“Do not stay here!”

Hotel Gracia
Rugby
“Do not stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2009

I would not recommend this hotel. Even though I booked it as a cheap getaway and wasn’t expecting much, it was worse. First of all we arrived at 10am but couldn’t get into room till midday which we wasn’t aware of – but luckily we could leave our luggage in a locked room.

I asked for sea view, and yes I had a sea view apartment but if you looked to the other side everything was run down, building sites and basically looked like a very rough area.

I didn’t have 1 good nights sleep, even though we are a young couple that went out till late we were constantly woken by other noisy residents all hours, you can hear every person walking down the corridors, people shouting/laughing, the lift door opening, doors slamming and children/dogs in the street, and then the bin men outside early hours - it was ridiculous.

Apartment was ok but in need of refurb, small balcony, small pool that had no sun when we were there. Food was all German and as were half board we made the effort to try it a few times, then I just got fed up of trying 2 eat food that I didn’t like – it was quite a strange selection but each to their own.

Only positives: maids cleaned rooms and changed towels daily, receptionist spoke good English and was helpful (only person in hotel who does speak English). Hotel is 1 min walk to the beach and 5-10 min taxi ride from airport but I would get the bus, its much cheaper. I thought the taxi transfer would be about €10 but it was €12.90 then for some reason €6 was added on so we ended up paying nearly €20 for a 5 min drive which cost us €4 for us both on the bus back. Bus’s are really frequent and take you most places. We went to C’an Pastilla (next resort) for €1.25 each on bus 15 and we also visited Palma City – 20mins away (good for shopping) then went onto Palma Nova (30 mins from Palma). Its worth the visit even though its about 1 hour in total (if you get the express but from Palma City underground), it was nice to be in a environment with more Brits and only cost about €8 return each in total.

As for El Arenal itself, the beach is lovely, shallow water till far out so is quite warm and good for kids but overall the resort is too German for me. I am used to resorts being very mixed with different countries but Arenal is totally aimed at the Germans and made me uncomfortable - everyone speaks to you in German, menus are mainly in German, entertainment/bars are all German (except 2 British bars that we found –Blues Bar and Sportsmans bar (both by harbour) – both owners are very friendly. Apparently the water park is brilliant but we got there on 25th Sept and it had already closed.

I have learnt from the fact that you get what you pay for and I wouldn’t go back to the hotel or resort (maybe the resort is better in peak season).

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2009

I booked this hotel online despite some of the other reviews and I must say i am very glad i did. it is excellent value for money, fab location maximum 1 minute from the beach if you walk slow!. the entrance has 2 steep steps to get into the reception so wheel chair users would have some problems, i didnt see any ramp but that dosent mean it did not have one. the hotel had a lift. it was a small hotel with a maximum of 400 guests at full capacity. you were greeted personally each morning by the staff.

we arrived in the afternoon and the reception was waiting for us and greeted us by name before we even got to the reception. our room was ready and waiting and we had a fab view of the harbour. the receptionist greeted us and he spoke perfect english, along with the obvious spanish, german, dutch and french! i was very impressed. the other receptionist spoke all 5 languages too. we were informed about meal times and that the reception was open 24 hours a day and then joked 24 and a half hours actually. all the staff were lovely and very helpful. we were made to feel very welcome immediately.

I will agree that the buffet selection was limited but all food was fresh and the hot food kept hot , and the cold food kept cold. I will try pretty much anything and what i ate all the food was tasty. wine was good value at 1.50 euro per glass from the bar, water at 1.80 for a 500 ml bottle. all the rooms were half board and i think for the price excellent value for money.

there was a small pool well kept and clean, 7 sun loungers, 10 or so chairs. the pool area had sun from about 11.30 am to 6pm ish in june.

arenal is a great resort and while it is predominantly german this is not a drawback at all as most germans have very high standards so i just see it as an advantage. Playa de palma beach is about 5km long and very flat also the beach is accessible for wheelchairs with decked areas and wheel-ways so that wheelchair users can access the beach. the beach has great facilities with a cafe/WC every 500 mts or so. you do not have to purchase from the cafe to use the toilets.

when i had a problem with contacting my taxi transfer as the number was not connecting the receptionist told me not to worry and that she would contact them and confirm my pick up. she made several calls and got through to the booking agent and then to the taxi for me and booked our pick up. this was at no charge and was no trouble for her she was more than helpful. she also chatted with guests and when not on duty played cards with people too.

the rooms are smoking rooms but do not smell of cigarettes as i am a non smoker i did not notice any smell at all! we had a room with 3 beds this was booked as a twin room. a nice balcony facing the harbout and beach with a lovely view.

all in all i would recommend the hotel to all my friends and am looking forward to my next stay there. we were asked what time we would be leaving on our last day rather than given a check out time, however i think standard check out applies about 11 am. they have a comfort room with a shower for people leaving late. and you cna continue to use the half board facilities till you leave the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family