“Great stay!”

Mediterranean Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in El Arenal
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We visited here in June 2014, as a young couple.

The hotel is lovely and clean, reception is welcoming and staff are friendly enough. The rooms are a little on the small side, however this didn't bother us too much as we hardly spent anytime in the room.

The location is great, straight down the hill and you are on the beach which is lined with pubs,clubs and restaurants. There are yummy waffle stands too ;) great after a few jugs of sangria.
Food at the hotel wasn't great - but there are planty of places on the strip to get some lovely dinner. Cocktails are out of a weird tap and quite awful. Stick to shandy and you will be fine.
Bar was often left unattended, hotel is rather short staffed. A bit annoying when it is hot and you want a drink however this problem could easily be solved if the hotel hired more people.

Wifi isn't great, but again this wasn't a major priority for us.

We got the bus into Palma which took around 20/30 mins. Well with a visit to the cathedral and it'ds lovely to have a stroll down all the quaint winding roads. There are beautiful shops and restaurants in this area.

1  Thank Jennifer H

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We just got back yesterday from a lovely week in El Arenal, Mallorca - spent at the Mediterranean Bay Hotel. This will be an extensive review of the hotel + staff + services + resort + our trip overall...so brace yourselves for a long read! :)

1. Hotel - very nice, overall:
* location - very good, close to shops, restaurants, the beach - actually in the heart of everything.
* building & surroundings - kept in excellent conditions, modern. There is a jacuzzi & a medium-size pool + a relaxation area.
* rooms - very nice, cosy (though couldn't hurt to be a little bit bigger), modernly furnished, impeccably cleaned daily (beds made & sheets changed, towels changed if you leave them on the floor - the swan they make out the towels are very cute :)). Some face the Jacuzzi in front of the hotel & the street and others the back pool & relaxation area. Any room is fine, in my opinion.
* reception staff - very nice & professional, helpful. Champagne is served to you at check in :)
* restaurant staff - I've seen reviews praising Pedro & his team. I would say they're average, and I honestly don't understand his job (unless you have the IQ of chicken and can't figure out on your own what table to sit at). Furthermore, the first night we went to dinner, not knowing that Pedro has favorite guests for whom he "holds" tables on the outside terrace, I had the "audacity" to sit down at an empty table and go fetch my food. By the time I got back, he had literally taken my purse and wanted to move it to another table, because "he had booked it for someone else". After we complained directly (thank God I speak fluent Spanish) and threatened to escalate him to his managers (whatever happened, he had no right to touch any of my personal belongings while I was not there), we became part of the "favorite guests" team - and suddenly had a table reserved on the terrace every evening. Distasteful, if you ask me.
* breakfast food - very nice: bread, meat, cheese, omelet/eggs, sausages, cereal, etc. Plus juice (the chemically tasting kind, not good, in my opinion) and coffee. Same every day, but good.
* dinner food - very good, as I see it, but I like Spanish cuisine. My mother, who I traveled with, did not enjoy it, however - so I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Limited choice of cooked dishes, especially when it comes to sidings.But you have salads, meat, vegetables, fruit and sweets (those I did not like)
* services - we had a half-board meal service (drinks not included at dinner), but we did not need lunch, so..(All Inclusive has soft drinks included, but I'm not sure about alcoholic ones). Nice sunbeds at the pool area, though not nearly enough umbrellas. Wifi worked excellent, and you just have to ask for the password at the reception. Picnics can be provided (instead of breakfast or dinner) if you ask for it at the reception 1 day in advance (if you leave early or you go on trips).

2. El Arenal
* as a resort - absolutely wonderful. For me, it was a holiday with my mother (one we take together every year :)) and we both prefer the excitement of an animated city-like resort, to a deserted, God-forgotten place.This is exactly what you can find here: bars, restaurants, clubs, people walking on the streets at all hours of the day, etc. El Arenal is actually part of the Palma City extended metropolitan area, and quite close to it (take buses 25 of 15 to Palma city center - they travel regularly until late in the evening).
* prices - quite reasonable. If you have a mini-bar in your hotel room (the Mediterranean Bay does), you can buy cheap drinks (water, sodas, beer, etc) at the many supermarkets - I recommend Spar (1.5L water bottle 90cents/ 1 soda can 80cents / 1 San Miguel beer 1euro, etc). If you want to try Spanish specialties: paella (between 7.95-12 euros each), Sangria wine (3.30 euros a cup / 12euros a 1L serving), "ensaimadas" sweets (7.5euros smallest box). Bus fare: 1.5euros/pers/1 way. Beach sunbeds: 16.5euros/day/for two adults + umbrella.
* restaurants - I can recommend El Nilo and the absolutely lovely Varadero Beach Club (the Nautic Club in El Arenal).
* beach - the part close to the Nautic Club is wide and the sand is like white flower - a complete delight to your feet. The further you move away from the Nautic Club, towards Palma, the beach narrows and the sand becomes a little bit more chunky. Water clear, clean and warm :) , and very shallow for a long way from the shore - so excellent for kids. Very few showers for so many people - and NO restrooms - so watch out!!

3. Optional trips - there are a lot of mini-travel agencies located across the resort and the prices & trips are basically the same. They do not pick you up from our hotel - the meeting point for all trips is at the Bahamas hotel uphill at 9am for any trip you book.
* we took the trip to Cuevas del Drach - ABSOLUTELY worth every cent - amazing!!!. The Caves are a unique natural monument, housing the largest underground lake in the world - lake Martel - and the Chopin concert they organize every day (the same pieces are being sung there there for over 50years) is probably something you will never forget (your sight sense is completely dulled, as they seat you in a concert hall built in the largest room of the cave, and turn of all the lights, therefore your hearing sense is highly peaked. The artists - 1 piano & 2 violins - play from a small boat that travels across the lake. That music heard in the dark, combined with the amazing acoustics of the cave, will pleasantly "haunt" me for a long time from now!)
* the other trip we took was the one to Formentor & Alcudia - very nice. Alcudia is an adorable little village with Roman ruins and the loveliest market you've ever seen. The beach at Formentor is ..ok: the water is a bit colder than in the south of the island, but amazingly clear and has the color of the sky. The beach itself is covered in pine leaves, which sting your feet - so, not so great. The natural scenery there, however, is impressive. But the best moment of this trip is arriving at the viewing point of Es Colomer - where you can really feel above the mountains and the sea.. and take pictures worth framing and showing your grand-kids.

4. Other attractions - Palma, the capital of the Island, is a nice, cosmopolitan city (but, in my opinion, all that's worth visiting is the Seu cathedral, the Bellver Palace and the endless streets with shops and restaurants in the center). You have the Aqualand right in El Arenal and the Aquarium really close (5 or 6 bus stops).

All in all, we had a lovely experience in Mallorca this year! :)

Room Tip: All are ok, in my opinion :)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
23  Thank Raluca T
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Some people clearly like to moan or are hard to please! I stayed there for 5nights. I liked it! I think the hotel was really nice and clean. Rooms were cleaned everyday-nice and cosy. Food was nice and fresh. Staff were nice. Good location-close to all shops,few restaurants and beach. My only little problem was that Wifi didn't work on my phone for a while when I got in to hotel first and air con could have been better. Apart from that pleased with stay. And yes there are a lot of Germans in Arenal so if that's your problem simply don't go...

• Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Diana H
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Well.was here for 2wks.check all things in ur room work before u unpack.our safe did not work.could not fix it.then had to move to different room.if u r looking for some english food.well there is none.u r second rate if u r all inclusive.paying guests come first.reception desk.well she is the worst in all our hols.she will not help in any way.was.nt flying till 23.45.book out is 11.00.no facilities to shower.we had to pay for a room for another night so we had shower facilities.if u r after entertainment.well u get ivan the terrible.on twice a wk.not very good.take my hat of to pedro in the restaurant.miguel on the bar.not enough staff over all.rooms cleaned every day.will not b staying here again.not a 4 star.stayed in better 3stars.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Leslie E
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

As previous comments cant fault hotel for being clean and tidy. Very regimented at times had to wait for hotel pool to open at 10.o clock each morning and only 3 umbrellas round pool which was totally ridiculous so had to queue 2 get there first . Holiday totally spoilt as had late flight back to be told hotel has no communal shower/changing room . receptionist told us we would have to shower in the outside shower by jacuzzi which had no privacy overlooked by residential blocks of flats and hotel guests also cold shower then had to change in reception which was totally unacceptable and humiliating. Reception did not seem to care at all had our money didnt give a dam how we felt just kept shrugging shoulders and said they were busy. Cocktails choice of 4 only !!!! Which pre made in small plastic cups ....dont bother and bar shut at 11pm !!!!. So get early flight home be prepared to fight for sun bed and hopfully you dont drink cocktails. Only there 4 days but holiday spoilt at end the way we were treated with no respect . Not a 4 star never encounted any thing like it.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank showler
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This hotel is very nice and well maintained. It is modern and in a good location for shops, restaurants and the beach. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was well run and Pedro is an asset. Miguel was a very competent barman and had a great sense of humour. The food was very good and we always found something to eat each day.

The rooms were clean, however very small, the room was the smallest I have ever stayed in. This was ok for 4 days, anymore than that and it may become annoying. It is an adult only hotel which was nice. This part of Majorca is very Germanic and a lot of the hotels, bars and restaurants cater for this.

We took a bus to Palma and visited the old Palma, well worth the trip, very quaint and architecture was lovely to see. Took 30 mins and a couple of Euros to get there.

Room Tip: Rooms poolside are quieter, they do have suites for an extra charge.
2  Thank H0lidaygirl50
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Well will start with good parts, clean rooms but small and we had a suite which would say was only normal size room. Pedro and team good in the restaurant.Also good choice lunch and dinner. We had problems on check in as our safe and telephone did not work, at first we were told we could not change rooms by front of house female staff who should never have been given that position. Changed rooms by persistance !! No communal shower room to change to travel to airport as we were flying late, we were told by the same front of house female "go and shower outside "!! The same morning because of no communal room 12 guys were having to change their clothes in the foyer.
Definately would not leave anything lying about either.Never before have we encountered anything quite like this in a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: A suite will give you a bit more room than the basic very small rooms
4  Thank Angie659
#70 of 78 in Playa de Palma
Hotel Don Pepe
Hotel Don Pepe
#4 of 44 in El Arenal

Been to Mediterranean Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!