“Unexpectedly delightful”
Review of Posada de San Jose

Posada de San Jose
Ranked #1 of 31 Cuenca B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I had to visit Cuenca for work and so the university paid for the hotel, which was chosen by them. Since public universities are given a special low rate throughout Spain, I never expect much when I am sent somewhere for work. In fact, the usual scenario is to be given a microscopic room with a view of a brick wall. Obviously the university employee is not in a position to complain since he/she is not paying for the room. To my great surprise, I was given a lovely room with a small sitting room and a private balcony with the most breath-taking view that I had seen for a long time. I found the room quaint but also comfortable with a nice assortment of Rustica soaps and shampoo. Even the hair-dryer worked. The breakfast room has the same amazing view as from my balcony. As for the breakfast itself, I am not a huge breakfast eater and prefer a continental-style breakfast. So, for me, everything was fine, but someone with dreams of bacon, eggs, hash-browns, and sausages might suffer here. The posada is also in a great location for sight-seeing (if I had time), in the old part of town next to the cathedral. I called my husband to tell him what he had missed by not coming with me on this trip. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Pamela F
There are newer reviews for Posada de San Jose

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Cuenca is a spectacular town, and we enjoyed our brief visit there. While the Posada has an outstanding location and the view from our room was breathtaking, Besides that, the room was adequate and the breakfast at 9 Euros pp was OK. But, my main gripe is below. To be fair, I emailed the hotel before I posted my review to let them know my dissatisfaction.

The night we arrived Cuenca, I left my purse on the train from Madrid, and was in distress about it. My wallet, ID, credit cards and camera were in my purse. I asked the night reception to call RENFE on my behalf, two calls in total, to attempt to report the incident. Because of language barriers and hold times, she terminated both phone calls. I thanked her for her help.

When we checked out, imagine our surprise when we got a bill for the phone calls. I know long-distance calls come at a cost, but to charge us 9 Euros when I'm in a state of panic? Do long-distance calls in Spain on a Friday night really cost that much? Is this hospitable behavior from a hotel, to charge for phone calls when a guest is in need?

To me it suggests that the Posada doesn't care about their guests all that much beyond the niceties of checking us in and out. They will get their business no matter what, so they don't really have to try that hard.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Risa D
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We discovered the Posada de San Jose as we were walking through the old city of Cuenca. I was struck by it’s ancient history and close relation to the central plaza of the old city. I loved the idea of staying in an old monastery that was hundreds of years old. However, having had a wonderful stay in Hostal Canovas we were slightly hesitant to change locations. However, after some contemplation we realized that the opportunity to stay in an ancient monastery built onto the side of a mountain would be unlikely to come up again soon. There were a couple of rooms available, but we opted to pay a little more for a room overlooking the canyon. I would say that this was absolutely the right option. It was an amazing view and great experience. Overall the hotel lacked certain amenities mostly due to its unique history. For example, there was no air conditioning, but the thick stone walls and a nice breeze from the canyon kept the room cool. There was no wifi, and as we were still planning certain aspects of our travel this became slightly challenging. Other than that the hotel room was clean, neatly furnished and beautiful in a very ancient and historic sort of way. It was truly a unique experience and you truly felt as though you were at the center of very ancient and unique city.

When it came down to it, the room was slightly more expensive than some other locations around Cuenca but the experience was truly unique and amazing. It is undoubtedly to coolest and most interesting hotel I have ever stayed in. There is something so cool and very unique of having to pick up and leave your key at the front desk because your room key is a giant skeleton key that goes to this crazy ancient lock! We had a great view of the canyon and the Parador de Cuenca across the mountain. Also, as an added bonus the rooms with a view of the canyon have actual double beds, as opposed to pushing two single beds together. A beautiful ancient hotel and a truly unique and amazing experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren G
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I'm normally the last person willing to pay more for a view at a hotel. Here, however, the view makes this hotel something very special and is well worth the higher rate. On the edge of the cliffs of old town Cuenca, the Posada de San Jose offers a gorgeous view of the chasm below and of the evening sunsets. To capitalize on the beauty of the views, our room had a lovely small sitting room and a balcony. This naturally sets up for a very romantic setting. Additionally from an aesthetic point of view, the old stonework that the building is made of enhances the beauty and history of the hotel. As for the room, comfortable, spacious, and clean would be the best description. My only possible complaint would be that the bed was a little old and somewhat rickety and shifty, but this is the most minor of complaints. Geographically, the Posada de San Jose is also centrally located within two blocks of the main plaza in the old town section of Cuenca All in all, this hotel is far above your typical two-star hotel. Finally, to travels like myself who covet an air conditioned room, don't be deterred by the fact that the Posada de San Jose is not air conditioned. We stayed there when it was a good 90 degrees outside yet, because the building is made of old stone and there is often a strong breeze coming in across the chasm, the room temperature was quite comfy, possibly even a little chilly at night.

Room Tip: When planning your trip here, do your research regarding the buses getting up and down the hill. Wh...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Nearly weren't going to overnight in Cuenca but really glad we did or we wouldn't have found this lovely place. Biggish room with a terrific view on the edge of the precipice with an internal balcony with french doors so you can sit at the little table with a bottle of wine taking in the vista. The interior and furniture maintain the ambience of the fabulous old building. Parking is a bit of a traipse up the hill - but you are going to go up there for a look anyway - or there seems to be a parking station a few doors up the road. The hotel complimented the whole atmosphere of Cuenca which is a fabulous town to explore. And affordable too.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The atmosphere in this hotel was just wonderful. Very rustic and old world. We were fortunate to get a room with an amazing view of the gorge. It was large with a sitting area, and had a little patio. We got some bread, cheese and wine and enjoyed the view before going to dinner. This proved to be the best hotel-room view of our whole 3-week road trip. The room was clean, bed was relatively comfortable for a Spanish hotel bed, the shower had ample hot water and pressure. The breakfast was not great, but adequate.
A caveat: they tell you they have parking in a garage up the street, then tell you you can pull your car right up front. Don't do this! To pull right up front you have to drive off the main drag (which is already quite narrow) onto a street that is even more narrow. You can't turn around and change your mind once you are on this street and you are forced to turn left into this tunnel that would not be big enough for most mid sized cars. Our car barely fit and it took all manner of backing up and moving forward in increments to get through that tunnel. We spent maybe 20 minutes on this ordeal and had several cars waiting. Very stressful. Once we were in the car park, we realized it was all completely unnecessary! You can just pause your car on the main drag and run an extra 30 feet or so to leave your suitcases, and drive to the car park without all the headache.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank squeakybones
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I stayed in October for 1 night in a superior room, it was beautiful! calm quiet and relaxing with stunning views, spotlessly clean and the sheets and bedding were super. 2 balconies, double bath which we used without either of us having to suffer the plug! power shower and just wonderful bits and bobs in the bathroom, bath robes etc. Incredible location and to top it all Jenny suggested a wine in the evening that was devine to go with our fab meal! all in all. excellent! we will be going again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple