“There's a reason it is 3 star”
Review of OLA Hotel Maioris

OLA Hotel Maioris
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in El Arenal
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a weeks stay at the ola maioris. We are a group of four adults with one 11 year old. We expected what we paid for a 4 star all inclusive family break. By and large that is what we received.
The food was of a very good for all three meals. And there are biscuits, cakes, meat and bread available all day. The waiting staff and bar staff we very helpful and attentive. Toni behind the bar was an exception, he was quite frankly rude to adults and children alike. However a nice pool and dining area. (Watch out for the slippy tiles and odd wasp).
The hotel was extremely clean throughout and any mess made in the day was cleaned by the next morning. Rooms were a little dated but very pleasant with a balcony.
MAJOR NEGATIVE is that when we arrived at 1 am there was no room for us. So we were told to stay a night at the neighbouring hotel delta (not associated with ola). In checking in there they told us there was only one room available for 3. This was unacceptable seeing as we have payed for the ola. To top it off the ola said there was a problem and that they had been searching for another room but left it in the hands of the delta. A joke!!! The reception staff were rude and unhelpful.
Bottom line is this is a nice hotel with good connections mentioned in other reviews. Also a great local beach for some spectacular snorkelling. However, do not expect to have your room ready for you for the first one or two nights.
If you want to stay here and risk not having a room you have payed your hard earned money on then ok. But if you are a family who want what you have payed for it is NOT WORTH THE RISK.
This happened to so many other British parties during our stay and some had to go a far a field as 20 mins to 18-30 hotels.
Disgusting management for what otherwise is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Tommypitt
olahotels, Quality department at OLA Hotel Maioris, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you for your review.
We apologize for the inconvenience during your holiday.
We are very happy you enjoyed our pool, dining area and cleanliness of the hotel.

There are newer reviews for OLA Hotel Maioris

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Well what can I say, just returned back from a week at the Ola, I would have to say it was one of our best holidays ever!.
After reading some of the negative reviews we were a little nervous about certain aspects, one being not having our booking, so we actually contacted (by phone) the hotel to make sure they had our booking (which they did).
We arrived at 4am to a lovely chap who gave us the key and directions to the room, we had booked a room for myself, fiance and 5-year-old daughter so we were really pleased that the room 333 had a bunk bed instead of a sofa bed, my daughter was really excited.
We were at the back of the hotel, so although we didn’t have a view of the pool etc it was lovely and quiet and sat out on the balcony most nights after my daughter was asleep. Im sorry but we couldn’t fault the rooms, people moaning about only having 3 English tv channels, really? like we were on holiday we weren’t there to watch TV!
They were clean and tidy ,ok so a little tired but nothing worthy of a complaint, the showers were great and A/C wasn’t the best but it still worked as long as you closed the balcony door .
The best thing about the hotel is the staff, Petar was so funny and they all took the time to chat around the pool and entertain everyone.
Now talking about the pool, as with all abroad holidays I think it’s a long standing tradition that you get up early to bag yourself a sun bed . my other half set the alarm at 6am put towels down then came back to bed, it fact we found this quite funny, and became part of the holiday, if you didn’t the sun beds were gone by 9am, but there was always plenty of chairs and tables to sit on , this is nothing new and people complain but you snooze you loose!.
We found the pool area really clean, yes there was a couple of cups etc, but this is because some holiday makers do not clean up their rubbish etc, that’s not the hotels fault, just poor manors, the same goes for the queue for the food ,
Im not sure what people are expecting when its says buffet this does not mean Michelin star restaurant., it means you queue for your food, like you would for a wedding or party buffet. the food was great ,yes there were some odd things ,carrots with a fry up etc but to us that’s funny! .we did not go hungry that’s for sure, nor did my daughter, there was ice cream and other snacks available throughout the day, and self services soft drinks in the restaurant and bars. .perfect,
So I do have a couple of negatives which I feel I should put. Although the mini club was fab im not sure they really understood the way children minds work. There was a couple of occasions when my daughter was in tears along with a few others. she had been completing an outfit for a fashion show later that night, when she went back stage she ran out crying saying she wasn’t allowed to do the show because she didn’t rehears ,We didn’t know anything about a rehearsal, so it was heart breaking to see her so upset. The play leader could have come out with her and spoke to me not let a 5 year old think she was being punished. Also at the end of the mini disco they throw sweets out but only a few so there are lots of children that do not get one, again trying to tell a young child why they hadn’t got one was difficult ,these are really my only negatives.and could be easily sorted.
We did hear about some people being sent to another hotel because they had no room, which I think is terrible and needs to be addressed, as this review would be very different if we had had that experience.
I would suggest you phone the hotel and check they have you, also google the hotel, as so many people complain where it was .We knew at was in the middle of a residential area which means just that. Nice and quiet not really any night life around .There are a few shops etc about 5 minute walk away, but its not rocket science to look on google and find out, just do a bit of home work. I guess some people aren’t as laid back as others, my advice would be go with the flow! and enjoy your break in the sun 
Overall this hotel was fab, we met some great people, and all three of us didn’t want to leave, would we recommend it……hell yes and we cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: We were in block b room 333, very quiet.
3  Thank Normanchops
olahotels, a at OLA Hotel Maioris, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you for your extensive review.
We are happy you enjoyed you holiday at our hotel so much.
We will certainly pass on your compliments to Petar to motivate him to keep being very funny and give good service to future clients.
We will pass on your comments to the miniclub in order to improve our services for future guests and their children.
We would like to welcome you back next year at our hotel.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Just came back from Ola Club Maioris and have positives and negatives to help raise the standard of the hotel if possible:

Positives

Peter comes out No. 1 for the adults' and childrens' entertainment, absolutely lovely guy whom my 5 year old niece adored. The other entertainment staff such as Natalie were really sweet too.

Manager of the hotel was very pleasant and helpful as were the receptionists when not under pressure from people complaining in queues!

Unfortunately that is all I have to say on a positive note as there were a lot of issues that ruined the holiday for us:

Restaurant overcrowded at nearly all times and food was not very good. Kids these days don't all eat chips and fried food! The adult food was swimming in oil and the lasagne that we tasted stank of fish which was sickening, maybe the tray was re-used for cooking after fish?

The restaurant just seemed chaotic. Long queues for every meal and not enough crockery and cutlery. There seems to be a lack of staff and they seem worn out, but that is probably due to them witnessing greedy tourists who have eyes bigger than some of their tattooed bellies! The young German chef was very sweet but needs some help from Jamie Oliver, especially for the kids' food.

The wine was awful and Tony the barman had an attitude which was not very welcoming but maybe that was down to constant queues to get a small plastic cup of drink and he is probably sick of us tourists!

The accommodation was very basic with no kettle to make tea/coffee in the morning and the air con was useless and noisy. Sharp edges on furniture so becareful if you have small children and watch out for the dangerous bedhead on the double beds. Also, door to balcony, once shut on the outside you cannot get back in which is not good if a child gets locked out.

Finally the bain of everyone's lives on holiday was the sunbed situation. It is not a holiday if you have to get up at 4am to put a towel on a sun lounger or else end up on a plastic chair upright for the day watching your children in the pool. A system of maybe tagging your sunbed with your room number for the duration of your stay so as parents with children can be near them to watch them in the pool instead of pacing up and down worried as they are out of sight. That was very stressful.

I noticed that towels were on a lot of the sun loungers all day and nobody used them but about 6pm came they came to just fold up the towels and walk away - very selfish and ignorant behaviour!

The hotel is definitely not 4 star, more 2 star. Needs a complete re-vamp. Hopefully the Ola company might do something to improve the quality.

Room Tip: Email them in advance with your requirements. Try and get room away from the pool as people continue...
3  Thank 487andream
olahotels, Quality department at OLA Hotel Maioris, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thank you for your extensive review.
We will pass on your compliments to Petar, Natalie and the hotel manager to motivate them.
We appreciate your feedback and will pass on your comments to the direction in order to improve our service for future guests.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Booked the hotel with Onthebeach.com after reading mainly good reviews about the hotel. A quick 5 day break Monday 12th - Friday 17th August. Arrived Monday mid morning to be advised that the hotel was over booked and of the 4 night stay we would have to stay 2 of the nights in the hotel next door the Delta (Which you wouldn't want to stay at!). After complaining they would move us to a 3* for 4 nights - Not an alternative. We ended up at the Delta Hotel for 2 nights with two rooms. We had to eat and use the hotel facilities of the Ola Club Maioris and whilst the food was OK you had to queue a long time for food cooked by the chef, fish, meat etc. Plenty of sunbeds although they are tightly packed together and you need to be up very early to secure them 6:30 - 7:00am. The Manager (Pedro) has a very difficult job he appears to be spending his time trying to make peace with unhappy guests and will offer guests where they have been over booked free wifi, safe deposit boxes etc providing they sign a form stating they will NOT claim compensation - something we refused to do. I will never stay at this hotel again it is NOT a 4* maybe a 3* at a push and at present will not book any further holidays with Onthebeach.com until someone advises me who overbooked us as we only booked the holiday 14 days before we flew out.

2  Thank Chesterfield63

Thank you for your opinion.
We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your holiday.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Don't waste you're hard earned money!
I'll try and keep it short. .. old/tired and smelly hotel, lots of ants all over bathroom also my partner cut her foot on the fix up job they had done on the bath. The room smelt damp and was in dire need of a revamp. There were hundreds of wasps from 9 in the morning until 7 at night all around the pool area and bar!!!! Every time we went for either breakfast, lunch or dinner we had to queue for at least 20 to 30 minutes! As long as you like salad, pork, cod or chips you'll be ok, oh and liver!! All kids food was fried!! And to top it all of the staff couldn't be more miserable if they tried that is unless you speak French, German or Russian!
so my advice is stay away! We paid £600 pounds more the year before for two weeks in a five star hotel in Mexico!!!!
4 star, yeah right.... 2 at best! What an absolute rip off!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank marcus123456789
olahotels, Quality department at OLA Hotel Maioris, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Thank you for writing an opinion.
We try to offer value for money holidays, we apologize you didn't experience it so.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We went the beginning of aug, it was very busy, loads for the kids to do, and the adults, the entertainer made the hotel, got every1 involved, now for the food. there was loads of choice They cater for the Germans, not a lot of English food, apart from for the kids, but the food was lush and plenty of it, so can't complain, only thing I will complain about is, No bottle water, and the water from behind the bar, didn't taste to great, that my only complain about this hotel, the bar staff could do with a few more staff on especially on a nite time queuing for drink, the staff are very helpful, even helping some poor gent who got lock out on his balcony, WHICH b very aware of, don't close the door behind you if u go out on it, because u get lock out, room are very basic, very clean!!! Always had cleaner buzzing about doing something, never see 1 creepy crawly, only thing u do get a lot of is wasps, from people spilling there drink, AND last but not least, the SUNBED, if your not fast your last at getting 1. People get up about 6ish to put towel out, so b WARNED, but overall would defo go again, can't really fault it apart from a few daft things, x

Room Tip: All room are basic, we was over the bar, but it all depend on what the call noisey, coz we didn'...
2  Thank Sara H
olahotels, Quality department at OLA Hotel Maioris, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you for your opinion.
We are happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
We will pass on your comments to the hotelstaff to motivate them.
We will also pass on your remarks to the hotel direction in order to improve our services for future guests.We hope to see you next year again in our hotel.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Hotel is pretty good, more good points than bad. Would have scored 3.5 if possible, but not 4.

Like others have mentioned here, the hotel has a habit of overbooking, and we spent the first night next door at the Delta. Not a big issue for us, a couple, but wouldn’t fancy it much with kids. On the upside, when I complained to the Reception Manager the next day, I got compensated with a late checkout on the last day, until 6pm, so that was a fair deal in my book!

Food choice is good, but don’t go near the end of a meal time, there won’t be much left. When we stay at other AI hotels, we tend to go late for dinner, since its quieter then but that didn’t work here. Go early and you get the full choice and it’s quieter.

There are no parasols, despite what it says on the hotel website. There are, however, plenty shaded areas and two large “roofed” areas with sunbeds. Correction, there is one parasol, it belongs to the lifeguard!

Drinks – full marks to the hotel for having self service areas in the bar (soft drinks and tea/coffee) and in the restaurant (soft drinks, beer and wine, tea/coffee at breakfast). This is a great thing, cuts the queues, and avoids having to wait for staff at meal times.

There are a number of signs which get completely ignored, including by the staff. These include, “No reserving of sunbeds”, “No inflatables in the pool”, “No more than 2 drinks per person”. Absolutely no enforcement of any of these. So go with the flow!

You will need your own beach towel for the sunbeds, unless you want to rent or buy. In any other countries these are part of AI (and we’ve been to a few, Mexico, Dominican, Cuba, Egypt), but Spain seems to be different.

Saturdays are really busy, and I think the hotel overbooks to avoid turning away a one week reservation because of one night! In my case they blamed the booking agent (I booked through Hotels4u), but I had emailed the hotel with my reservation number to request a room preference, which they acknowledged by return, but then said they didn’t have the reservation! I smell porkies! But, as I said above, this turned out well for me. And we got the preference we asked for as well.

We found the staff to be pretty good, apart from the night guy on reception, who I had an argument with, over the fact that they lock the outside doors at night until after 7am. He was rude and abrupt, until I told him I didn’t like his attitude, and he became more polite. He said it was for security, but when I challenged him the truth came out that it was to stop guests putting towels down! I argued that the doors were fire escapes, and he said you could just break the doors open (glass) in the event of a fire!!! However, when I went back and checked, there are actually separate fire escape routes next to the lifts. The rest of the staff were excellent, very hard working. I couldn’t do their job, and applaud them for their service!

The rooms are OK, nothing special, but comfy and spacious enough, although only one power socket (for the TV). As seasoned travellers, we always take a 4 way extension and euro adapter anyway.

The hotel is in a residential area, not close to a beach. A half mile walk takes you to a rocky cove, which is really nice, and has a restaurant (steep hill down the last bit, so be prepared!). I went snorkelling in the bay. There is also, within 5 mins walk, a large Mercadona supermarket in one direction, and a commercial area with a number of shops, bars, restaurants and a supermarket, in the opposite direction. There is also a free hotel bus service to Arenal (brilliant beach there) and Palma. You need to book these the day before. We used the public bus service. Bus stop right outside the hotel, less than 3 euros pp each way to Palma, 1.50 to Arenal. Ace.

All in all, we had a great week here, and just forgot about the bad first night experience!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank m4xwl

Thank you for your extensive and detailed review.
We are very happy you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
We will pass on your comments to the hotel direction in order to improve our services for future clients.We hope to welcome you back next year for the 2nd time in our hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Arenal
#4 of 44 in El Arenal
AluaSun Torrenova
AluaSun Torrenova
#19 of 39 in Palmanova

Been to OLA Hotel Maioris? Share your experiences!