“Good weekend break”

Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in El Arenal
Rossendale
“Good weekend break”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed at Palma Maza for a long weekend all inc. The room was clean and basic with a view over the small pool. Not really a place for scenic views as it is on a side street. 10 mins walk from the beach and marina. There is no air con which in heat of late 20's, was missed. Breakfast was cereal and toast, with coffee and juice, which I found ok. Lunch and dinner had limited choice, but there was always soup and salad, so again ok. The staff I found to be friendly, which I think depends how they are spoken to, they all passed the time of day when I spoke with them. So yes a 2 star hotel with I think 2 star standards, you get what you pay for, I had a relaxing enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank WendyTRossendale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I booked the Palma Mazas based on looking at reviews and it being OK for children and in a not too noisy location. On arrival we were moved to their other hotel the Santa Monica which was on a busy road and totally unsuitable for a family. The hotel was full of teenagers/young people who were loud and drunk and kept us awake through the night until 6.30am. The noise from outside was just as bad. The staff did not care at all and we had no option but to spend a sleepless night. I would never have booked the Santa Monica as it has dreadful reviews (trip advisor shows is as 45/49 in El Arenal whereas the hotel I boked is 24/49)

Beware that they may send you to this dreadful place

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mandible19

Travellers are raving about these El Arenal hotels

Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This has to be the worst hotel iv ever stayed at. The hotel looks lovely as go in, DECEPTIVE !!!
The beds are camp beds, the dining tables are hardboard covered with table cloths, food is disgusting, the bathroom had back mold on the ceiling, and it's very noisy, etc etc.
One night I got dressed up sat at the bar having a quiet drink with some friends and a carton cup got thrown down from a balcony full of water with cigarette butts, ash etc in it, YES, all over me !!! and when I complained i got told "they're young !!" Management did nothing about it !! and it continued throughout holiday on other guests.
One of my friends feet and legs had really bad sunburn on them, all swollen and blistered, and on check out day we had to vacate the room by 12 o'clock so we sat in the foyer trying to keep her out of the sun, and told her to put her legs up and try to keep swelling to minimum for flying home. The director of the hotel came shouting and bawling in spanish at us !!! we didn't have a clue what he was saying. I went to the reception desk to try and explain but there was no reasoning with this man what so ever, it was disgusting the way he treated us . I informed him I was going to put this on here and all he keep saying was SO !! SO !! SO !!
I wouldn't send my worst enemy to this hotel, even if it was for free !!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont bother wasting your money !!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Rhyl, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Go to room there are 3 camp beds up no air conditioning very noisy at night food and drink are crap we wer thrown out of our room at 12 pm and are all inclusive stopped we got comfy in the lobby as we wer not getting picked up till 9 pm and the manager come over shouting at us in Spanish 2 star hole I think not!!!!!!! Wouldn't put 1 star if I didnt have to!!!!!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I arrived home only yesterday from a cheap and last minute break in El Arenal with my boyfriend. We booked the hotel with the intention of only using it as somewhere to shower and sleep at night, and if that's something you are looking for, then you will be as satisfied as we were. The hotel is only a 10 minute taxi ride from the airport so there is no need to pre plan a transfer, there were plenty of taxis available at the huge rank.

After reading pages of reviews before arriving at the hotel I had all kinds of poor expectations, but for a 2* it really isn't that bad. Upon arrival at the hotel the reception staff were prompt and friendly, allowing us to check in at 11am, despite the sign on the desk stating check in is from 2pm onwards. Our room was very basic yet clean and tidy, and when we found we had not been provided with bathroom towels, the reception staff sorted the issue immediately. I would point out that due to the street location of his hotel, if having a nice view from your balcony is something high on your list of priorities, then this hotel is perhaps not for you. It overlooks locals accomodation and isn't the most attractive of views, but like I said, we simply used this hotel as a base :)

With regards to the food, my overall opinion is that it was poor and would definitely try some of the tasty local restaurants as oppose to taking the all inclusive option. (We went on a half board basis). We went down to breakfast on the first morning, and as many people have pointed out in previous reviews, the selection is simple and basically limited to cereal and toast. I opted for cereal after watching my boyfriend aim to toast his bread on the old toaster for 30 minutes, and had to leave my cereal due to the warm milk which had been left out since breakfast began at 7am. Due to this and the selection of restaurants we found in town, we decided not to opt for evening meal and so am unable to comment on that i'm afraid!

The location of the hotel itself is something I found very interesting, and the area refletcs onto the hotel a lot! El Arenal is a predominantly German area, (we saw only a few English people all week) and so the hotel was filled with mainly German and Spanish Tourists. One thing we also found out after a few days is that while British partiers go to Magaluf which I must point out is very close, the German partiers all head to Arenal and the bars it offers down the hill on the main strip of bars and restaurants by the beach. As a result, in the evenings the hotel was often very noisy with people coming in during the early hours, and so i would not recommend either the hotel or the area to families or elder couples. Also, with regards to the location of the hotel, it is just a 10 minute walk down the hotel to a beautiful beach, which can however get extremely busy during the summer months, but it is clean and the sea is lovely and clear :).

So overall, the hotel does the trick if you are looking for somewhere which is clean, cheap and close to all the local amenities just a 10 minute stroll away :) If you like a hotel which centres your holiday, then this is not for you, yet as a base to shower and sleep in a vibrant and exciting area? It does the trick!!

Finally, I'd like to ask anyone who visits this hotel to please take a few minutes to feed the local street cats which live nearby the hotel. A huge thank you to Lubadone7219 for informing me of the street cats, I found a group of around 11/12 of them, and supplying them with Tuna and Water warmed my heart. Please take time to support these cats, tourists are all they have.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank explorer2410
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Very noisily especially at night, at the morning quiet, because everybody sleep after drunk night:) No Aircondition.
I needed extra pillows, but the staff said no.
For internet, need pay extra money.
We stay only 1 night and Im very happy:)
I not recommend this hotel for family or older people.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were originally supposed to be staying at Hotel Emperador but arrived late at night to find it closed and in darkness with a note telling us to make our way to Hotel Palma Mazas...apparently, Hotel Emperador does not open for the season until 30th May (this was not stated when we booked). Don't get me wrong, Hotel Palma Mazas was clean and comfortable but there was no air con in the rooms, no safety deposit box and no English Breakfast...and these are the 3 things we look for when booking a holiday so not pleased to say the least. Also, this hotel is quite a way from beach and the it is up a steep hill so no good for anyone with walking difficulties.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
#9 of 13 in S'illot
Ipanema Park
Ipanema Park
#13 of 44 in El Arenal

Been to Hotel Palma Mazas? Share your experiences!