“Good value hotel”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Cuenca
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good value hotel”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Room large, clean, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast good fresh fruit and bread etc but coffee weak however can ask for it to be made stronger. WiFi variable OK to emails. Bus stop on main road 200m towards city Center past first traffic light close to a pedestrian crossing. Every hour at approx 25 to the hour in summer and weekends. Parking on roadside is easy. Staff helpful and friendly. Definetley would stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
NHCIUDADDECUENCA, Director de Recepción at NH Ciudad de Cuenca, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
I would like to thank you for the time you took to complete Tripadvisor Survey relating to your stay at the hotel I lead.
I really appreciate the comments, that I have shared with our staff, about Breakfast, wifi, location, room and staff, they are the principal of our values, a service characterized by professionalism and continuous effort to satisfy all our customers.
Hoping to welcome you for your next stay with us so that I can meet you personally.
Recive my best regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at the NH Ciudad de Cuenca for one night in late July. We were attracted to this property because it offered easy parking and an easy-to-reach location. The parking lived up to expectations, with plenty free parking to be found around the hotel. We were able to find multiple spots near the park just north of the hotel.

The front desk staff were efficient and helpful. Their English was good enough to assist us with the room, but we were unhappy to find that we had been given a smoking room even though we had requested non-smoking. To be fair, we did not mention this to the hotel as we were very tired from our travels and just wanted to get some rest. Regardless, it was annoying to have had this happen. If you stay here, make sure to verify non-smoking status upon check-in.

Aside from the smoking issue, the room was clean and a bit cold. There was evidence of water damage on the walls (stains running from floor to ceiling) but this was simply a cosmetic issue. The bathroom water was a bit troublesome as it fluctuated in temperature every 30 seconds or so. While showering, there were several times where the water temperature increased dramatically and this made it difficult to shower. I had to be ready to jump out of the stream whenever this happened. Additionally, Spanish hotels do not use shower curtains but instead have glass walls that cover half of the tub to keep the water in. At this hotel, the glass wall was especially inept at holding the water and much of the bathroom got wet as a result. This would be good to keep in mind as you will not want to put electronic devices anywhere near the shower.

Despite these problems, there were still some positives to report about this location. The room came with a large free bottle of water. This was perfect for us as we were quite parched from our travels. The room had a mini-bar, tv, and coffee maker as well as a hair dryer in the bathroom. Breakfast was included in our stay and we greatly enjoyed our meal prior to departure. The offerings included eggs, meat, bread, pastries, yogurt, teas, coffee, fruit, cheese, warm milk, and juice. I would say that breakfast was probably the best part of our stay.

As hotels go, this one was not too bad, but it did leave some room for improvement. If the price is right and you just want a quick place to rest your head, this place can certainly suffice. Personally, if I were to return to Cuenca, I would probably seek out another hotel, but I wouldn't eliminate this hotel in the event that I couldn't find another reasonably priced establishment.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
NHCIUDADDECUENCA, Director General at NH Ciudad de Cuenca, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thanks for your time and for tell us about your stay at the Hotel NH Ciudad de Cuenca.
I appreciate your compliments on certain aspects of the hotel and also suggestions, I apologize for having assigned a smoking room when I had requested otherwise, we are now considering converting the hotel non-smoking hotel.
Regarding other comments we'll review the maintenance protocols to solve the above shortcomings. Thanks for your understanding.
We hope your next visit to try again.
Until then, Yours faithfully
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just had a couple of days in this superb Spanish town. We drove here, and the hotel is ideally placed on the main road into Cuenca. Parking is free and plentiful outside the hotel and there is a circular bus that leaves every half hour directly to the very top of the town for 1 euro.. A pleasant downhill walk back, through the winding streets, beautiful views. No easy parking in the main town and very tight roads so from that point it's ideal. We walked back to the hotel from the top on 4 occasions, days and again in the evenings. It takes about 10 minutes from the central shopping area.

Next, the hotel. A good 4 star, clean and well equipped room and bathrooms. Light and bright and airey. Good quality comfortable beds and bedding. Very helpful staff. Breakfast is plentiful and good quality. All the usuals that you would expect in a 4**** hotel. Fruits and yogurts, pastries and breads, hams and cheeses, and hot options cooked to order, eggs bacon etc.

All in all we would certainly recommend this hotel, especially if you want to offload the car.

Thanks NH.

Room Tip: 213 was at the end of the corridor and looked out over an airy square with a couple of local bars, n...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
NHCIUDADDECUENCA, Director General at NH Ciudad de Cuenca, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
First, let me show you my sincere gratitude for taking the time in sending us your review through Tripadvisor and for the trust you have placed in our hotel.
I really appreciate the comments, that I have shared with our staff. They are the principal of our values, a service characterized by professionalism and continuous effort to satisfy all our customers. I assure you that commentes like yours provides with the esteem to continue in our daily effort. Thaks for comments about room, breakfast and especially about location, it is a perfect description, thanks a lot.
Recive my best regards,
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had two nights here in a Junior Suite and enjoyed every minute and was not that expensive. Checkin was easy, friendly staff who spoke good english. Our room was on the 6th floor and consisted of lounge area with TV and pod coffee machine. Plus bedroom with the biggest bed you can imagine with another TV and a mini bar. The bathroom was clean and nice toiletries and had a big spa bath and this is probably the only complaint I would have is that the space is too tight and you need to climb over the toilet to get in and out of bath/shower which could be hard for some people and a little dangerous when wet.
There is plenty of paid parking underground with direct lift access to the hotel. There is good wifi.
Breakfast is good value with hot dishes cooked to order and lots of other options.
It is a walk to the old town but not overly so. The bus does pass the hotel.
Plenty of small restuarants nearby.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
NHCIUDADDECUENCA, Director General at NH Ciudad de Cuenca, responded to this review, 22 July 2014

I really appreciate the comments, that I have shared with our staff. They are the principal of our values, a service characterized by professionalism and continuous effort to satisfy all our customers. I assure you that commentes like yours provides with the esteem to continue in our daily effort. Thaks for comments about room, wifi, parking, breakfast and location, thanks a lot.

I want to inform you that there is a project to solve the problem of space in the bathroom of the Junior Suite. I hope it can be carried out shortly.

Recive my best regards,
Altea, Spain
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We wanted to visit Cuenca, and since we could not get a room at the Parador, we chose this hotel from Internet, considering the recommendations. And it was a very good hotel. But so far away from the Old Town we wanted to visit. Everything was to our satisfaction at the hotel, it was only the location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Playa Flamenca, Spain
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed for a long weekend, 13 til 16 June, and were not disappointed. Reception was easy and very friendly and informative giving us a map of the town with places of interest marked. Our room was as we requested and was spacious and clean with a great view over the little park in front of the hotel. The air con waas efficient and unobtrusive and the beds very comfortable. The bathroom was immaculate and decked out with the usual facilities and fripperies.The chair in my room, why there is only one chair in a twin room I'll never know, had a wobbly leg and I cut my finger on it. Reception immediately tended my cut and the chair was replaced without argument at once.
Parking was easy with plenty of space around the hotel, for a charge there was underground parking at the hotel. A bus into town was available from a stop about 80m up the hill from the Hotel.
We booked breakfast, 9€ per person, and it was really worth it. You could eat as much as you liked from a vast supply of fresh rolls, fruit, meats and cheeses. You could also order freshly fried bacon and eggs etc. A word of warning here. We have been to various Hotels in Spain and if you ask for a poached egg what you get is a beautifully boiled egg, lovely yolk and firm white, in its shell and in a small coffee cup. Take your own egg cup as it is really boiled egg.
The price might seem to be a bit steep but compared to many tourist areas Cuenca is slightly dearer than most, Menu del Dias at over 15€ is the norm for a decent one.
Down-town is business orientated and full of Cafe Bars and not many proper Restaurants though there are some nearer the Old Town but parking is a nightmare, more on that later. We chose to go behind the hotel where there are a series of squares and little parks all with little cafe bars and some Restauants. We watched the World Cup match sitting outside a cafe with beautiful sirloin steaks and pork chops surrounded by fans. A great night.
The Old Town is really a fantastic place to visit but be advised the streets are very narrow and parking is impossible. Some of the streets our GPS suggested were built for 2 laden mules side by side and if you have an SUV or large vehicle forget it. There is a market alongside the river most days and if you can make it climbing up to the Cathedral is a must. The views are awe inspiring but you must be fit to get there. The Tourist routes out of the town into the countrty are well worth doing as the scenery is amazing with giant cliffs and perilously poised boulders abounding.
All in all the Hotel was great and the surrounding town and country fantastico.
We had a terrific weekend than you Cuenca and NH Hotels.

Room Tip: Our room, 207, was to the front and on 2nd floor. It got the sun all day but kept cool and was very...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Been there last weekend.
This hotel is located in the new side of town, a bit far from de Old town. If you intend to return not to late (past 21h30) there are a bus running on a circular path that takes you to the center, on the other side the hotel is located on a quiet neighborhood.
Very clean, rooms are spacious enough, good bathroom, straight decoration. We're located in the 5th floor and the room was quiet. Good climatization.
Friendly staff. The breakfast (payed separately) in my opinion worth the value.
The location is the main reason why I didn't give a 4

Room Tip: Rooms x12 and x13 are located on the end of corridor, therefore less vulnerable to noise of people p...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends