.

3. Are light sleepers
For the first time in my life (honestly), I had to wear ear plugs to bed. The walls are paper thin and there were many obnoxious guests staying in this hotel.

4. Expect good hotel service
Without a proper explanation or apology, the staff forgot to clean our room and bring us fresh towels our first day. We called them at 8 in the evening after returning from the beach, in dire need of a shower and I politely asked them at least for towels, I didn't mind that the room was not made up. The receptionist told me that the cleaning staff was gone for the day and we could only get towels after midnight. My husband and I found this a little unacceptable and he called back and explained to him again that we wanted to take a shower right away and not after midnight and he told him he would come downstairs and get the towels himself. The receptionist took this as a threat and told him that if he came downstairs, he would call the police! To make a long story short, within minutes, a maid brought us the towels.

5. Require a stable internet connection
The internet was only available in the lobby and depended greatly on the number of people using it. We wanted to make flight arrangements for our trip home and using the wifi became so frustrating that we had to purchase time on the desktops available in the lobby.

Extra tip: if you use booking.com to book, don't book the breakfast, we did and found out upon arrival that they have better deals at the hotel depending on the number of days you stay. btw, The breakfast is mediocre.

Something positive? The rooms and lobby were modern and clean.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sheilatango
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Agree totally with Rowankate on all observations. My daughter booked this for the two of us on lastminute.com and we were there for 5 nights. We wanted somewhere near the airport and a taxi cost 19 euros from Palma. Going back we took the bus, it is 2 euros 50 and you can get it just opposite the TABACCOS shop on the promenade, not far from the hotel. It is bus 21. We had read the reviews and paid extra for an outside room and we were glad. I took ear plugs with me in case of noise but I was hardly disturbed at all! We did not eat at the hotel but found a great little restaurant called Al dente just down the road from the hotel and ate there every night. We got free sangria every night and a free shot and the food and service were both excellent. Would recommend.
Bus 23 will take you to Palma and it stops just at the opticians near the hotel. It costs 1€10 and Palma cathedral is worth a visit.
We walked to the AQUALAND water park, it is just up the hill and you turn right at the gas station. We got our tickets in advance from a bicycle shop down the hill from the hotel. It was cheaper and you get straight in, bypassing the queues.
This resort is definitely for the young and beautiful!! I'm 53 and there was nobody eyeing me up at the beach! Don't let it put you off. I wouldn't go back to El arenal but it ticked all the boxes for a short break.

Room Tip: If you were unfortunate enough to get a room by the lift, I think you would hear everone coming in l...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2012

The Hotel is situated on a hill (not too steep) about a two minute walk from the beach. The reception is modern, bright and clean and the staff are helpful. We arrived at 10.00am and they let us check in early as our room was available. There is a coffee lounge here with a smoking area outside. I did not use the Restuarant but it again was modern, clean and looked well designed. This hotel does not have a pool and I would class it as more of a business hotel. We had a room that did not have a balcony and the window that we had looked out onto the atrium. So there was not a lot of natural day light. Alot of rooms below us that did have balconys looked over the atrium also and I would have been diappointed with one of these rooms balconies. The room itself was quite large and tastfully decorated. There was plenty of storage space a small flat screen TV which only had one English TV chanel (I think). The rooms air conditioning unit was veyr good which did start to leak but once reported to recption was fixed very quickly. We had twin beds pushed together but they were very comfortable. The wet room is spacious and clean. The majority of the guests were aged between 20 -30 but we did not have any problems with noise at night. We only stayed here for 3 night and enjoyed our stay but if we had booked for a week. I think the lack of a outside balcony mya have driven stir crazy. Personally I think Arenal is a resort for the young (lots of fast food resturants and bars). The beach is lovely but sunloungers are 5 euros each and so are the brollies so it was 15 euros a day just to sit on the beach. But lots of people just bought lilos and portable brollies. Whilst we would not rush back to this resort. If we did we would not have a problem booking this hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose and outside balcony it may cost a bit more but it would be worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I stayed here last summer with friends on a last minute deal for four nights and was pleasantly surprised with our accommodation. It's situated on a side street, just a couple of minutes walk from the beach and harbour, although we found that the nightlife was quite a bit further up the beach (about ten minutes) but this wasn't a problem for us.

Rooms had just been recently renovated and were modern, clean and comfortable. A few people have mentioned problems with the sleep quality here but we found it to be quiet enough to get a good night's sleep. Rooms are equipped with air conditioning, a flat screen television with satellite channels (few in English, although there were music channels) and have key-card access. The only downside was that we had an internal room meaning we had a view of the air shaft which had no natural light and no breeze coming through which made it difficult to dry clothes and beach towels.

We stayed half board during our visit and while the food was just about edible, I would definitely recommend staying on a room only basis and eating out. The seafront is bursting with restaurants and cafes which are really cheap and much better quality than in the hotel where the selection was limited and always on the cold side.

Although this hotel was a great little find, I have only rated it a three-star because of the food and lack of swimming pool (we were advised there was one when we booked!). But if you're looking for a great value base and you love the beach then it's perfect for you.

The area itself is entirely German orientated with the exception of a couple of English bars by the harbour. Please don't be put off by this - everyone is friendly and welcoming, and almost everyone we met spoke English. If you're young and looking for a lively holiday away from booze Britain this is a great choice, although I would definitely not recommend for anyone past their late 20s!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends