“Dont stay at this hotel - Horrendous”
Review of Hotel Palma Mazas

Hotel Palma Mazas
Ranked #37 of 44 Hotels in El Arenal
Conwy, United Kingdom
“Dont stay at this hotel - Horrendous”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This has to be the worst hotel iv ever stayed at. The hotel looks lovely as go in, DECEPTIVE !!!
The beds are camp beds, the dining tables are hardboard covered with table cloths, food is disgusting, the bathroom had back mold on the ceiling, and it's very noisy, etc etc.
One night I got dressed up sat at the bar having a quiet drink with some friends and a carton cup got thrown down from a balcony full of water with cigarette butts, ash etc in it, YES, all over me !!! and when I complained i got told "they're young !!" Management did nothing about it !! and it continued throughout holiday on other guests.
One of my friends feet and legs had really bad sunburn on them, all swollen and blistered, and on check out day we had to vacate the room by 12 o'clock so we sat in the foyer trying to keep her out of the sun, and told her to put her legs up and try to keep swelling to minimum for flying home. The director of the hotel came shouting and bawling in spanish at us !!! we didn't have a clue what he was saying. I went to the reception desk to try and explain but there was no reasoning with this man what so ever, it was disgusting the way he treated us . I informed him I was going to put this on here and all he keep saying was SO !! SO !! SO !!
I wouldn't send my worst enemy to this hotel, even if it was for free !!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont bother wasting your money !!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Rhyl, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Go to room there are 3 camp beds up no air conditioning very noisy at night food and drink are crap we wer thrown out of our room at 12 pm and are all inclusive stopped we got comfy in the lobby as we wer not getting picked up till 9 pm and the manager come over shouting at us in Spanish 2 star hole I think not!!!!!!! Wouldn't put 1 star if I didnt have to!!!!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these El Arenal hotels

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I arrived home only yesterday from a cheap and last minute break in El Arenal with my boyfriend. We booked the hotel with the intention of only using it as somewhere to shower and sleep at night, and if that's something you are looking for, then you will be as satisfied as we were. The hotel is only a 10 minute taxi ride from the airport so there is no need to pre plan a transfer, there were plenty of taxis available at the huge rank.

After reading pages of reviews before arriving at the hotel I had all kinds of poor expectations, but for a 2* it really isn't that bad. Upon arrival at the hotel the reception staff were prompt and friendly, allowing us to check in at 11am, despite the sign on the desk stating check in is from 2pm onwards. Our room was very basic yet clean and tidy, and when we found we had not been provided with bathroom towels, the reception staff sorted the issue immediately. I would point out that due to the street location of his hotel, if having a nice view from your balcony is something high on your list of priorities, then this hotel is perhaps not for you. It overlooks locals accomodation and isn't the most attractive of views, but like I said, we simply used this hotel as a base :)

With regards to the food, my overall opinion is that it was poor and would definitely try some of the tasty local restaurants as oppose to taking the all inclusive option. (We went on a half board basis). We went down to breakfast on the first morning, and as many people have pointed out in previous reviews, the selection is simple and basically limited to cereal and toast. I opted for cereal after watching my boyfriend aim to toast his bread on the old toaster for 30 minutes, and had to leave my cereal due to the warm milk which had been left out since breakfast began at 7am. Due to this and the selection of restaurants we found in town, we decided not to opt for evening meal and so am unable to comment on that i'm afraid!

The location of the hotel itself is something I found very interesting, and the area refletcs onto the hotel a lot! El Arenal is a predominantly German area, (we saw only a few English people all week) and so the hotel was filled with mainly German and Spanish Tourists. One thing we also found out after a few days is that while British partiers go to Magaluf which I must point out is very close, the German partiers all head to Arenal and the bars it offers down the hill on the main strip of bars and restaurants by the beach. As a result, in the evenings the hotel was often very noisy with people coming in during the early hours, and so i would not recommend either the hotel or the area to families or elder couples. Also, with regards to the location of the hotel, it is just a 10 minute walk down the hotel to a beautiful beach, which can however get extremely busy during the summer months, but it is clean and the sea is lovely and clear :).

So overall, the hotel does the trick if you are looking for somewhere which is clean, cheap and close to all the local amenities just a 10 minute stroll away :) If you like a hotel which centres your holiday, then this is not for you, yet as a base to shower and sleep in a vibrant and exciting area? It does the trick!!

Finally, I'd like to ask anyone who visits this hotel to please take a few minutes to feed the local street cats which live nearby the hotel. A huge thank you to Lubadone7219 for informing me of the street cats, I found a group of around 11/12 of them, and supplying them with Tuna and Water warmed my heart. Please take time to support these cats, tourists are all they have.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank explorer2410
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Very noisily especially at night, at the morning quiet, because everybody sleep after drunk night:) No Aircondition.
I needed extra pillows, but the staff said no.
For internet, need pay extra money.
We stay only 1 night and Im very happy:)
I not recommend this hotel for family or older people.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were originally supposed to be staying at Hotel Emperador but arrived late at night to find it closed and in darkness with a note telling us to make our way to Hotel Palma Mazas...apparently, Hotel Emperador does not open for the season until 30th May (this was not stated when we booked). Don't get me wrong, Hotel Palma Mazas was clean and comfortable but there was no air con in the rooms, no safety deposit box and no English Breakfast...and these are the 3 things we look for when booking a holiday so not pleased to say the least. Also, this hotel is quite a way from beach and the it is up a steep hill so no good for anyone with walking difficulties.

1 Thank Mariecoolcat
Luino
Reviewed 30 May 2014

First of all I want to say to all the touristes to help the little bunch (about 8-10) of street cats which they live in the closer little park. For you is nothing but for cats it is so much and it can save their lifes. Please give to them some food and water. You can buy the food in the supermarket Mercadona in Arenal Park Centre about 200 meters far from hotel.
Coming back to talk about the hotel I had much much much more than expected, I was a bit scared about some past reviews but nothing of those bad reviews was confirmed. It is also important to say that all the "management" and "kitchen service" is totally new and renovated from this season. So the correct reviews about that hotel are just the lasts. The hotel is located about 10 minutes far from the beach and the main road (enjoyable sand,clean water and many shops) going up on a street full of little shops and restaurant, so you will not get bored during the short walk. It is in a quiet street and it helps for sleep well during the night. The rooms are clean and bright, everyone has balcony, tv, private clean bathroom and all the necessary things. Clean service changed to us the towels everyday. The breakfast was normal continental breakfast but the food for the dinner was awesome for the amount we paid, tasty with a good variety and everyday different dishes (meat, fishes, pasta, paella) and sweets. All the staff was friendly and kind with everyone, even is some clients were totally unpolite the staff always behaved in professional way, without get angry (personally I would kicked them out). Outside the hotel there is little swimming pool with free sunbeds where you can take sun and enjoy the time. We had half board and everything was perfect. I recommend this hotel at 100% and if I come back to Arenal if will be the first option which I will look

5 Thank Lubadone7219
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed at Palma Mazas for fourth time 7/05/2014 to 22/05/2014. We stay here because of the quiet position it occupies. Near to beach ( 10 minutes ) Bus stop for Palma just round corner No 23 to Placa Espania.or go down to front opposite Balneario 1 No 15 Approx 50 minutes to Cathedral or No25 approx 30 minutes to Cathedral " You really must pay a visit ( 6 euros entry fee but well worth it ,we go on every visit. Try the little red bus to C,an Pastille 4 euros hop on hop off interesting day.
Only downside this visit, The group has expanded " was Palma mazas and Emperador down road but now includes the Santa Monica and Allegria. Two of these were not open on our visit but appear on card giving Dining times you receive on arrival ( All within 150 metres ) It appears that the Group is under a new owner ( may be wrong )but the staff don,t seem their normal cheery self .As though they are worried about their jobs. There is also a charge now for Wi-Fi where it was always free ( 4 euros per day or 14 euros per week. I only pay around 5 pounds per month at home, and all the small Bars and Cafes " even in Palma still have free Wi-Fi Also beware if you need to change money DO NOT change it at hotel. I was offered 1 euro for 1 pound,if you walk down to Banks on front ( there are lots of them ) you will get 1.20 per pound maybe more depending on amount,
Little disappointed this time maybe time to try another hotel but we still love Arenal

Room Tip: Rooms 601 to 603 501 to 503 and each floor downwards 01 to 03 overlook the pool
5 Thank ALLANG976
#11 of 44 in El Arenal
whala!beach
whala!beach
#12 of 44 in El Arenal

Been to Hotel Palma Mazas? Share your experiences!