“Terrible Holiday!!”

Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in El Arenal
Brookeborough, United Kingdom
“Terrible Holiday!!”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

As soon as our bus had dropped us off at the Hotel, my two friends and I just wanted to get back onto the bus and fly back home! We literally did not know how we would have stayed for a full week. Noone spoke English! The floors & lift was not clean. The room was clean however completely dated. The food was the most disgusting food I have ever put to my mouth! Thank goodness for the shop across the road that sold crisps! I ate chips at all meals, and added cheese to vary my diet! Noone speaks English here, so we felt so alone! Thankfully we found one woman who spoke English in one of the wee spots were you look for the activities! She showed us a to a English Bar, it was our life saver. They served lovely food! The area itself was not bad, we were close to the beach, and went on the glass bottom boat tour, to the Waterpark and lay bout the pool! Very few loungers for the number of guests staying! Was definitely not a pleasant experience! We could not wait to get home to eat nice food!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.....
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank FermanaghGirl1990

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Uk
Reviewed 9 July 2012

First to mention is the fact that the hotel itself is not that bad, but people staying in this place are probably making it so unpleasent to stay in! Lots of young German people- not being rasist but we were in a group of 5 girls for a hen weekend with 2 seperate rooms, where 2 of german visitors entered our room and didn't wanted to leave!!! That's how bad it can get even if you ignore them.....
We were leaving the hotel on Sunday aroung 6:30pm (as that's the time we had our transfer pickung us up) our flight back to UK was at 10pm.
On the arrival we were given little printed notes with our rooms numbers and information on what is included in our stay and until when. Table on those papers stated that we have also breakfast included on Monday morning which was a bit unsual however as no one on arrival informed us of when we need to return the keys for both rooms we have stayed there until 6:20pm on Sunday and during the day no one have tried to contact us from the reception and let us know that if we don't vacate both rooms until 2pm we will be charged at 20euros per room. That hotel only accepts German visitors as all the signs are in German. Receptionist with really bad English told us to pay and where we have tried to explain our point and show the proof of what was given to us on arrival she just turned to us saying "they will be here in 10mins" our question was "who??" and then she said " police is coming". This was just really unpleasent experience to hear that she's calling the police not even trying to understand the lack of information we were given on arrival to this hotel. I strongly advise to whoever that wants to go and have a good time to avoid this area as you will hardly get anyone speaking English, plus you will be surrounded only by German people that are really nasty and rude!

The only advantage of this hotel was the fact that it is really close to the beach (full of German people as well) and it's the centre of Can Pastilla.
Food was ok but we mainly ate chips as it was the safest option.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank bambino k

Travellers are raving about these El Arenal hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I definatelly do not recommend this hotel to anyone,especially for those who speak only english.
Staff unfotunatelly is not english spoken, and they do not inform you about anything.

At the end of our holiday when we were leaving the hotel, ( around 18.00 -as this was the time when we had our transfer to airport) the lady at the reception ( with broken english) said that we need to pay extra 20 euros per room, as we didn't leave the room before 12.00.

Nobody said anything to us when we were checking into the hotel.
All the signs in the hotel were purely in german language. how we suppose to know that??
We said , that we are not gonna pay that amount of money, ( as we wre not infomred about that) and lady with the smile on her face said that she is calling the police.

AVOID THIS HOTEL IF YOU WANT A PLEASANT HOLIDAY!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank m r
Midlands
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I thought I'd submit this review as me and my partner are currently on holiday at the hotel and I am writing this review from there. The reason for the mid holiday review is that on the run up to our holiday I looked at the reviews and in horror saw they were mostly bad. This obviously caused some distress to the point where we nearly changed accomidation. We were only stopped as On The Beach who we had booked through were completely unhelpful and also would have charged us a pretty sum.

The hotel is not as bad as some of the reviews would suggest. Over the last four years I have mainly stayed in four and five star accomidation. This summer however like most people we are trying to cut back and therefore decided to give a three star a go.

I'll get the bad points out the way first....

The rooms are small and very hot as there is no airconditioning, there is a small fan, which is pretty effective whilst under it but does not impact on general room temp. Our room does have a balcony which would let colder air in although as its 30 to 20 outside and there is bad hummidity it makes little impact.

There is a lot of noise both from within the hotel at night and the street outside. This is mainly druken people yarping and messing around, very frustrating if your like me and need it to be quite to sleep. However this does tend to stop around 12 to 1 in the morning or certainly reduce.

Arenal is a German resort and although I agree the Germans can be rude, if you come to a German resort you have to take it on the chin, there are also a lot of French and Spanish too. Very few English but some.

The Good Points...

The hotel has a lovely pool with plenty of sun loungers. The staff are all very friendly and unlike some higher grade hotels are always willing to help you in taking advatnge of our all inclusive stay.

The food is a point of mixed feelings. I agree with other reviews the there is limited choice and there is a lot of recycling of food from dinner to the evening. However I've not been unable to find food to eat and what I have eaten has been to a good quality. Another plus is the way the food is restocked when running low, which in other hotels i've found can be a slow process.

Summary...

I think this hotel does what it says on the tin. If you're looking for a cheap week then this place will fit the bill. I think it would be made so much better by having air con and I would say this is my main gripe, especially when this hot. I think a large part of people experience with this hotel is expectations and cost. I would certianly need it to be cheap to come back.

I also would recommend this hotel for night owls, as me and my partner are not and usually try and hit the sack about 10, no chance here. Also probably best suited to early twenties as most of the other guests are.

If you have already booked and looking at reviews as a after thought like me (probably not the best way round) don't stress too much as I've stayed in worse but also stayed in better. If you have'nt and considering I would urge you to find accomidation with Air Con as this really can be a life saver after a day in the red hot heat.

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 599thchris
Hanzinne
Reviewed 22 August 2011

This hotel is really a joke, no way for me to get back, it's the first time in my long vacancy history where i can't wait to get out of this freaky hotel, the rooms are reaaaaaaally hot, noisy, doors are always broken or like in paper (we could hear our neighboor when he's farting...enjoy !)...

Food is just like dog food (i mean, eat by a dog and get back in my plate...)

Spanish are really good at recycling, the morning, we get fried mushrooms and tomatoes, at the 12 lunch, return of the mushroom in a chicken with mushroom plate (hem hem...) and the 18h lunch....we'll see the tomatoes back in a sauce for pastas, but there is no cheese...what a joke ???

The german people are just like pigs, noisy, nasty, and disgusting, run away if you would like to rest a little on your hollidays !!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Vendrame L
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

This hotel is basic but clean and the food is ok. It is all German tourists and the food and area is catered towards them which is fine if you are happy with that. The food wasn't always edible i.e. the fish and meat was overcooked but if you are happy to eat out a couple of times then this wouldn't be a problem.

The problem we had was that we were 5 girls travelling and there were a lot of young German men in our hotel who regurlarly shouted crude comments, played their music around the pool, sat drinking at 10 in the morning and making a lot of noise in the night.

One night a group of men tried to break into our room by kicking the door, unpicking the lock and shouting crude comments. We were very scared and didn't open the door but rang reception (on our mobile as the hotel phone was dead). They did come up but to see if anyone was there but by this point they had left and the hotel did not even apologise or ask if we were ok.

I would suggest girls alone do not go to this hotel and that although the hotel itself is ok the surrounding area is only suited to party goers.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank lollypops1984
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2011

If you are are supporter of a German football team then you will be at home in the swimming pool. Very noisy at night and in the afternoon around the pool (they only surfaced after midday)
Staff could not enforce the no footballs in the pool rule, most of the staff were quite rude but then they had to deal with disgusting behaviour from groups of German 18 - 30's. Throwing rubbish everywhere, falling around drunk and clearing their throats in the pool. The lifegaurd spent all day serving beer and burgers at the pool bar (very helpful). THIS IS NOT A HOTEL FOR FAMILIES. The resort is very German. The room was very basic but clean. The all in buffet was good a variety and there was always something you could eat

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple