“Lovely romantic break”
Review of OLA Hotel Maioris

OLA Hotel Maioris
Ranked #1 of 44 Hotels in El Arenal
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We just returned from our amazing break in ola maioris. The hotel and staff is spot on there is none negative comments so do not read them rubbish reviews. Location is very quiet and surrounded by residential appartments. Hotel is great. Staff make a lot effort to delivery best quality of service, we did not experienced any language problems and I have noticed that staff at reception desk speak in French German and English so there is no problem with communication at all! Food is amazing we have been on many all inclusive holidays like holiday village in Turkey etc but food here is just great so many choices and no burgers and pizzas but proper meat and veggies. Drinks are another strong point my boyfriend loved it as beer tasted like it should taste also good choice in coctails, liqueurs etc. rooms are not look up to date but they are very clean and being kept in perfect condition. Overall it's a great place and I would strongly recommend this hotel for everyone that like relaxing break in Mallorca.

7  Thank Klaudia S
olahotels, Public Relations Manager at OLA Hotel Maioris, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your comments about our hotel. They are very useful.
All this comments are a great motivation for us to keep working for our guests.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Fantastic value if you go all inclusive but shop around as prices for this hotel vary a lot on line. I've read a few reviews and not really sure what people expect from a Spanish 4 star. This hotel is 100 percent as advertised (Spanish 4 star) never the same as English 4 star so don't expect the Hilton especially when your paying English 2 star prices. Location is excellent been only 10 min ride from airport if you want a quiet break. No clubs etc local but some local bars 4 min walk away in the shopping area. Beach in arenal is a 10 min cab ride or a free bus from the hotel. Nice beach providing your happy to keep saying no to the Nigerians walking up and down selling sunglasses, water melon, massage , hair beads etc. Pool clean but cold (so what it's 30c here). Beer and wine on tap 10.30 - 11 pm all included plus spirits. Very family friendly having two pools, two play areas, mini golf, tennis, football enclosed pitch, volley ball and mini club. All those are included and does have a games room but this gets expensive keep throwing euros at the kids to keep them busy. Would def stay here again and do not think some of the other reviews are fair to this hotel as if you want pure luxury don't look to spend £200 for a weeks all inclusive just pay up and book a 5 star.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Surplusboy41

Dear customer,
Thank you for have taken the time to write this comments about our hotel.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Just got back from one of the Best Hols we had in years It was a H TOP .secret HOTELS,you pay one price and the company pick,.We did this in Benidorm to Hotel Dalmatas Great Hotel .
This one Was better. Had a wonderful time ,met some brilliant people
as usual ,All Inclusive the only way to travel.
The location is really A picture, there is no beach as such but there is a free bus goes to el arrenal Twice a day,but its only 3 euros on the local bus. and 10 euros in a taxi..
But check out the sea front 10 min walk to unspoilt rocky sea front and the stunning Mahres resturaunt Amazing,veiws.

6  Thank picklesasylum
olahotels, Public Relations Manager at OLA Hotel Maioris, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear customer,
Thank you for your marvellous comments about our hotel.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Just returned from a week's holiday at the Ola Club Maioris.

Like many others, I read the reviews of the hotel before booking, and having weighed up all the comments, decided to go ahead. please find below my "For's and Against's"

FOR:

Ease of arrival.
From landing at Palma airport to checking in at the hotel took less than an hour. Outstanding effort from all concerned.

Food:
I am as fussy an eater as you could wish to find, but I always managed to find something to eat. There was plentiful meat, with beef, chicken or pork available every day and turkey or rabbit on a couple of days during our stay. Plenty of salad as well as chips, veg, potatoes and pasta. Different soup available with lots of different breads and rolls and the dessert menu although a bit "samey" had so many options available, it didn't really matter.

Buses:
The hotel runs shuttle buses every day to Arenal beach which is about 20 minutes away. One leaves at 10am and returns at 4pm and there is another at 11am which returns at 5pm. You have to book your ticket a day in advance via reception, but they are FREE. The hotel also runs busses on Tuesdays and Thursdays to Palma which are also free.

Entertainments team:
The Animation team worked really hard and were all very friendly. They got everyone involved and generally made the daytime. They were all really good.

Bar:
The bar was never really busy and we didn't have to wait at all, whether for soft drinks, hot drinks or alcohol.

Pool:
The pool area had loads of sun loungers and whatever time of day we went to the pool, we never had a problem finding loungers. The water was a touch on the cold side!! but after 30 seconds or so you were acclimatised and it was fine.

Bar snacks:
When the restaurant was closed, there were bar snacks available on a help yourself basis. These were cold meats (ham, salami etc) and cheese, bread, rolls and butter or peanuts, crisps and the like. Hardly a gourmet menu but still welcome nonetheless.

Entertainment:
There is a small stage in the bar area where the nightly entertainment takes place. Sometimes the Animation team provide the entertainment, other times there are visiting acts. All in all it was pretty good, especially the flamenco dancers on "Spanish Night" and the male/female singing duo.

AGAINST:

Rooms:
The room we were allocated was room 425 in "B Block" No problem with the room per se, except we were told that it was an upgrade to a pool view. Well, if you went to the balcony, turned to the right, looked under the trees you could just about see about 1/8th of the pool. A pool view? Strictly speaking I suppose so. A view of the pool? Absolutely not.
The television was a 14" Grundig which looked like it had been rescued from the local rubbish tip. Its one of those old style TV's that is deeper than it is high. Not sure that flat screen has reached Majorca yet! The TV was sited on a glass top table, but it was too far away to be seen from the bed!! The one available English Channel was SKY News and I had to be content watching the first week of the World Cup on German TV.
Apart from Monday (The maid's day off) the room was cleaned every day. I say cleaned, what I mean is that she came in and made the beds, washed around the bathroom and left. We had sand on our floor from the second day and it was still there when we left. Never saw hide nor hair of a vacuum cleaner!
BE WARNED...the beds are rock hard!!
I have stayed in better 3* hotel rooms than this supposed 4*

Bar:
The bar opening hours for all inclusive are a bit odd. Between 10am and 11pm the bar is all inclusive. However, the bar closes at midnight and for the last hour it is a pay bar! That's for all types of drinks.

Pool:
The pool and surrounding area is covered in floor tiles. When you get out of the pool or after it's been raining, the floor is extremely slippery. During my stay, I saw two people fall over, one of whom was a small child.

Internet:
The Hotel operates a wifi network which it claims has excellent signal strength throughout the premises. The wifi comes at a cost of 6 Euros for 1 day, 12 Euros for 3 days or 24 Euros for a week. After muttering about the cost, I decided to go for the weekly access. Let me tell you, here and now that the signal strength is abysmal. The signal drops out every couple of minutes and you'll spend most of your time logging on to the system, which by the way, takes forever as there is an access code of 9 digits, followed by a password of a further 9, and you have to carry a little bit of paper with you which shows the codes (unless you can commit them to memory). I had no problem committing the codes to memory after logging on at least 100 times due to the poor access.

Staff:
I'm sorry, but I've read a lot of reviews on here about how great and friendly the staff are. My experience is totally different. With a few exceptions, I found the staff to be aloof and surly, some bordering on downright rude, especially when I overheard a guest (who had arrived at 11.30pm) complain that he couldn't get a drink without paying for it, couldn't get anything to eat as the restaurant was closed and wanted to know when his "All Inclusive" started. When told that he had to wait until the morning he lost his temper a bit and muttered "What sort of f...ing country is this?" To which the receptionist replied "It's our F'ing country" loud enough for everybody in reception to hear!!

Unseen extras:
Everything in this hotel comes at a price. Want to protect your valuables by using the room safe? Of course you can for a price and a whopping deposit.
Want to use a towel for the pool? That'll be 20 Euros deposit please, and 2 Euros every time you want it changed!
Want to play crazy golf? Tennis?That'll set you back a 10 Euro deposit.

There are obviously pro's and con's with every hotel throughout the world and everyone's tastes and expectations are varied. I accept this and am trying to be objective in this review.

Do I think that this hotel warrants a 4* rating? No. In my opinion it's 3* at best.

Is it value for money? Obviously that depends what time of year you go and how much you pay. I went for a week in June 2014 and paid a shade over £300 all in (Flights, hotel, transfers).
I don't suppose that anybody could argue that £300 for a week's all inclusive in Majorca didn't represent value for money, I was just a little disappointed by the points that I raised above.

Would I go back? This is the $64,000 question.
If I could get an alternative at a proper 4* for the same amount, then I would take it like a shot. In the absence of an alternative, then yes, I probably would return to the Ola Maioris.

7  Thank Danny C

Dear customer,
First of all, thanks for taking the time to write this review so extensive and detailed.
Our staff works very hard during the season to ensure that guests have a wonderful time, and try to improve every day. It is our objective.
All your opinions will be very usefull

Reviewed 18 June 2014

After reading loads of good reviews I was not really worried about this hotel until I got to it. I would first recommend getting a cab instead of transfers as it only 20-30 minutes from the airport to the hotel and the most it cost you would be 30 euros and no stress or waiting around for all the other passengers.
This hotel is very basic and if you go with that in mind you won’t be disappointment. The hotel was clean and the bedrooms and towels were changed every day.
The rooms were very dated. A VERY old TV and only 1 or 2 plug sockets, the balcony is small.
There are 2 pools one up the top and one at the bottom. one thing I didn’t like was there was just one umbrella which is for the life guard. You have to choose if you wanted to be in the sun all day or in the shade all day.
Food was ok, a lot of seafood and different meat but generally the same food and desert every night. The times of the restaurant are not great it’s a very short opening, the food in the bar is very basi. There is no ice cream. The alcohol is the same you get in all-inclusive hotels but if you want the real stuff instead of cheap stuff you don’t have the option to pay for it. Its get what you are given and if you don’t like it then tuff.
The only shop in the hotel is a gift shop but please do be careful as its does seem to be more expensive than the other shops, you have another shop just up the room but there nothing in it. There is a super market about a 10 minute walk other than that, that’s all there is.

THIS HOTEL IS IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE.

The hotel does run a coach service to the beach which is about 20 min drive there are only 2 timings 10-4 and 11-5, I found this really stupid. We went when the weather was really nice and found these times where far too early to be leaving the beach. We did get a cab back but this worked out between 15-20 euros so the coach is good but the times are not suitable.
There is a bus you can get that will take you into the town centre for 3 euros each but be careful with this, as the stops are not where the coach takes you. This also only run every hour and half, you will be given a time table at the hotel for this.
Beach- this beach is one the nicest beaches I have ever been on, the sand was soft, the water was warm and the sea bed was even softer. The water was very shallow so you could go far out and only be up to your waist. The beds are 16 euros for 2 beds and umbrella, but the towel on the sand is also really good and you can buy an umbrella for 8 euros.

Wi-Fi you have to pay for and you can only have it for one phone. This is the first time I would have been charged for Wi-Fi at a hotel.

This hotel is meant to be 4* but I would say it was a 3* at the most.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank jenniferelphick

Thank you for your comments about our hotel. They are very useful.
We will consider your feedback to improve.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My friend Lynne and I had a nine day holiday in May this year, at the Ola Club Majoris.
The entire staff was friendly and approachable. I found it noisy at night time, though I realise that as a family hotel it is bound to be. Next time I shall request a room far away from the nightly entertainment. The room was basic and tired looking but we were comfortable and the beautiful weather kept us out most of the time. The nicest thing about the hotel was the lovely shop in the reception area. It was full of the most gorgeous souveniers, clothes, holiday accessories. We bought practically all our gifts from here. Beach towels, bags, postcards.... it was retail heaven for the two of us ladies, who love good quality.Every morning our first port of call was 'the shop'. The food was excellent. All in all it was a thoroughly good experience. We would go back. Janet Derbyshire

Room Tip: we were on the first floor virtually above the main entertainment/restaurant area. It was extremely...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Janet D

Dear customer,
Thank you for your comments about our hotel.
We will get to Monica, the head of the shop, the marvelous review.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We booked for 6 nights and travelled from Stansted with Ryanaire and before arrival having read reviews decided to email hotel and request Room 529 which is on top floor and view overlooking pool with afternoon sun. You can see the sea in the distance. Wonderful view. Room had a big entrance with double built in wardrobes and shelving and then we had an extra bed in the room and a couch with an armchair. Very spacious indeed. One day our room was not made up and we received a note to say the cleaner had a day off and sorry for the inconvenience. Airconditioning Unit did not work and upon speaking to Pepe Manager of the Hotel he organised it to be fixed straight away. Thank you Pepe. A special mention to Silke at reception for taking the time to read our emails before arrival and giving us the requested room and for all her help during our stay, thank you.

No kettles in room so my advice is, is to bring a travel kettle with you and at the bar tea bags and coffee sachets are available but bar closes around 23:30 so therefore if you want a late cuppa or early cuppa you are in trouble.

The hotel has a new chef and the food was absolutley wonderful, from grilled fish to roast and to salads and fresh fruit, desserts, pasta and sauces and veggies but to name a few items and of course Paella. The waiting staff work tirelessly to clear the plates and glasses from the tables and there was never a dirty plate in sight. As soon as a guest left the table the staff were on hand to change the tableclothes and replenish knives and forks and side plates. Wow very good, never had to wait for a table, and generally people were okay about queuing for the food but no real hassle at all. Never had to look far for something to eat. Even the fussiest of eaters I dare to say that they found nothing to eat.

One bar by the pool and the staff were always very pleasant and worked really hard but always had a smile on their faces. They worked the dining room and the bar in shifts but always had a smile. Drinks were self service for soft drinks and that was good as never a queue for those. Always snacks to eat in the bar, toast, cheese, cold meats, biscuits, cake, sandwiches so you coiuld never say you were hungry. Crisps and nuts were replenished permanently throughout the day and evening,

Entertainment was in the bar area and the animation team worked tirelessly as well to put on evening shows and the flamenca dancers were outstanding. On a Sunday there is no kids club or activities as this is apparently their day off.

Lifesaver on duty but you have to watch your own kids as I witnessed one child's father diving into the pool to rescue his child who had gone under and the lifeguard did not notice this at all.

Monica who owns the shop in the reception area was fantastic and always very helpful. She is much cheaper than the shops in El Arenal for gifts and bags and toiletries etc and always asked if she could be of service, she had newspapers every morning so no need to go out of hotel in search of them, but be warned you have to go early in order to get one as they go very quickly.

Hotel is remote hence the special deals around but the hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the beach and to Palma but we opted for the local bus as the stops were more convenient for us to walk to and from. The fares were only 1.50 euros each and not expensive at all. If you want to tour the island take the bus to Palma and use that as your base as all the buses leave from there and you can go anywhere on the island with public transport and one can save the Pounds on tour operated trips organised through travel agents.

My only critisism I have with the hotel is that one has to pay for WIFI as it is not free for guests in the hotel. We paid £24 for 7 days coverage and you had to keep signing in as signal was always lost. After a while you forgot about the hassle and just automatcially signed in and got on with it. WHY CHARGE for this service especially being a remote hotel in a residential area??? I feel it would be a great perk and incentive to go there if the WIFI was free.

All in all we had a very pleasant relaxing holiday and recharged our batteries.

Room Tip: Room high up and facing the pool for afternoon sun, bring travel kettle with you for early and late...
12  Thank bevalt52
olahotels, Public Relations Manager at OLA Hotel Maioris, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for your comments about our hotel. They are very useful.
Our staff will be very grateful to know your good opinion about their work.
We will consider your feedback to improve.
Just one small think. For the next time, if you want, we have some kettles on the reception that you can take with 20€ deposit.
We hope to see you soon at HOTEL OLA CLUB MAIORIS!

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Arenal
Sol Palmanova All Inclusive
Hotel Don Pepe
Hotel Don Pepe
#4 of 44 in El Arenal

Been to OLA Hotel Maioris? Share your experiences!